Has Thai Embassy in Penang stopped issuing Non Imm O retirement visa’s?

As I do not want to purchase health insurance next year I will try to change my Non Imm O-A to a  Non Imm O.

I have read a lot of helpful information on here and I may choose to return to Thailand Visa Exempt but I thought I would consider applying for a  Non Imm O abroad.

I think there is a small possible inconvenience of needing proof of onward travel if flying into Thailand visa exempt. In that case I would first show proof that I actually live in Thailand at check in. Hopefully they would show common sense but I would also be prepared to purchase a throw away air flight.

My first thoughts were that myself and my Thai gf would fly to Kuala Lumpur for 1 weeks holiday so I looked at the Thai Embassy in Kuala Lumpur

https://kualalumpur.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/visa-requirements-i-3 

It lists all visas and one is 

NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (O-Retirement)

Required Documents include police cert and medical cert so I thought I would have a look at Penang.

https://penang.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/114490-visa-requirements-ii 

I have never looked at this before but it is a bit concerning that Non Imm O Retirement is not listed?

Anyone know if Penang has stopped issuing  Non Imm O Retirement visa’s?

1. TOURIST VISA (TR) - For tourism purpose

2. TRANSIT VISA (TS) - To transit through Thailand to another country

3. VISA FOR PARTICIPANT IN SPORT COMPETITION (TS) - To participate in sport events in Thailand

4. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (B) FOR BUSINESS PURPOSE - To engage in business-related activities in Thailand

5. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (B) FOR EMPLOYMENT - To be employed in Thailand

6. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (B) FOR EMPLOYMENT AS TEACHER - To be employed as teacher in Thailand

7. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ED) FOR NON-BUSINESS CONFERENCE/MEETING -
To attend non-business conference/meeting in Thailand

8. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ED) FOR EDUCATION - To study or take academic course in Thailand

9. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ED) FOR UNPAID INTERNSHIP AND TRAINING - To participate in unpaid internship, workshop or training in Thailand

10. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (O) FOR VOLUNTEER - To engage in volunteer works in Thailand*
*see also remarks (2) below

11. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (O-A) FOR LONG STAY - To stay in Thailand for a long period

12. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (O) FOR DEPENDANT - For dependant of the main visa applicant or foreign spouse/ children of a Thai citizen

13. VISA FOR DIPLOMATIC AND OFFICIAL PASSPORT HOLDER

14. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (F) FOR OFFICIAL VISIT BY ORDINARY PASSPORT HOLDER - To attend event hosted by an authority in Thailand

15. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (M) FOR MEDIA AND FILMING - To cover the news or to shoot films/ documentaries/ commercials in Thailand

16. NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (RS) FOR RESEARCH AND SCIENCE - To engage in research and science activities in Thailand

17. SMART VISA PROGRAMME - For foreign experts, executives, entrepreneurs and investors who wish to work or to invest in Thailand in targeted industries

I have seen no recent reports of them issuing a non-o visa for retirement

I suggest you contact the consulate in Penang about the non-o visa.

It seems their website is incomplete since all those shown on the list takes you to the main page of the website when you click the link.

For the embassy in Kuala Lumpur it appears they may be only issuing them for citizens or residents Myanmar. I suggest you contact them as well.

• Like 1

OP, the onward ticket you refer to if flying visa exempt into Thailand has a simple solution..

Google "onwardflight.com" 

IMO best to enter visa exempt and obtain a non O in Thailand. 

For the airline anything other than onward flight will not cut it.

Irrelevant if someone lives here, owns a condo or whatever. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen no recent reports of them issuing a non-o visa for retirement

I suggest you contact the consulate in Penang about the non-o visa.

It seems their website is incomplete since all those shown on the list takes you to the main page of the website when you click the link.

For the embassy in Kuala Lumpur it appears they may be only issuing them for citizens or residents Myanmar. I suggest you contact them as well.

Thanks Joe, I have definitely seen posts on here stating that the Non O can be obtained in Penang, in fact if my memory is correct someone obtained a multi entry Non O in Penang. But these were probably about 2 or 3 years ago. Also I have seen stated on here that Penang requirements are the same as Savannakhet in that medical and police checks not needed.

I posted because I had not looked at the Thai Embassy / consulate sites before and wondered if I was doing something wrong.

I don't need to change my O-A to an O until May next year and as requirements may change I will either contact the Thai consulates near the time or more likely speak to my local immigration office and then come in visa exempt.

Cheers

Keith

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, the onward ticket you refer to if flying visa exempt into Thailand has a simple solution..

Google "onwardflight.com" 

IMO best to enter visa exempt and obtain a non O in Thailand. 

For the airline anything other than onward flight will not cut it.

Irrelevant if someone lives here, owns a condo or whatever. 

Thanks Jack, if I found that obtaining a Non O in Kuala Lumpur seemed very straight forward I might have considered going straight to the Thai Consulate there. Of course if a problem then can always return visa exempt. 

At the moment I think you are right and visa exempt is the best way.

If I do that at the moment I will put it to the test in that I will take proof that I live in Thailand, maybe politely ask to see a supervisor at check in if they are not busy.  If they insist I can purchase a throw away flight for near the end of my visa exempt permit to stay.

Cheers

Keith

23 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

If i do that at the moment I will put it to the test in that I will take proof that I live in Thailand, maybe politely ask to see a supervisor at check in if they are not busy.  If they insist I can purchase a throw away flight for near the end of my visa exempt permit to stay.

From KL they almost certainly require an onward flight with carrier such as AirAsia.

Showing you live in Thailand etc most likely of little value.

Perhaps the supervisor could offer you sign a waiver.

I suggest you buy rent a flight that I suggested (approx 15usd) earlier.

OR attend check in and if no success step away and purchase cheapest throw away ticket.

You would need internet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith5588 said:

, I can then relax and I will also be learning something new as I haven’t used rent a flight before

I most likely cannot find posts about using the rent a ticket, however 100% have read posts from folk that have used them and all with positive feedback. 

• Like 2

you can get a single non O in Phnom Pehn but need show 800,000 in any currency in any bank 

left PP last Thursday and for air asia had to show onward flight which i had via the link above
entered on visa exempt and will convert too O

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

left PP last Thursday and for air asia had to show onward flight which i had via the link above

As I've mentioned in this thread.

For local routes such as PP to Bangkok and Saigon to Bangkok etc an onward flight WILL be required. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zzzzz said:

you can get a single non O in Phnom Pehn but need show 800,000 in any currency in any bank 

entered on visa exempt and will convert too O

Thanks zzzzz, good information.

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

For reference, the Thai embassy in Yangon is friendly and not busy.  See Yangon Types of Visa (note this is two pages) and Yangon Non O visa (retirement) application. Flights on Air Asia are currently cheap, Myanmar visa required: https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/ (US$50). Hotel prices reasonable.

True:
but have u seen the requirements to enter Burma? and costs!!!
https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/tourist/message

• Like 2

Next month i am considering to do the same.

I was thinking to go Vientiane for this. As far as embassy website say all what you need is letter from bank you having more than 800 000 on your account + need to have appointmentime reserved. 

I wonder if they give multientry visas also ? 

• Like 1

Last Aug. I flew in from UK on THAI and entered visa exempt at SVB, with no questions about onward ticket.  Now converted the Visa exempt to Non O and with retirement extension for 365 days.  All very easy, had to show 800K in bank both when converting Visa exempt to Non O and when getting Retirement extension.

Actually I bought n onward ticket as a precaution, but not asked for

• Like 2

On 11/27/2022 at 1:07 AM, BritTim said:

For reference, the Thai embassy in Yangon is friendly and not busy.  See Yangon Types of Visa (note this is two pages) and Yangon Non O visa (retirement) application. Flights on Air Asia are currently cheap, Myanmar visa required: https://evisa.moip.gov.mm/ (US$50). Hotel prices reasonable.

Very good information Tim, I see they have the Non Imm O Visa Retirement. I had a quick look at gov.uk foreign travel advice for curiousity and it advises not to go to Myanmar except for Yangon region. So OK to go there but I currently live in Hua Hin so would be best for me to fly and I would prefer to have a weeks holiday in Kuala Lumpur, no visa requirements for me, and I think more relaxing.

Thanks again for the information 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2022 at 10:35 AM, Robin said:

Last Aug. I flew in from UK on THAI and entered visa exempt at SVB, with no questions about onward ticket.  Now converted the Visa exempt to Non O and with retirement extension for 365 days.  All very easy, had to show 800K in bank both when converting Visa exempt to Non O and when getting Retirement extension.

Actually I bought n onward ticket as a precaution, but not asked for

Were you asked for evidence of the foreign source(s) of the 800k as part of the non-O conversion process and, if so, what proof did you provide?

And at which immigration office did you apply for your non-O conversion and subsequent retirement extension?

Interesting that you were not asked for evidence of onward travel at LHR (which I assume was your UK airport of origin). They used to be pretty insistent on seeing onward tickets in the case of travellers intending to enter Thailand on the basis of visa exemptions.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1