Taxis still an issue in Bangkok ?

CharlieH

The Thai Taxi drivers are a laugh...not too bright if you think about it.

Scenario #1 - I ask a taxi driver to take me from Emporium to Central World he says "NO" and drives in the same direction to Central World? with no meter running?......I have to laugh.

I knew a taxi driver in San Francisco, and he had a collection of antique and non-antique cars.........driving a taxi mind you.

He told me you know how I can afford these?

He said when he's driving is to have somebody in the taxi as much as possible, meaning the meter is running...ching-ching.....rather than the Thai Taxi's driving around wasting gas......jus sayin

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lorry said:

You are too polite and ask them first for the destination, like Thais do.

I get into the taxi first,  then tell them where to go. The barrier to kick me out again is quite high. 

I know I am not nice.  I don't care.  When traveling together with a Thai, the Thai will ask the destination first and many taxis will refuse, no matter where. 

BTW i found Bolt just as useless as you

I've considered doing this but then I remember about that American fella that got chopped up by a taxi driver ????

Have you ever had a taxi driver make a big fuss about it? Or do they just grumble about it and eventually get moving? 

2 hours ago, iaminwa said:

Try doing it at peak hour and not at night and you will get the same issues as the OP...you are obviously not a Thailand regular. Taxi drivers are notoriuos for refusing rides to busy traffic areas during the day! OP - will never change, I avoid them like the plague - I have found Bolt MB taxis the way to go.

I  usually open the rear passenger to ask about the ride.

If they decline I walk off and leave the door open. Childish, I know, but I know that the mild inconvenience will irritate them. 

18 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Have you ever had a taxi driver make a big fuss about it? Or do they just grumble about it and eventually get moving? 

Never a big fuss. But some do insist they don't go to my destination,  usually they apologize and tell me the reason (end of shift, no more gas, doesn't know the destination). Then I get out and find another one.

This is rare. Whereas when traveling with Thais (who always ask before getting in) lots of drivers refuse.

22 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Never a big fuss. But some do insist they don't go to my destination,  usually they apologize and tell me the reason (end of shift, no more gas, doesn't know the destination). Then I get out and find another one.

This is rare. Whereas when traveling with Thais (who always ask before getting in) lots of drivers refuse.

Thanks. I've been doing the ask-first method because that's what I've seen Thais doing. Ive been qouted flat fares about half the time, some reasonable so I took the offer, some just downright insulting.

I also kinda got used to asking first from catching taxis in Sydney. There's a lot of drivers there that flout the rules and who's got time to report them for their infractions?

20 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

My recent experiences this month (general A-B and heading home after a night out in Sukhumvit) are that the Taxis are trying to make up for lost revenue over the pandemic now that demand is higher. I agree that they need higher meter fares, but with that should come sanctions and penalties if reported for refusing fares or trying the "No meter" B.S.

Nonsense. Taxis have always wanted to charge more out of Sukhumvit at night. Nothing to do with making up revenue, everything to do with the usual greed and corruption. As for reporting, I knew a taxi was driving me around to raise the metered fare. I called the number to report, they told me to call the tourist police. I called the tourist police and they told me to call the taxi number. This is Thailand, where rules and the law mean nothing at all.

13 minutes ago, Callmeishmael said:

It's almost impossible to get a taxi on Sukhumvit.  I always take the BTS or MRT instead, they may be crowded, but you can always get a ticket and get on.  On the rare occasions that I find myself there late at night, I will literally just walk around a corner and up a block and wait for a taxi going the right direction.  Taxis coming into the area are not members of the "Sukhumvit Mafia" and will turn on their meters without being asked to.

Same for me, but with a twist. I'll take the BTS say from the Villa at Suk 33/1 (Prom Phong) to On Nut. I get out there and grab a taxi from in front of the big Lotus inbound back to Rama 4. My distant condo complex is a 1 km walk from Phra Khanong BTS but the taxi from On Nut is direct and easy  for  45 baht.

Taxis have refused me many times just going from, say, the corner of Suk and soi 23 to Phra Khanong or asked for 200 and 150 baht for a 65 baht ride. If the driver knows where I'm going, I happily hand over a 100 baht. 

I sometimes wonder what tourists make of the taxi system in Bangkok. Some taxis have a red light showing, some green. Both mean the taxi is available. In theory, anyway, because at the same time they might stop a taxi with a light on and the taxi refuses the fare anyway. So, in reality, the light of whatever colour means nothing at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Must not have been any customers as that is normally a very poor income maker - much better to have flag down charge and short trips for making money. 

You are thinking like an alien, not a Thai. Also, I got a taxi from the departures level at Swampy airport, as many do, and at first the driver refused to use the meter and I walked away. Then he called me back, said he'd use the meter - and then drove me such a long way around that I ended up paying the non-metered fare anyway.

39 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Thanks. I've been doing the ask-first method because that's what I've seen Thais doing. Ive been qouted flat fares about half the time, some reasonable so I took the offer, some just downright insulting.

I also kinda got used to asking first from catching taxis in Sydney. There's a lot of drivers there that flout the rules and who's got time to report them for their infractions?

I very rarely get a flat fare quote. Then I just firmly insist on the meter. Almost always helps. I had to start taking pictures of their registration 2 times, it helped (those 2 times were once at the airport and once upcountry).

If everything doesn't help,  I get out and leave the rear door open. I do watch my back.

BTW complaints to tel 1584, by a Thai speaker.  These things are taken seriously. 

Like lopburi3, I hardly ever take taxis at lower Sukhumvit or Khasarn. And I always flag  a moving taxi. 

Unfortunately,  farangs usually do not firmly insist on the metered fare (see Kao's post). Many tourist happily told me how they bargained an inflated flat fare down to what they called " a very good price". Usually twice the meter price.

They like to feel rich, and the taxi drivers take advantage of their stupid inflated ego. 

Edited by Lorry

3 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I very rarely get a flat fare quote. Then I just firmly insist on the meter. Almost always helps. I had to start taking pictures of their registration 2 times, it helped (those 2 times were once at the airport and once upcountry).

If everything doesn't help,  I get out and leave the rear door open. I do watch my back.

BTW complaints to tel 1584, by a Thai speaker.  These things are taken seriously. 

Like lopburi3, I hardly ever take taxis at lower Sukhumvit or Khasarn. And I always flag  a moving taxi. 

When I came out of the Hotel I ignored the 3 parked up outside (always do). I walked around 50 meteres up the road and I always flag a metered car with the green light on. Didnt help in that instance though as stated in the OP.

That situation ended after 30 minutes of refusals with me negotiating a fixed fee as basically had no other choice and didnt want to stand there for much longer trying more taxis.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You are thinking like an alien, not a Thai. Also, I got a taxi from the departures level at Swampy airport, as many do, and at first the driver refused to use the meter and I walked away. Then he called me back, said he'd use the meter - and then drove me such a long way around that I ended up paying the non-metered fare anyway.

That is not what most would call Bangkok Taxi's - airport taxi has always been an issue.  Back in the 60's taxi were not allowed at Don Muang and only vehicles with military plates operated - normally an off duty enlisted member driving and officers car and negotiated price.  Currently only cars registered with airport can pick up customers and the distance (fare likely one way only) makes it a loss leader for drivers unless fare is more than meter and the  extra charge for airport service.  

22 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

My recent experiences this month (general A-B and heading home after a night out in Sukhumvit) are that the Taxis are trying to make up for lost revenue over the pandemic now that demand is higher. I agree that they need higher meter fares, but with that should come sanctions and penalties if reported for refusing fares or trying the "No meter" B.S.

'Higher meter fares'

Sure point taken, but please rember that 99% of taxi passengers are Thai and the existing flag fall and fares for Thai is quite expensive.

So do we want to see double pricing, higher for farang? I believe not.

• Like 2

Just now, scorecard said:

'Higher meter fares'

Sure point taken, but please rember that 99% of taxi passengers are Thai and the existing flag fall and fares for Thai is quite expensive.

So do we want to see double pricing, higher for farang? I believe not.

I just tip well  -  if the service has been good. 

For low fares like 30 Baht from a local hotel to Don Muang airport I will pay 100 Baht.

• Haha 1

Yesterday tried to get a taxi from CentralWorld home to Lumpini, a short normally 65 Baht ride.  Every taxi driver in the que refused, a TukTuk in Q said he would take us for 400 Baht, what the hell is wrong with these folks, we walked to the BTS station and too the BTS to Sala Daeng then the MRT home to Lumpini. Cost was 82 baht for each of us and took us almost 40 minutes with the walk to the BTS at Siam and then the walk to the MRT from the BTS while carrying our bags of goodies.

This is not the first time this has occurred, and this time the GF was so <deleted> she spit on the TukTuk drivers shoes and called him a buffalo, while the other drivers laughed.....What a sad state of affairs getting a taxi has become.  I don't drive to CentralWorld from the condo because it is just a mere 3km away, but the damned traffic makes it take 30 to 40 minutes, maybe why the drivers always refuse.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

but the damned traffic makes it take 30 to 40 minutes, maybe why the drivers always refuse.

Suspect you answered yourself - driving in Bangkok is Hell on Earth (unless you give everyone a 5 day weekend to get most drivers out of town).  And taxi fares do not make up for the slow movement.

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I sometimes wonder what tourists make of the taxi system in Bangkok. Some taxis have a red light showing, some green. Both mean the taxi is available. In theory, anyway, because at the same time they might stop a taxi with a light on and the taxi refuses the fare anyway. So, in reality, the light of whatever colour means nothing at all.

The light colour generally means a lot.   All new/newer taxis have the green light and they are equipped with interior cameras and emergency buttons on the interior B-pillar.   Unfortunately, some of the older, unmonitored taxis are now getting the green lights also.