Independence referendum: Scottish government loses indyref2 court case

Scott

image.png

The Scottish government cannot hold an independence referendum without the UK government's consent, the Supreme Court has ruled.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon wants to hold a referendum on 19 October next year.

But the court ruled unanimously that she does not have the power to do so because the issue is reserved to Westminster.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-63727562

BBC.jpg

45 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Unsuccessful country?? Fast forward 10 years into the future and an independent and prosperous Scotland is sending food parcels to starving Brits who are still waiting for their re-entry application to be approved, the delay caused by France and other countries who want the time over the barrel to be as long as possible due to the finger the UK gave the EU in the referendum.

Som nam naa, as they say.

I would love to know where Scotland will get the money to use to become prosperous with so much surplus income they can support other countries.

Edited by puchooay
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

When you look at the poll data they surveyed a whopping 1708 people and the survey was sponsored by the Times , I wouldn't expect the Times to pay for a survey that stated anything different

That's actually quite a lot for any poll and it's by far not the only poll around indicating similar results.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Nah.

Sturgeon is just using that as an attempt to justify re-running the vote. She wants to ruin Scotland for her own personal ambition. She'd rather have total power over an unsuccessful country than limited power over a successful one. I don't think the Scots are silly enough to fall for it.

Nailed it, now hopefully she will disappear!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've still never seen the proposal for how they will fence up scotland with a wall to stop border crossings - you want go, up to you, but I'd want a 20 ft high wall US mexican border between us and scotland !!  They think the Irish border an issue, that would be nothing to scotland leaving issue. Besides these scots do not want to let the scots in the rest of the UK vote on it - which they should as they would have to apply for UK citizenship potentially !

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

I've still never seen the proposal for how they will fence up scotland with a wall to stop border crossings - you want go, up to you, but I'd want a 20 ft high wall US mexican border between us and scotland !!  They think the Irish border an issue, that would be nothing to scotland leaving issue. Besides these scots do not want to let the scots in the rest of the UK vote on it - which they should as they would have to apply for UK citizenship potentially !

How about same as the border between Ireland and northern Ireland?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

That's actually quite a lot for any poll and it's by far not the only poll around indicating similar results.

Not really when you compared it to the 2016 referendum with total number of votes 

I know many people that wouldn't accept cold calls or use the internet

so pollster are unable to gain their votes

I know many people that will tell you where to go if you ask them personal questions about them or their views

• Like 1

Just now, vinny41 said:

Not really when you compared it to the 2016 referendum with total number of votes 

I know many people that wouldn't accept cold calls or use the internet

so pollster are unable to gain their votes

I know many people that will tell you where to go if you ask them personal questions about them or their views

That's an election, not a poll.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

That's an election, not a poll.

And its an election that will only give you a true result not some poll which are normally based on data modelling or data manipulation

and are only even published if they meet the requirements of the sponsor

Would we ever see a poll published that was sponsored by Brand A and they were expecting the poll to provide results that Brand A is the best thing since silced bread but the poll came back that the  majority of people that took part in the poll prefered Brand Z no we wouldn't

15 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

It's not up to Sturgeon is it?

Sturgeon is the one calling for another referendum.

15 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Got a problem with voting?

I have no problem with voting. As long as the result of the vote is accepted and not re-run until the "correct" result is reached. Scotland already voted to stay in the UK in 2014. It's been decided already.

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

8 years and a Brexit later which Scotland didn't want isn't enough justification? What are you afraid of? They may reverse the 2014 referendum?

Who knows maybe if they hadn't denied a vote to approx 1 million Scots including 800,000 living in the rest of the UK the result might have been different

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-scotland-independence-expatriates-idUSBREA0Q1JC20140127

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

8 years and a Brexit later which Scotland didn't want isn't enough justification? What are you afraid of? They may reverse the 2014 referendum?

Well, yes of course, and that there may be considerable division both within the UK, and in Scotland, where significant parts are fiercely pro union. The matter was done and dusted just 8 years ago, and it was agreed that it was a once and for all referendum. These referendums are so divisive and any result would likely not be definitive anyway- causing more problems than it solves.