Switching from Ed visa to Work Visa. How much time do I have once I cancel my Ed visa?

I'm currently on an Ed visa, did one extension so far for a total of about 6 months on this visa. I found a job in Thailand and my new employer wants me to cancel my current visa before I leave Thailand to apply for my Work Visa. When I go to immigration to cancel my Ed visa, do I get just 24 hours to leave the country or do they give me a 7 day grace period before I need to leave the country?

The reason why I ask is because of the timing of paperwork I need about a week between when I cancel my Ed visa and when I leave Thailand. If there is no grace period when I cancel, any other suggestions to stay in the country for a week?

Cheers in advance ????

You have to leave the country on the day your extension is canceled at immigration. 

You could go to immigration a few days before the date shown on a a letter from the school to have you extension canceled and they will post date the cancelation to that day.

You could just leave the country without a re-entry permit that would end your extension.

• Like 1

It will be canceled to the date the letter from your school states. So if you have a letter stating that you stop studying in one month and take this to immigration today, then they would cancel it to the date stated in the letter, leaving you a month in Thailand.

If you don't have a re-entry permit you could also just leave Thailand, this would also cancel your extension.

You can also apply for an extension for working without leaving Thailand.

Edited by FriendlyFarang
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

You can also apply for an extension for working without leaving Thailand.

Would that extension be based on my current Ed visa or is that a separate thing?

And thank you for explaining the process!

27 minutes ago, Donoff said:

Would that extension be based on my current Ed visa or is that a separate thing?

You be extending the permit to stay you got from the ED visa when you used it to enter the country.

You need to have a letter from the school to cancel you current extension and then apply for a extension based upon working.

You would need to check with immigration office about doing. Some offices may state you cannot change the extension for attending a school to one for working.

• Like 1