‘I Am Not Holding My Breath’ After Asean Summit, Human Rights Defenders Say

geovalin

The Asean Summit in Phnom Penh ended Sunday after 16 summits, 70 new declarations, one presidential gaffe and at least four clogged toilets, not to mention hundreds of thousands of dollars in hotel fees and catering.

Ukraine’s foreign minister took the signing of a partnership with Asean, after years of planning, as a show of support for his nation under siege. Timor-Leste was brought into the bloc in spirit but must wait to add its voice to political discussions. Prime Minister Hun Sen received pledges for more than $50 million in aid packages from Japan and more flights to the Philippines. 

Apsara dancers performed. Tom yum and laab were served on silver trays. Condensation from air conditioners dripped from the ceiling.  

Watching from outside the Sokha Hotel, activists and human rights defenders in Cambodia and Myanmar shrugged: As usual, they said, it was doubtful the yearly summit would lead to any material change for their situations.

read more https://vodenglish.news/i-am-not-holding-my-breath-after-asean-summit-human-rights-defenders-say/

2022-11-13T081618Z_1960690736_RC2UKX9GX72F_RTRMADP_3_ASEAN-SUMMIT-scaled.jpg.1ea9f9ad2c46919084f86aeef0c06132.jpg