Independence referendum: Scottish government loses indyref2 court case

Scott

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

I think you are twisting my post to fuel your own irrational ire. I made it clear that were Scotland to assume a proportion of the UK debt then it will merely need to service it as England will be in no position to pay off their share.

Then I told you about the UN convention on seceding nations. You might not like it, but that's the position of the UN, which the UK helped devise.

Personally I prefer to own my obligations. Indeed, it's a better bargaining position. We will, after all, expect to receive a share of the UK's assets commensurate with our share of debt.

You can expect what you like. There will be talks. If both sides don't agree, bye bye independence.

19 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Clearly someone who knows his history.  Or not. 

You might like to (but probably won't) read up on who was fighting who at Culloden.  Maybe you are a little confused and intended Stirling, or Falkirk. 

Who are these Angles, anyhow?  Are they perhaps related to the Saxons?  Where did they come from...oh!

PH

Watered down by the English, who originated from West Germanic tribes, one of which was the Angles as well as Saxons, Jutes and Frisians.

Oh and the Scots originated in Ireland. They moved to Scotland to avoid a famine, where they killed or displaced the Picts

Edited by Joe Farang
add

11 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

That's merely your opinion! Besides, it's not up to you, its up to them and even if they were to separate and fail as a state, it would be their right to do so. 

Where exactly do you think the refugees from Scotland would head if it became a failed state?  I'd say the English have plenty to be concerned about here.   But anyway, since they have already had a referendum and sensibly chose to remain in the union this is not even a debate anymore.  The only reason the anti-English zealots in the SNP keep this going is to distract from their failures running Scotland's education system, ferries and all the drugs issues.    

1 hour ago, James105 said:

Where exactly do you think the refugees from Scotland would head if it became a failed state?  I'd say the English have plenty to be concerned about here.   But anyway, since they have already had a referendum and sensibly chose to remain in the union this is not even a debate anymore.  The only reason the anti-English zealots in the SNP keep this going is to distract from their failures running Scotland's education system, ferries and all the drugs issues.    

The Scots voted quite sensibly maintained the Union; the English, in contrast, voted to destroy the one with Europe. 

PH

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

Watered down by the English, who originated from West Germanic tribes, one of which was the Angles as well as Saxons, Jutes and Frisians.

Oh and the Scots originated in Ireland. They moved to Scotland to avoid a famine, where they killed or displaced the Picts

Managed to skip answering the underlying question though...if caught in ignorance then it is often a good idea to try to distract, dissemble and divert the conversation.  Well done.

PH

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

It was the British who voted to leave the E.U , it wasn't the English 

Technically correct, especially as those in Northern Ireland voted in aggregate to remain so discounting them (as you appear to have done) would have made the result more than 52/48.  But then so did those in Scotland.

PH

6 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Just ignore the shameful decision of the oppressor's so-called "Supreme Court" and hold the referendum anyway.

Aiming to start your Independence with unlawful acts is really not a good idea.  Argue your case, convince doubters and if you get enugh support then eventually you will win.

PH

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Aiming to start your Independence with unlawful acts is really not a good idea.  Argue your case, convince doubters and if you get enugh support then eventually you will win.

PH

Most revolutions start with unlawful acts. How else to get rid of unjust oppression?

I'm sure the fact that the English now control Scotland would have been unlawful under Scottish law at some point in history.

2 hours ago, Caldera said:

Most revolutions start with unlawful acts. How else to get rid of unjust oppression?

I'm sure the fact that the English now control Scotland would have been unlawful under Scottish law at some point in history.

Well I, for one, do not want a revolution. 

All I wish for is an opportunity for those living in Scotland (which now excludes me) to be able to vote again given the huge change in circumstances since 2014.  That will happen, it is just a matter of time.

PH

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

You're totally missing the point!!!! All the reasons you came with so far are totally irrelevant! There was a massive change of circumstance since the last vote that has a massive impact on all UK citizens and for the last time that's why they should be allowed to vote again. End of story! 

Yes, and the Scottish participated in the vote as part of the UK to make that change.   If all the Scots had all voted to Remain, or at least of those who did not vote at all voted to remain then the UK would still be in the EU.   I don't see any good reason at all why such an expensive and divisive exercise should be repeated so soon after the last one.   Besides, it's Englands turn to have a vote on whether England wants to be part of a union with such miserable and complaining neighbours next anyway, so how about you try again after we have had our turn?  

8 minutes ago, James105 said:

Yes, and the Scottish participated in the vote as part of the UK to make that change.   If all the Scots had all voted to Remain, or at least of those who did not vote at all voted to remain then the UK would still be in the EU.   I don't see any good reason at all why such an expensive and divisive exercise should be repeated so soon after the last one.   Besides, it's Englands turn to have a vote on whether England wants to be part of a union with such miserable and complaining neighbours next anyway, so how about you try again after we have had our turn?  

Exactly.

It would be great to see the English start to push for independence.

Then watch the Scots and Welsh start complaint with " oh no. You can't do that.

Come to think about it. Many on here shout about how they believe the English run the UK. Let's just leave. If we run the show, no need for referendum. 

Edited by puchooay

2 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

When Scotland becomes independent and joins the EU it won't be long before hordes of starving English refugees head to Scotland and Ireland. IMO they should be turned away unless they say they voted no to the Brexit fiasco.

Scotland won't be able to join the EU until at least 10 years after independence, if at all.

By then they'll be down and out.

7 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

When Scotland becomes independent and joins the EU it won't be long before hordes of starving English refugees head to Scotland and Ireland. IMO they should be turned away unless they say they voted no to the Brexit fiasco.

Scotland should annexe the land north of Hadrian's Wall and raise it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, James105 said:

Besides, it's Englands turn to have a vote on whether England wants to be part of a union with such miserable and complaining neighbours next anyway

Having lived in Kirkcudbright for a number of years in the past I wouldn't give them the time of day. They think they're hard done by by the English for stealing their oil. I'm sure they think they'd all be millionaires if it wasn't for us.

Edited by IvorBiggun2

7 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Exactly.

It would be great to see the English start to push for independence.

Then watch the Scots and Welsh start complaint with " oh no. You can't do that.

Come to think about it. Many on here shout about how they believe the English run the UK. Let's just leave. If we run the show, no need for referendum. 

Good idea. Then you can yet again negotiate amazing trade agreements with countries like Yemen, Afghanistan....... and Guyana and..........many more.

You guys will be rich beyond belief!????

Edited by Phoenix Rising