Independence referendum: Scottish government loses indyref2 court case

Scott

But it would not be good for the world politics to accept a right for an independence, when the country wished so, would it be? Then it would admit that the Catalan independence was right. Not to speak about Crimea and the others.

Only the Kosovo was an exception, but did they vote?

6 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Personally I prefer to own my obligations. Indeed, it's a better bargaining position. We will, after all, expect to receive a share of the UK's assets commensurate with our share of debt.

I think the UK leaving the EU is a better template.  You take your share of the burdens and have no claim on any assets, the same kind of arrangement the UK had with the EU.    Why would you think you would get a better deal than that?   If we are as nasty as you say we are then surely you must be expecting a terrible deal from leaving the UK?  

Your Nicola should really be honest with you and set expectations accordingly and tell you how much this is going to cost you.    She won't of course because apart from the extremists no-one would ever consider this if she was honest about this.   

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Personally I prefer to own my obligations. Indeed, it's a better bargaining position. We will, after all, expect to receive a share of the UK's assets commensurate with our share of debt.

Did you not read the title of this thread? It's not happening. Why continue to talk as if this is something that will happen? It's a fantasy.

33 minutes ago, James105 said:

I think the UK leaving the EU is a better template.  You take your share of the burdens and have no claim on any assets, the same kind of arrangement the UK had with the EU.    Why would you think you would get a better deal than that?   If we are as nasty as you say we are then surely you must be expecting a terrible deal from leaving the UK?  

Your Nicola should really be honest with you and set expectations accordingly and tell you how much this is going to cost you.    She won't of course because apart from the extremists no-one would ever consider this if she was honest about this.   

"If we are as nasty as you say we are...". Where did I say such a thing? 

As for your fantasy terms, they do make you sound bitter but a fantasy is all they will be.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

What is not happening? Independence? Did the SC rule on that too? 

They ruled you can't have a referendum without the UK goverment's consent.

The UK government is not going to give consent, so it's over.

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

"If we are as nasty as you say we are...". Where did I say such a thing? 

As for your fantasy terms, they do make you sound bitter but a fantasy is all they will be.

Yes fantasy indeed.   This of course will never come to pass as Scotland will not have another referendum for quite some time, and if in 30-40 years time they did try again then they would vote against independence... again.  The majority of Scottish people do not want to become significantly poorer just to fulfil someones ridiculous and misguided fantasy so would of course vote against it. 

19 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

They ruled you can't have a referendum without the UK goverment's consent.

The UK government is not going to give consent, so it's over.

It's not over until the fat lady sings. I'm told that will happen at the next general election.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, James105 said:

Yes fantasy indeed.   This of course will never come to pass as Scotland will not have another referendum for quite some time, and if in 30-40 years time they did try again then they would vote against independence... again.  The majority of Scottish people do not want to become significantly poorer just to fulfil someones ridiculous and misguided fantasy so would of course vote against it. 

Well a majority (just) of those who voted in 2016 made themselves significantly poorer by voting for a  misguided fantasy.

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Like 2

If a vote for Scotland's independence were to happen, what should the % be to gain independence?  Should it be a simple majority or something like 60% vote for?

I wondered the same for BREXIT ... A simple majority for such a huge change does not seem right.  The cost of change should be weighed in to justify the overall change it seems.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HaoleBoy said:

If a vote for Scotland's independence were to happen, what should the % be to gain independence?  Should it be a simple majority or something like 60% vote for?

I wondered the same for BREXIT ... A simple majority for such a huge change does not seem right.  The cost of change should be weighed in to justify the overall change it seems.

I think the percentage is less important than unanimity between the nations.

While some might scream about Scotland's 5 million people being able to veto the 55 million English, that's the price you pay for having a United Kingdom. Get it? UNITED.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

I lived in Scotland and campaigned against leaving the UK.  The major plank of my argument was that on gaining Independence, Scotland would have to re-apply for membership of the EU and would in n o way have been guaranteed anything tlike the same terms it enjoyed while a member as part of the UK.  Many others thought the same.

I did not think for one moment that the UK (well, much of Englandshire outside London) would be so monumentally stuid as to vote to leave the EU.  With that happening, the situation for an Independent Scotland changes vastly and yes, there should be another vote.

It is a sad but true fact that just 2 years after the 2016 vote, and simply because of demographics, enough of the older voters (who were statistically much more likely to have voted to leave) would have died, while enough of the 16 and 17 year olds (who were statistically much more likely to have voted to remain) would have reached voting age to make a remain result almost certain.  Such a huge decision should never have been made on such a small margin and I agree wholeheartedly with Nigel Farage who declared (pre-result) that 52-48 would not be decisive and we would need another referendum.   But hey, at least the NHS is now enjoying an extra £350m a week, and the oven ready turkeys have regained control of the sunny uplands.

PH

1.  The NHS is enjoying significantly more than the promised £350m per week, they are just too wasteful to make it count.

2.  If everyone in Scotland who was eligible to vote actually did vote in the EU ref, and those who did not vote voted to remain, that would have been enough for the UK vote to be Remain.   Blame your fellow Scots for the outcome, not the English.   It's Scotland's fault they are being dragged out of the EU supported explicitly by those who voted to leave in Scotland, and implicitly by those who did not vote at all.  

Unfortunately nothing Good will happen until the Tories clean their messy house  555

Boris Johnson and Liz Truss in planning rebellion challenge to Rishi Sunak

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/11/24/boris-johnson-liz-truss-planning-rebellion-challenge-rishi-sunak/

Boris Johnson and Liz Truss join forces against Rishi Sunak's planning rules

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1701257/boris-johnson-liz-truss-tory-rebellion-rishi-sunak-planning-rules

Johnson and Truss join rebels against Sunak keeping new onshore wind ban

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/nov/24/boris-johnson-and-liz-truss-join-rebels-against-rishi-sunak-keeping-new-onshore-wind-ban

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1