4 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Agoda gives 12% discount on mastercard some days.

12% discount on an overpriced hotel.

Agoda is nothing to do with currency exchange.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dj230 said:

whats the point of a wise card? just use your normal bank card? makes no sense

You know that the OP is from Australia don't you, and that he's a youngish tourist not a retiree? His "normal" bank card would be issued by an Aussie bank and they charge like wounded bulls. Overseas ATM wdwl fee, 3% currency conversion fee on top of God knows what base rate, it's fair dinkum deadset rediculous mate.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Do they charge of if you pay directly to the merchant, like a debit card, rather than withdrawal first?  I do not recall there being a fee for this.

I think they charge extra for cash withdrawals as that was not their focus:. Just an extra perk in emergencies.

I found it useful:. Land, darn my normal ATM card doesn't work, phew, wise got me covered for the taxi to the hotel.

Wise card is definitely not good to use for cash from an ATM even if you have converted your funds to baht. Unfortunately it is still recognised and treated as a foreign issued card ( which it is) with the attendant exorbitant charge the Thai banks that operates the machines will charge you. You do though get the benefit of  baht for baht or if you haven't already converted the Wise exchange rate of the day rather than the one applied by the Thai bank, MasterCard or Visa.

You are warned of the charge in the ATM screen before the point of no return and can cancel the withdrawal.

It is very good for "in store" or online purchases. And that why I use mine for and only for these.

On 11/15/2022 at 2:33 AM, Lemsta69 said:

You know that the OP is from Australia don't you, and that he's a youngish tourist not a retiree? His "normal" bank card would be issued by an Aussie bank and they charge like wounded bulls. Overseas ATM wdwl fee, 3% currency conversion fee on top of God knows what base rate, it's fair dinkum deadset rediculous mate.

I am in my 20's and use my credit card, it has the same fees as wise, i've done a comparison, might save you 1 or 2% max, which is about $10-$20 per $1000 spent which you get back with cashback anyways, it might even end up costing more.

Edited by dj230

4 minutes ago, dj230 said:

I am in my 20's and use my credit card, it has the same fees as wise, i've done a comparison, might save you 1 or 2% max, which is about $10-$20 per $1000 spent which you get back with cashback anyways, it might even end up costing more.

what Aussie credit card gives cashbacks and fee-free ATM withdrawals?

3 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

what Aussie credit card gives cashbacks and fee-free ATM withdrawals?

the wise card gives fee free ATM withdrawals?

i use my card in thailand and have compared the fees to a wise transfer, they're about the same, the only time i use wise is when I need cash in thailand or paying rent because a card would incur cash advance interest.

Edited by dj230

36 minutes ago, dj230 said:

the wise card gives fee free ATM withdrawals?

i use my card in thailand and have compared the fees to a wise transfer, they're about the same, the only time i use wise is when I need cash in thailand or paying rent because a card would incur cash advance interest.

Wise is a Visa debit card, not a credit card. I was responding to your question which was something like "why not use your normal bank card".

As I already mentioned, normal Aussie bank debit cards are prohibitively expensive for ATM pulls which is the topic. There are only a few options to reduce the fees, ING Orange Everyday being one of them.

I note from another post that you might be Canadian. If so then there's no point comparing your card options to Australian ones, it's a totally different universe down there.