US residents with Medicare and MediGap plan G

Onerak

I m not yet 65 but soon I will 65 in a couple of years. I spend 50% in Thailand and doing lots of research of Medicare plans watching mainly YouTube videos and reading articles at Medicare website. I found that Medigap G covers foreign travel. Does anybody use this and if so will it cover for my 6-month stay in Thailand? At present I have a high deductible PPO health plan with an HSA MC that is loaded with 20k+ USD and it covers 50% for out of Network. I have used in foreign countries, including Thailand and they reimbursed 50% of all expenses. Looking for similar coverage when I switch to Medicare at 65. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ericthai said:

If your plan G has worldwide coverage you will typically only be be covered for the first 60 days. (depends on insurance company)   Also, this is for emergency/urgent care services not routine care.  Most plans will also have a deductible. 

Is not all G plan are supposed to be the same as per US laws? If you know for certain, please answer. I don't want guess works. I clearly asked if somebody has enrolled in Plan G, I want their feedback not random guess work from self proclaimed expert's opinions. Thanks anyway for information that is not all useful at all to me. Paying out of pocket is not a problem (that's what my credit cards are for with one million USD credit) for me as I do for my current insurance out side the USA and get reimbursed 50%. Also, yes I understand it will be for emergency only. Not to replace my kidney, if required. 

Edited by Onerak

8 hours ago, Onerak said:

I m not yet 65 but soon I will 65 in a couple of years. I spend 50% in Thailand and doing lots of research of Medicare plans watching mainly YouTube videos and reading articles at Medicare website. I found that Medigap G covers foreign travel. Does anybody use this and if so will it cover for my 6-month stay in Thailand? At present I have a high deductible PPO health plan with an HSA MC that is loaded with 20k+ USD and it covers 50% for out of Network. I have used in foreign countries, including Thailand and they reimbursed 50% of all expenses. Looking for similar coverage when I switch to Medicare at 65. 

G plan for medicare is a good a plan that covers 100% of everything, except Part B deductible and including cancer treatment. Original medicare will not cover your cancer treatment. I am also planning to enroll in that when I am eligible for medicare. But for foreign travel, there is a limit of first 60-days only after you leave the USA. Also it only covers emergencies. Emergency medical expenses are not that expensive in Thailand unless you have a heart attack, stroke or an accident. Most emergencies where you don't have to stay in the hospital overnight are not that expensive, may be $300 maximum. Of course, it is nice to get reimbursed for that also and G plan will cover that. And maximum lifetime is 50K USD for G plan outside the USA.

Another option for you may be to get a travel insurance for the 6-months that you're in Thailand, that will also include up to a million dollar evacuation plan. It will cost you around $200-$300 per month. If I were you, I will just forget it and cover emergencies in Thailand from my own pocket or use your HSA card. There is a high deductible G plan also but I am not familiar with that (and not available in all states). With High deductible G plan, you may be able to stash more money into your HSA card pre-tax. 

Edited by CartagenaWarlock
  • Like 2

I am 72 and have been on Medicare since '66 and living in BKK since '17. 

While I continue to be on Medicare in the USA and also have a supplement there, I also carry $32 million in Thai insurance from Luma Healthcare. 

Beware of insurance companies that do NOT have an office in BKK.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

But for foreign travel, there is a limit of first 60-days only after you leave the USA. Also it only covers emergencies. Emergency medical expenses are not that expensive in Thailand unless you have a heart attack, stroke or an accident. Most emergencies where you don't have to stay in the hospital overnight are not that expensive, may be $300 maximum. Of course, it is nice to get reimbursed for that also and G plan will cover that. And maximum lifetime is 50K USD for G plan outside the USA.

Another option for you may be to get a travel insurance for the 6-months that you're in Thailand, that will also include up to a million dollar evacuation plan. It will cost you around $200-$300 per month. If I were you, I will just forget it and cover emergencies in Thailand from my own pocket or use your HSA card.

Good info Cwarlock.   The only difference I found between plan G and N is that G covered the "excess charges" which apparently some doctors will charge and no $20 copay with G, .   International rules are the same for both plans.   The G premium is $170/mo and N is $144/mo.   With 10 months in, I have never seen any excess charges on a bill.

Based on these rates, the $200-$300 travel policy is pretty spendy.   Anyone know of a plan, possibly offered within Thailand, that can be used for a month or two after the 60 days coverage of these plans?

Below is a simple website for comparing costs/benefits.

https://www.aarpmedicareplans.com/health-plans/plan-summary/32164/035/2023?WT.mc_id=4WZ&product=MEDSUPP&intref=AARPMedicareSupplement.com&EBRC=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.aarpmedicaresupplement.com%2Fmedicare-information-guide.html&WT.srch=1&mrcid=ppc_ms&enginetype=GOOGLE&campaign=MS-GGL-AARP-BP-T1-Medigap-EM-4WZ&keyword=aarp+medigap+plan+g&kwid=p70075392612&gclid=CjwKCAiAp7GcBhA0EiwA9U0mtk9kV2eomQmuq_9B0ibpRrx8oNo7CjkkutZ2uuLbAmLQYkVsS3v--xoCm1MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by madisongy
addition

1 hour ago, Makoshark said:

I am 72 and have been on Medicare since '66 and living in BKK since '17. 

While I continue to be on Medicare in the USA and also have a supplement there, I also carry $32 million in Thai insurance from Luma Healthcare. 

Beware of insurance companies that do NOT have an office in BKK.  

Actually I would be more concerned with those based in Thailand/BKK as there seems to be very little oversight control of Thai Insurance.  Foreign plans, regardless of if they have an office in Thailand, are normally subject to much higher standards.  You may have to pay up front - but at least they pay.

But this is about Medicare and as I do not need, can not answer.

On 12/4/2022 at 2:05 PM, Onerak said:

Is not all G plan are supposed to be the same as per US laws? If you know for certain, please answer. I don't want guess works. I clearly asked if somebody has enrolled in Plan G, I want their feedback not random guess work from self proclaimed expert's opinions. Thanks anyway for information that is not all useful at all to me. Paying out of pocket is not a problem (that's what my credit cards are for with one million USD credit) for me as I do for my current insurance out side the USA and get reimbursed 50%. Also, yes I understand it will be for emergency only. Not to replace my kidney, if required. 

I gave you correct information as a licensed Medicare insurance agent in the USA!!

23 hours ago, swm59nj said:

The previous members that have responded have given information based on what the Medicare website says and  their general knowledge. 
If you want definitive  official answers and questions about US Law then call Medicare and ask them. 

They will tell you nothing or tell you it is not covered.  Each plan one choices has different benefits and each plan should be investigated/called for the correct answer.   

Edited by bkk6060

$32 million bht... I will arrive back in BKK and get $10 million bht insurance this time thru pacific Cross.  Luma will NOT insure me as I am older than 72.

Luma is terrific.  They used to be called  MSH International. I had kidney stones and they covered EVERY stone 220,000 bht at St. Louis Hospital. 

They are terrrrrrific. if you are under 72. 

• 1 month later...

MY  EXPERIENCE

I am on United healthcare Advantage choice plan 2

in less than 60 days  i went to hospital think it was 2019 for testing of pain in stomach

walked into emergency entrance Bangkok Hospital Rayong.

got i think  about 34,000 TB  bill

paid with credit card,  submitted receipts to United Healthcare  when i returned to USA.   They gave me 80%  of my cost.  I had already met the deductible.