Thai Drivers License Renewal.

NONG CHOK

I've found over the years that renewing a drivers license in Pattaya can be a real hassle. Most times it's ok but it appears it's up to the official doing the testing on the day. The last time the official had real attitude towards farangs. Even though my condo in Pattaya is my registered address can I renew my license at an office in Bangkok which is a short distance from the home which I own. I know that this same office does re registration of vehicles without seeking any residential address.

Edited by NONG CHOK

For foreigners it's more complicated to use another testing facility. For Thais it's easily doable. They can renew their permit everywhere inside Thailand. 
For myself in Bangkok, I even have to use the correct place. Last time want going to taling, but according to my residental address I had to go to Rama 2. Or of course Mo-Chit as main place, which will work always (not sure only for BKk or as well for non BKK residents).

15 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

can I renew my license at an office in Bangkok which is a short distance from the home which I own

You may, if you can get a residence/address confirmation letter from Chaengwattana Immi Office.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, mikebell said:

There's a company touting for business along the queue outside Pattaya Immigration.  I'm using them next year; the test centre 30 kms out of town is a disaster area.

You presumably still have to go there to get the pic on the licence.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You presumably still have to go there to get the pic on the licence.

Never thought of that unless you can give the company a new photo.  I always have six in readiness at Immigration along with my GCE Certificates & Sainsbury's Nectar card just in case!

1 hour ago, mikebell said:

Never thought of that unless you can give the company a new photo

That should not work.

Picture is taken from camera at the office and printed on the license.

No paper photo produced.

Edited by KhunBENQ

My friend who used an agent still had to go in person and it requires 2 visits now I believe. The benefit to him was the agent actually driving him there and basically fast tracking the process, as in not having to queue and deal directly with the staff. I've done it myself previously but I think it will be the only thing I will use an agent for in the future.

• Like 1

Currently 1 month wait to renew driving licence at Morchit, Bangkok. Went on 9th November with all the paperwork, they checked it all, stapled it together and showed me the appointment list to choose date. Earliest was 9th December. Should only be the reaction test, color tests etc and issue licence as I had watched the safety video at home and had the QR code. 

23 hours ago, mikebell said:

There's a company touting for business along the queue outside Pattaya Immigration.  I'm using them next year; the test centre 30 kms out of town is a disaster area.

30 kms ????

On 12/4/2022 at 9:55 AM, mikebell said:

The test centre is 14.3km from Central Festival.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah, hardly if we talk of Chonburi Provincial.... maybe 20 if one uses the long dog leg of Sukhumvit and Hwy 36. The motorway is a better option, only 10 baht toll!

See Ralf above.  My distances are extracted from a book I wrote when living in Bang Sare.  Any exaggerations were for the purposes of humour as I was making the point that anyone seeking a licence had to drive on highways without one.

47 minutes ago, mikebell said:

See Ralf above.  My distances are extracted from a book I wrote when living in Bang Sare.  Any exaggerations were for the purposes of humour as I was making the point that anyone seeking a licence had to drive on highways without one.

Just down the road for me.....and I still let the Mrs do many functions. My driving licences are due next year I think... I hate hate hate doing them...got 'sent home' once to come back tomorrow... they had no idea if I lived in Pattaya  or Bang Saray.