Cambodian Rice Narrowly Defeat Thai Fragrant Rice as World Champion

webfact

image.jpeg

BANGKOK, Nov 22 (TNA) – Thailand’s Hom Mali fragrant rice lost its world championship to Cambodia’s “Phaka Lamduan” rice in the World’s Best Rice 2022 contest in Phuket.

Chukiat Opaswong, honorary president of the Rice Exporters Association, said Cambodia’s Phaka Lamduan fragrant rice narrowly beat Thailand’s Hom Mali 105 rice because the Thai rice variety was less fragrant. He blamed the defect on prolonged flooding in Ubon Ratchathani province.

The association on behalf of Thailand sent only one rice entry to the contest which drew 20 entries also from Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, India, Pakistan, the United States and China.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-1062661

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai News Agency 2022-11-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

He blamed the defect on prolonged flooding in Ubon Ratchathani province

Damn the rain.. Hom Mali has lost it's crown.

To be honest the quality of the Thai supreme rice has been slipping for a long time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/22/2022 at 1:09 PM, webfact said:

because the Thai rice variety was less fragrant

Well done Khmer rice farmers!

Cambodia won the World’s Best Rice 2022 Award in World Rice Conference (WRC) yesterday after it was commissioned to participate in the world-class rice competition in Phuket province of Thailand, according to the agriculture minister.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501187052/cambodia-wins-worlds-best-rice-award-2022/

On 11/22/2022 at 1:09 PM, webfact said:

He blamed the defect on prolonged flooding in Ubon Ratchathani province.

Oy vey!

Rice is something they’re supposed to be good at - yet they still manage to find a way to step on their own dicks.

Getting back on track gentlemen, I have also thought that the Thai rice, hom mali, has been lacking something of late, and even went over to buying Basmati rice, however I would like to try this Cambodian rice, so has anyone seen it in the likes of Big C or similar??

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Getting back on track gentlemen, I have also thought that the Thai rice, hom mali, has been lacking something of late, and even went over to buying Basmati rice, however I would like to try this Cambodian rice, so has anyone seen it in the likes of Big C or similar??

Cambodian rice - in a Thai store? 

Given their general protectionist nature (and a refusal to accept that ANYTHING could possibly be better than Thai products).........probably not.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Given their general protectionist nature (and a refusal to accept that ANYTHING could possibly be better than Thai products).........probably not.

Well they do sell Indian Basmati rice in stores here.......although there are plenty of Indian folk here, so perhaps there is a demand, but as you say, for Cambodian rice.......probably not!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well they do sell Indian Basmati rice in stores here.......although there are plenty of Indian folk here, so perhaps there is a demand, but as you say, for Cambodian rice.......probably not!

They sell spaghetti as well....Makro and others even have international shelves.....I can't somehow see that extending to Cambodia rice..

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Here in Siem Reap, my local hypermarket only sells Cambodian rice (as expected) - no Thai rice. However, our MAKRO sells both Cambodian and Thai rice. I only purchase Cambodian rice to support our Khmer farmers. The Thai protectionists can get stuf.............!!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Here in Siem Reap, my local hypermarket only sells Cambodian rice (as expected) - no Thai rice. However, our MAKRO sells both Cambodian and Thai rice. I only purchase Cambodian rice to support our Khmer farmers. The Thai protectionists can get stuf.............!!

Where is the Makro?