Aljazeera Tv.

Luckydog

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a lot of very good documentaries and the news is very well done.

I thought it was supposed to be very biased but I don't see that!

At least you don't get those awful commercial breaks as on CNN and Fox.

I like seeing all the western washed up newscasters being gainfully employed with that filthy outfit.

Your on your own. I am presently surprised reporting is very neutral. I think it's a great addition to new services. Is 1000% on CNN.

I have seen a lot of very good documentaries and the news is very well done.

I thought it was supposed to be very biased but I don't see that!

At least you don't get those awful commercial breaks as on CNN and Fox.

I like seeing all the western washed up newscasters being gainfully employed with that filthy outfit.

Your on your own. I am presently surprised reporting is very neutral. I think it's a great addition to new services. Is 1000% on CNN.

Here here! Well said JJ.

Rubbish and mouth piece for terrorists. Should send an emf pulse and knock em off the air.

Definately a brit with comments like that, shame on you little man

An obviously mindless yank!!!! :o

Oh how the little people misjudge.. actually a fellow Brit though not particularly proud to be associated with most of the small minded ones, especially the ones who think themselves "maveric"

Edited by DeputyDawg

What a farce, are they not owned by the elite of Qatar. They are only free to bash other regions policy and right

up there with TRT and Thaksin run propaganda. Of course most of you find that ok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politics_of_Qatar

In Qatar, the ruling Al Thani (الثاني) family continued to hold power following the declaration of independence in 1971. The head of state is the Emir, and the right to rule Qatar is passed on within the Al Thani family. Politically, Qatar is evolving from a traditional society into a modern welfare state. Government departments have been established to meet the requirements of social and economic progress. The Basic Law of Qatar 1970 institutionalized local customs rooted in Qatar's conservative Wahhabi heritage, granting the Emir preeminent power. The Emir's role is influenced by continuing traditions of consultation, rule by consensus, and the citizen's right to appeal personally to the Emir. The Emir, while directly accountable to no one, cannot violate the Shari’a (Islamic law) and, in practice, must consider the opinions of leading notables and the religious establishment. Their position was institutionalized in the Advisory Council, an appointed body that assists the Emir in formulating policy. There is no electoral system. Political parties are banned.

The influx of expatriate Arabs has introduced ideas that call into question the tenets of Qatar's traditional society, but there has been no serious challenge to Al Thani rule.

In February 1972, the Deputy Ruler and Prime Minister, Sheikh Khalifa bin Hamad, deposed his cousin, Emir Ahmad, and assumed power. This move was supported by the key members of Al Thani and took place without violence or signs of political unrest.

On June 27, 1995, the Deputy Ruler, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa, deposed his father Emir Khalifa in a bloodless coup. Emir Hamad and his father reconciled in 1996. Increased freedom of the press followed, and the Qatar-based Al Jazeera television channel (founded late 1996) is widely regarded as the only example of free and uncensored source of news in Arab countries.

Edited by Khun ?

Oh how the little people misjudge.. actually a fellow Brit though not particularly proud to be associated with most of the small minded ones, especially the ones who think themselves "maveric"

britmaverick is one of Thaivisa's most sensible and well respected posters whatever his nationality may be. :o

britmaverick is one of Thaivisa's most sensible and well respected posters whatever his nationality may be. :o

Can you still breath with your head stuck so far up there?.. maveric indeed, please stop my side hurts from laughing so much.. maybe you both think you are maveric by frequenting Jenny Star Bar LOL

There is bias in all news reporting, the availability of AJ provides the viewer with the oportunity to get a different view and then if s/he is personally able to come to a balanced view from the broader spectrum of views.

In my mind AJ is a welcome addition to the field of international news reporting.

I agree this is one of the best serious news channels available. Maybe a bit biased toward the middle east point of view, but not much. BBC on KTV is usually not watchable due to various satellite link problems. Fox is an absoulte propaganda mouthpiece for the Bush administration and for viewers with 2 second attention spans. It's scary thier holding company wants to buy the Wall Street Journal.

Can you still breath with your head stuck so far up there?.. maveric indeed, please stop my side hurts from laughing so much.. maybe you both think you are maveric by frequenting Jenny Star Bar LOL

Your homophobic, illiterate reply does you justice. :D

Your homophobic, illiterate reply does you justice. :D

Again Way off the mark!! my remark was to do with "Maveric" and thinking that visiting jenny Star Bar you are maveric as you both seem to want people to think you are.

I have gay friends however do not think I am special or "maveric" because of this.

(by the way brit its spelt "Maverick")

Read and understand before posting a reply please :D

I am one of those despicable Bush backers from America. It's not on my Sophon Cable but I saw a few minutes of it in a bar a few days ago. The little coverage I saw seemed less left-wing to me than that of the BBC. Give them points for being smart enough to figure out that wild conspiracy stuff will not tend to move English and American public opinion their way or build an audience. Choosing which stories to cover and which ones to ignore might be a better idea from their point of view. I have zero Arabic capability but from what I understand their Arabic programs are pretty far out.

If you stop to consider that all news is state controlled to some degree, AJ coverage is fairly comprehensive, balanced and topical.

A rational thinker knows what to believe and what to reject, regardless of which channel it comes from.

What a farce, are they not owned by the elite of Qatar. They are only free to bash other regions policy and right

up there with TRT and Thaksin run propaganda. Of course most of you find that ok.

In Qatar, the ruling Al Thani (الثاني) family continued to hold power following the declaration of independence in 1971. The head of state is the Emir, and the right to rule Qatar is passed on within the Al Thani family. Politically, Qatar is evolving from a traditional society into a modern welfare state. Government departments have been established to meet the requirements of social and economic progress. The Basic Law of Qatar 1970 institutionalized local customs rooted in Qatar's conservative Wahhabi heritage, granting the Emir preeminent power. The Emir's role is influenced by continuing traditions of consultation, rule by consensus, and the citizen's right to appeal personally to the Emir. The Emir, while directly accountable to no one, cannot violate the Shari’a (Islamic law) and, in practice, must consider the opinions of leading notables and the religious establishment. Their position was institutionalized in the Advisory Council, an appointed body that assists the Emir in formulating policy. There is no electoral system. Political parties are banned.

The influx of expatriate Arabs has introduced ideas that call into question the tenets of Qatar's traditional society, but there has been no serious challenge to Al Thani rule.

In February 1972, the Deputy Ruler and Prime Minister, Sheikh Khalifa bin Hamad, deposed his cousin, Emir Ahmad, and assumed power. This move was supported by the key members of Al Thani and took place without violence or signs of political unrest.

On June 27, 1995, the Deputy Ruler, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa, deposed his father Emir Khalifa in a bloodless coup. Emir Hamad and his father reconciled in 1996. Increased freedom of the press followed, and the Qatar-based Al Jazeera television channel (founded late 1996) is widely regarded as the only example of free and uncensored source of news in Arab countries.

Are we discussing Al Jazeera's news quality, or Qatar's history???

What , precisely, is so farcical about Al Jazeera? Please educate me.

<<They are only free to bash other regions policy>> Who / whom, has Al Jazeera bashed?

Suggest that you watch some Al Jazeera English news, rather than follow the comments of liars and idiots like Rumsfeld and G W Bush.

Edited by figaro

And just to get back on Topic I think that AJ is one of the most unbiased news chanels we have access to currently.

Slagging me off has no relevance, just shows your true nature and agenda. :D Never been to Jenny's, mind you sounds like you are intimately familiar with the the place. :o

AJ is biased rubbish to the extreme - I hope you realize the arab version isn't remotely the same as the english version. Any rate if you want true unbiased news ITV is what you want to watch.

Slagging me off has no relevance, just shows your true nature.

:o

I'm not sure what I dislike more about the Arab version of AJ, the fact that they feature Bin Ladin's personal videos or the beheadings of innocent hostages. :D

Slagging me off has no relevance, just shows your true nature.

:o

I'm not sure what I dislike more about the Arab version of AJ, the fact that they feature Bin Ladin's personal videos or the beheadings of innocent hostages. :D

Haven't seen any of those in a coon's age. It's not been happening for a couple of years (since that Jordanian guy was killed in a bombing raid).

Al Jazeera (English) is pro-Western - that's the one availble in Thailand. Maybe AJ (Arabic) is as well, but I haven't seen it. I see it in Saudi and it is Arab-biassed. But not to the extent that these American news channels are biassed the other way.

And regarding the Qatari Royal Family (and others throughout the ME) - this is the way that the Arabs have ruled themselves for centuries. It works for them. The 'Ruler' has a conclave of elders to advise him and most things are decided by consensus. I do not see anyone criticising the UAE or the Oman (both pro-Western) who use the same system as Qatar and Saudi. Kuwait has elected representatives, but again they basically 'advise' the royal family.

What is 'democracy'? A President? With power (US style) or without (Irish). A first-past-the-post set of representatives (UK style) or proportional representation (Scandinavian) or a college of electors (US).

An upper house that is elected (US) or appointed (neo UK) or inherited (old UK).

In Libya the People's Congress is supposed to present to the governing body (basically Muammar Ghaddafi - although he denies it) the views of all the people they represent and formulate policy on the basis of concurrence. Doesn't work that way, but it's supposed to.

I work with the Japanese a lot. They hate to make individual decisions. Almost all business decisions are arrived at by committee deliberations and concurrence.

What works for the country is what works. Do not try to impose your type of society on another people. This has been the cause of wars and massacres for thousands of years. Let America keep it's own system, and keep it to itself.

End of rant (which was somewhat off-topic anyway).

(snip)

... the Qatar-based Al Jazeera television channel (founded late 1996) is widely regarded as the only example of free and uncensored source of news in Arab countries.

In answer to your question" no, they are not owned by the elite of Qatar, though they do get most of their funding from that source. They are very up front in acknowledging this. It is to the credit of the Emir that Aljazeera seems to enjoy complete editorial freedom. Aljazeera Arabic channel has broadcast commentary critical of Qatar's system of government.

Some relevant information on Aljazeera:

* as others have mentioned, there is a significant difference between the Arabic and English channels; this is largely due to the different journalists involved as the editorial policies are little different;

* the Arabic channel went online in late 1996; many of the early senior staff came from the BBC World Service's Saudi channel that was forced to close or accept Saudi censorship; this perhaps explains the channel's difficult relationship with Saudi Arabia over the years;

* the Arabic channel can fairly be accused of bad taste; certainly, broadcasting videos of people being beheaded is shocking; it can also be argued that delivering the news (whatever it may be) unfiltered and allowing the viewer to make up his own mind is good journalism; the US establishment was very supportive of Aljazeera when it was campaigning for democracy and press freedom in the Middle East (which it still does); the US only started demonizing Aljazeera (and bombing its offices, killing and imprisoning its staff) when it started reporting on US massacres and other transgressions in Iraq and Afghanistan;

* the English TV channel, that went online late last year, is not that different from some Western channels, like Deutsche Welle or the BBC; it tries to be balanced; it definitely does filter distasteful content, I suspect because the journalists involved are used to doing so;

* the English web site is limited, but occasionally has some good stuff; for instance, how many of you have seen this: President Bush knew about Abu Ghraib

* Aljazeera also has sports, children, documentary and live politics channels that are separate from those above; I have no idea how good, or otherwise, they might be.

In the turbulent world of the Middle East, complete press freedom exists nowhere. However, Qatar is one of three countries in the area (Kuwait and UAR are the other two) that do not apply censorship to political coverage. According to Reporters san Frontiere, Qatar ranks 80th in press freedom with 18.00 "penalty" points. The United States controlled territories, outside protection of the Constitution, is 119th on 31.50 points (the US itself is 53rd on 13.00 points). Iraq, that bastion of US instigated freedom, comes 154th on 66.83 points.

In my view, Aljazeera provided an excellent addition to news coverage and political coverage when first established, and continues to do so today.

If the reports were so biased, do you think for one moment that the Journalists who are virtually of very high quality, would work there?

Sir David Frost for one. Tell HIm what to say and he is out of the door!

Anyway gents everything everyone says is BIASED is it not? Get real.......