Possible messed up visa

Advice please Ubon Joe (et al) on behalf of a fellow Scot, who resides here in Udon Thani, married to a Thai national.

He entered Thailand two years ago on an ‘O’ visa based on retirement.

Successfully obtained an annual extension this last June.

Since then visited Scotland and returned to Thailand using a single re-entry permit. No problem.

However just recently, without due thought, went to Vietnam for two days, no re-entry permit, and on the return was given a 45 day entry stamp.

What does he do now, what is the procedure for him to resurrect permission to stay on a retirement basis?

(I believe he has been quoted circa 30,000 baht by a local agent to sort this out).

Many thanks.

1.  He used 800k in bank or 65k per month income for financials.

2.  He has funds in bank or proof of income?

3.  He applies at local immigration office for change of status to non immigrant O visa entry at cost of 2,000 baht.  Receives 3 month stay on that.

4.  He the then applies for normal 1 year extension of stay at cost of 1,900 baht.

• Like 1

Are you certain a "change of visa" (TM86) is required since Thailand is visa exempt (no tourist visa). I'm doing a visa run this month. I was hoping I just needed a TM87 to apply for a Non O.
Do I really need a TM86 before I can use the TM87?

17 minutes ago, cgros said:

Are you certain a "change of visa" (TM86) is required since Thailand is visa exempt (no tourist visa). I'm doing a visa run this month. I was hoping I just needed a TM87 to apply for a Non O.
Do I really need a TM86 before I can use the TM87?

That was not what I posted - he needs to change status (visa exempt to visa entry) and that will be the TM87 form.

See my earlier posts.  When I came in to Thailand last Aug I was given 30 day visa exempt.  I went straight to my local I/O and asked to change this to a Non O to use for a retirement extension, which I had previously held.  

No problem, I just needed to show 'proof of funds' in bank and was given a 90 day Non O, which I have since extended for 365 days for retirement.

Extension again requires proof of funds and up dated bank book, and has to be done in the last month of the Non O.

Very easy and no need to pay an agent if you have money in the bank.

My advice, works well at Phayao I/O is to visit in advance and ask for an appointment to do these changes/ extensions.  Say you want to visit when convenient for I/O and then ask for a list of documents you need to bring.

Thanks to all, I think I have got it thought slightly confused as to what Tm86 and TM87 are? However it appears the best advice to give him is to go to immigration and apply for a non O based on retirement. I must assume funds or income are OK has he has already had an extension. Will talk to him. 

15 minutes ago, TuanLindsay said:

Just had a search and it looks like TM87 is applicable?

He will use the TM87 form since he has a visa exempt entry. For tourist visa it is a TM86.

Requirements for the visa application is here. https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Download TM87: TM87 Application For Non Immigrant Visa76.15 kB · 765 downloads

• Like 1