BKK to USA, Business Class, 200lbs Extra Baggage?

kokesaat

My wife and I are planning a trip to the US, probably ANA business class.  In the past, we've been able to check our bags to our final destination in Texas, usually involving a short hop on a Delta flight from Dallas.  Our booking will be BKK-our final destination (we've done this a few times).

We're considering carrying about 200lbs of extra baggage, beyond the generous ANA baggage limits.  (https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/guide/boarding-procedures/baggage/international/baggage-over/) I know we'll incur extra charges, but just wondering is any of the seasoned travelers have done such a thing and whether there's anything we should be aware of before making our reservations/plans.

Each checked piece of luggage may not exceed 32 kilos.  When you purchase your ANA ticket you may at that time indicate that you want to bring extra luggage along.  Not sure if you have to clear customs on your first port of call in America or not, but it would be a non-starter if that is the case.

49 minutes ago, Rumpelstilskin said:

Each checked piece of luggage may not exceed 32 kilos.  When you purchase your ANA ticket you may at that time indicate that you want to bring extra luggage along.  Not sure if you have to clear customs on your first port of call in America or not, but it would be a non-starter if that is the case.

We normally clear customs in Dallas, but then bags are put back into transit, without having to go through the domestic airline checkin process.  Is that what you were referring to or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks for responding

• Thanks 1

There can be a *few* situations where excess baggage is limited - I know this can occur with some central/south American destinations during peak holiday periods (which is usually flown with narrow-body fleets, thus making a bulk-out situation or weight restriction possible) but as the OP is assessing Trans-Pacific which is almost always flown by wide body fleet, there’s rarely ever a “weight” restriction nor “embargo” on passenger baggage.

That said, it might be wise to proactively reach out to the carrier and double check 

I also agree with double checking with the carriers *cargo* arm to see if that might be an alternative.. do know the security rules etc for shipping air *cargo* are usually different than that associated with normal “accompanied” passenger baggage situation. 

Might be cheaper to buy extra economy seats and use their baggage allowance.

You should call the airline as they might offer discounts for purchasing extra baggage allowance ahead of time, sometimes a discount. 

200lbs, hopefully you aren't taking the family buffalo. 

Edited by MrJ2U

3 hours ago, kokesaat said:

My wife and I are planning a trip to the US, probably ANA business class.  In the past, we've been able to check our bags to our final destination in Texas, usually involving a short hop on a Delta flight from Dallas.

What is your final destination?

What is the routing?

This is a round-trip ticket, issued in Thailand, and ticketed by NH (ANA)?

You've flown this routing before, with ANA?

I have a few concerns, but the last leg may be on a smaller regional jet (Endeavor?) which may have baggage restrictions. And/or you might get hit with a surcharge from them.

Obviously you should check with the ticekt-issuing airline for baggage questions.

9 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I work for Delta and airline policies are much the same.

Split the excess bags between the two of you and it'll be around $400, but I can't say for sure ANA's policies

Cargo would cost more

Sounds like that would be two extra bags each (assuming 50 lb/23 kg ea.).  Might be the way to go.  Some years back ( 5?) we sent a bunch of stuff to Thailand from USA and used some local Thai folks who would aggregate a lot of stuff from customers and fill up a sea shipping container.  I forget the details, but it all worked fine and stuff was delivered all the way to Loei province.  We sent enough to almost fill the back of a small Toyota pickup truck.  I forget the cost (which wouldn't be relevant in these days), but it was by volume rather than weight, IIRC. 

If taking as excess baggage on a business class ticket then 33kg/70 lbs per piece subject to excess baggage charges.  Would take 3 to reach your 200 lbs needs.  I believe it is $200 per item from the US so should be similar when translated to local currencies.  Worth checking to see if excess bag pieces are allowed at business class limits of 33/70 or if they revert back to 22/50 like economy weight limits.  If your excess weight is not packable into suitcases there are other potential fees if size or weight exceed the normal checked baggage limits based on suitcases.      

It's the final leg that may cost big.  2 bags on international but airlines  like delta only allow 1 domestic. Each additional 23kg bag is 40$ on economy. SW allows 2 checked bags.   I do think on business Ana is 2 at 33 kg.  But then these will be overweight on domestic.  One thing to consider ís shipping from DFW to your final destination. 

7 hours ago, Elkski said:

It's the final leg that may cost big.  2 bags on international but airlines  like delta only allow 1 domestic. Each additional 23kg bag is 40$ on economy. SW allows 2 checked bags.   I do think on business Ana is 2 at 33 kg.  But then these will be overweight on domestic.  One thing to consider ís shipping from DFW to your final destination. 

If it's checked through to the final destination, and I'm assuming on an ANA Star Alliance partner there is no extra charge other than the excess baggage

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

If it's checked through to the final destination, and I'm assuming on an ANA Star Alliance partner there is no extra charge other than the excess baggage

Yes, but the OP mentions Delta (DL) as the airline operating the last segment. ANA are Star Alliance, and Delta is Sky Team.

And yes, in many cases the excess baggage fee would cover all segments.

And I do not think ANA flies TYO (HND/NRT) - DFW direct, non-stop.

So much is lacking in the OPs post that any recommendations will be flawed.

Thanks for the replies.  In the past, when booking with ANA from Bangkok, we've always booked to our final Texas destination.......may have gone through Houston, and for sure went through Colorado at least one time.  In all those cases, we went through customs, put our bags back onto a conveyor just outside of customs, and picked them up at our final destination.  We'd do the same.

I most definitely will inquire with ANA.....but thought I'd throw out the question to see if anyone had experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks again.

24 minutes ago, kokesaat said:

Thanks for the replies.  In the past, when booking with ANA from Bangkok, we've always booked to our final Texas destination.......may have gone through Houston, and for sure went through Colorado at least one time.  In all those cases, we went through customs, put our bags back onto a conveyor just outside of customs, and picked them up at our final destination.  We'd do the same.

I most definitely will inquire with ANA.....but thought I'd throw out the question to see if anyone had experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks again.

You bought an interline ticket from ANA so whatever you owe ANA for excess baggage that is all you owe regardless of the onward carrier

In the US you always clear customs at the first port of entry, then your bags are moved on to transit where they enter the domestic system

Edited by GinBoy2