Process of buying and registering a secondhand vehicle

Karlo

I am planning to buy a used Nissan pickup from a car dealer in Thailand, can anyone who has recently done this explain the process of purchase and registering  a vehicle. Additionally, what is the best process and cost effective method of transferring money from an overseas country to a bank account in Thailand.

Pretty sure you need a certificate of residence from immigration.

I did anyway. I then took the transfer documents from previous owner signed etc along wirh my COR letter from immigratiin and registered motor in my name.

Like a lot of things here process may differ province to province and getting COR may need a 500 baht nudge.

I did not need it but know others that have. Speed the process up type of scenario. All above board, of course.

Dealer purchase should be smoother but i know a guy who got a real run around from the dealer.

A blue book is part of the transfer docs and your name will go onto that once complete. May be green i get confused we have bikes and cars. But you need that and need to check that book data tallies with car. VIN no. Etc.

Get that book before handing over cash. Check it. Ensure you can get a COR before paying anything. 

Wise is a good option but for over 50k its only available to bkk bank and kasikorn accounts.

7 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

S0econdhand pay cash cause interest rates if you borrow are high. 

The dealer will sort out all paperwork you needed. 

Yes I was going to pay by cash, thanks for your response

13 hours ago, rankric said:

Pretty sure you need a certificate of residence from immigration.

I did anyway. I then took the transfer documents from previous owner signed etc along wirh my COR letter from immigratiin and registered motor in my name.

Like a lot of things here process may differ province to province and getting COR may need a 500 baht nudge.

I did not need it but know others that have. Speed the process up type of scenario. All above board, of course.

Dealer purchase should be smoother but i know a guy who got a real run around from the dealer.

A blue book is part of the transfer docs and your name will go onto that once complete. May be green i get confused we have bikes and cars. But you need that and need to check that book data tallies with car. VIN no. Etc.

Get that book before handing over cash. Check it. Ensure you can get a COR before paying anything. 

Wise is a good option but for over 50k its only available to bkk bank and kasikorn accounts.

Thanks for your advice, I will look into the COR. If the car is registered in my Thai wife’s name will it be any easier and will she need a COR.

12 hours ago, Karlo said:

If the car is registered in my Thai wife’s name will it be any easier and will she need a COR.

She will only need her Thai ID card

I only use my pink card here in CNX - no COR - even get my name in the blue/green books in Thai !

15 hours ago, Karlo said:

Yes I was going to pay by cash, thanks for your response

Thanks for your advice, I will look into the COR. If the car is registered in my Thai wife’s name will it be any easier and will she need a COR.

Best and easiest way if buying in your wife's name. 

On 11/17/2022 at 4:29 AM, rankric said:

Long time ago i telephoned my UK bank and they paid enough to buy a new car into my Thai bank account. 

On 11/18/2022 at 3:54 AM, FriendlyFarang said:

Nothing is stopping you from doing multiple transfers. Of course a bit annoying having to do 20 transfers, but other than wasting 10 minutes of your time it's doable.

The initial money will be 800,000 thb to buy a vehicle which I will now register in my wife’s name for ease.