US phone number in Thailand for US Brokerage/Investment for verification code

I am not hopeful but the US brokerage/mutual fund company where I have a lot of my US savings just let me know that when I want to go online to my account to make a transaction or money transfer they no longer send the verification code that I need to access my account to my email address.  This was very easy and useful. Now I must get the google authenticator thing, which I did, but of course to use it you need a US phone number, which I don't have.. I am wondering if there is some way of getting a US phone number which I could use to get the verification code. I really don't see how this is possible at this point. I called the brokerage company, using my skype account, and they confirmed that I can no longer access my account without a US phone. I told them that I am retired and presently out of country on a long vacation which I had been planning for a long time and that I hope to return to the States in June to my home address. Like many expats living abroad, I use my brother's address. They just said I can use my US phone that I have on record with them. When I asked how I could us my US land phone she just repeated use your phone on record. I don't think she realized that that would not be possible if I was  not in sitting in my living room at my home address. She assured me I could call, and call collect, to make any transactions.. But going online without a verification code sent to a US phone number, I take it that a mobile phone would have to be used, is a no go. 

While having to call is not the end of the world, online transactions are just so must more convenient and I like to be able to look at my statement. Actually, I only go online to my account about once a month. Another problem is doing income taxes. I do TurboTax and they import 

all of my brokerage tax forms and it makes it so much easier to complete my tax forms. But I don't think I'll be able to import my tax forms. You need to provide them with your password and I need a new one and in  order to create a new password I would probably have to go online to create it. 

These companies seem to be putting up more and more obstacles to prevent expats from doing business with them. 

6 hours ago, John Drake said:

You can use google authenticator on your Thai phone. You don't need an American phone number.

You are absolutely right. I used my google authenticator on my Thai phone. Got into my account online. No problem. What was I thinking. Thanks for your tip. I just assumed My Thai phone wouldn't work.

• Like 1