grundfos Scala 2 reliability

poobear

I have a need for a quiet water pump and was happily considering buying a grundfos Scala 2 recommended here for the lack of sound and reliability.

After looking for more reviews online, mostly Amazon, I found too many customers with the same complaints with the reliability and lack of response from the company over any issues. I still need a quiet pump so I was wondering what peoples experience was here with that specific pump or any other constructive suggestions for a quiet pump or the best way to reduce the pump noise. Right now the pump is located outside the bathroom/bedroom windows and I don't really have another good place to relocate it. The house is single story 3 bedroom,2 bath and I will use the pump to draw from an underground tank. thank you for your help.

Why would Amazon reviews on service have much to do with Thailand?  I can not speak for that model but have used Grundfos pumps for about 20 years and highly recommend.  My current CMB3 type unit is 8 years old with no PM and just had to replace pressure tank and appears set to go another decade (this is a pressure tank type unit so pump off most of the time even when using water).  

• Like 1

I have a SCALA 2.

Only people who have a problem will post.

The many, I am one there are others on this forum, do not bother to post.

As to reliability and service. I had a problem with my pump about 3~4 years ago,

The pump had been in service for about 12~18 months, I knew that there was a problem that would need major service, I took the pump to my local (60km away) dealer in KK, they plugged in the pump to check, then they took a look at the plate on the back of the pump (they said I didn’t need my receipt as the information was on the pump), I was given a new replacement pump as a repair would have taken some time (I assume they wanted the failed pump for Grundfos investigation) They also told me I could have taken a video and sent it in for diagnosis.

They would have visited had I asked, but as I needed to do a shopping trip taking the pump in was the fastest easiest option.

Total time from pulling into the dealer to driving out with a brand new replacement 10~15 minutes.

Grundfos Service, unbelievably good

Grundfos Reliability, there may have been a problem, it was eliminated immediately 

Grundfos Response, impossible to be better

The only point is I bought from the main distributor, buy from a big box store, save a few Baht, will you get the same service? I don’t know.

how to reduce pump noise? Simple, constrict a box using something like 20mm ~ 25mm sherawood (make sure you leave air access) line it with dense rubber and the pump will be silent.

ours has no sound proofing, is in the ceiling and is not at all obtrusive, we can hear it running if we listen carefully.

FWIW our pump is designed to bypass with a power cut, that it why the pipes are hard to understand 

9FCBA671-7BCE-410F-9343-7C5FD5EB18D6.thumb.jpeg.5d1a7e07e9f9b1ce3b6d5ebd59753d89.jpeg

11 minutes ago, unheard said:

@poobear

How much of a difference in motor noise between the Grundfos and the usual Hitachis and Mitsus?

Significantly quieter.

our Mitsubishi EP155 was quite audible from behind a block wall, the SCALA 2 is barely noticeable behind an extremely lightweight door that has significant gaps In it and is actually in the living room.

it is actually behind this “door” that as you can see provides virtually no sound reduction 

ACB5C1F0-7865-4F07-91C1-E10086D050A9.thumb.jpeg.f9f8d743c80a633f19653a05e9d34fad.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, unheard said:

Have you had a chance to compare the noise levels produced by your Scala 2 as compared to the "regular" pumps?

As I mentioned very much quieter, it is on a rubber pad. It can also be set to be double the pressure of the majority of pumps, the increased pressure makes no difference to the noise level.

C8429789-3839-469D-9581-8A4D1DDEDF4A.thumb.jpeg.92fc8c473a094622964568a0bfa92002.jpeg

If we were to need another pump I would buy the same again.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your info on the pump, reliability and service experience in Thailand. Also thanks for the tip on building a sound enclosure for the pump. I think I am going to back off the Grundfos and go with a Kikawa. The reviews in Thai are excellent  about reliability and noise. 

Wow somebody complaining about pump noise ... I got a Mitsubishi Wm-p150gx2 if im correct . Anyway , besides 2 times now change the pressure tank , the pump has been flawless , including noise . Yes , i can hear it , when it is silent but a standard fan at highest speed will surely block all the noise coming from the pump. The pump is really next to kitchen window which is always open and prob about 3 m from my bedroom . I only know the pressure tank fails because i hear the pump switching on much more then needed . I guess some people got diff standards. 

Just now, sezze said:

Wow somebody complaining about pump noise ... I got a Mitsubishi Wm-p150gx2 if im correct . Anyway , besides 2 times now change the pressure tank , the pump has been flawless , including noise . Yes , i can hear it , when it is silent but a standard fan at highest speed will surely block all the noise coming from the pump. The pump is really next to kitchen window which is always open and prob about 3 m from my bedroom . I only know the pressure tank fails because i hear the pump switching on much more then needed . I guess some people got diff standards. 

forgot to mention , i got the pump now 10-12y ... so change the pressure tank every 5-6y .

Well I will add a complaining noise post - neighbor has old constant pressure pump with a solenoid that sounds like a jack hammer.  They build an enclosure and there is a wall between house but had to remove window in bedroom to be able to sleep.  It is noisy - but that is what you have in Bangkok where homes are very close together.  But it does make noise a concern when buying.  Grundfos was about the only pump that reported such data and our experience confirms they are very quiet - unlink Mitsubishi models we had previously used (400w models as large house).  But the primary reason for the Grundos was ability to adjust water pressure to real levels (3.5-4) bar currently.  I suspect there are other quiet pumps but so far have not seen actual measurements published (but that may just be me as not currently looking).  But pump noise can be a real concern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been doing a bit of research on automatic water pumps and sound pressure levels is one of the items I wanted to compare (amongst other things).

Data on domestic water pumps is difficult to come by as far as noise levels are concerned.

But first an infographic on comparing common noise levels:

image.png.b78bcdea2f976bc9eadf80277b837fd3.png

FWIW here is a table of my findings re noise:

Sound Pressure Levels for Automatic Water Pumps

image.png.855fd1cd2f7d4bfef173c2e1f0cd20a4.png

So the Grundfos Scala 2 is by far one of the quietest water pumps on the Thai market.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Encid said:

So the Grundfos Scala 2 is by far one of the quietest water pumps on the Thai market.

My experience exactly 

Using your figures compared to the Mitsubishi 

the Mitsubishi is 2.462289 times the loudness, 4.466836 times the sound pressure & 19.952623 times the acoustic intensity.

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm