Local School Volunteer

Hi All,

I would like to volunteer for say an afternoon each week to help the English classes at the local kindergarten/primary school [private] that my grandson attends.  I would not accept any remuneration or other incentive, merely trying to help the kids speak English.

Would this be possible without going through the rigmarole of getting a work permit or any other bureaucratic process?  I hold both Bachelors and Masters degrees from a UK university but would like to keep this as an informal arrangement.

Does anyone have experience of this or can offer some advice?

Thank you.

Like many things in Thailand, it should be OK

Right up until the moment it isn't,

just throw the ubiquitous snitches into the mix of chest beating, ego centric corrupt officialdom and you'll likely be courting a disaster.

• Thanks 1

It's better to teach one child privately than 20 at once.  The one child will grow and pass on the skills to others.  But if you try to teach 20 kids they will not listen or they will end up watching the totally mute Mr Bean cartoon.

I have found private lessons to be more effective.

14 minutes ago, Shannoblic said:

I have total Police clearance from the UK.  I was a University and College lecturer for some years and needed it.  I have a certificate from the Police in the UK and could produce it on demand. 

You will need to apply for the correct documents... Voulenteer forms.  Sorry.  Don't do it without the official permission....just not worth the risk. 

Thank you for your comments and replies.  It seems I would be better concentrating on teaching my grandson and ignoring the need to help other children speak English.  The school attempts this but in my opinion there is nothing better than having a 'native' speaker to help learning.

• Like 1

Thank you problemfarang.

I live in a pretty rural [but quite affluent] community and was thinking of ways to contribute.

However, having seen the advice and comments I have decided to just concentrate on my grandson and make sure he grows up bilingual.  Thank you for your suggestion but what appeared to me initially to be a simple thing does seem to have some potential pitfalls.

ADMIN - I think this topic could now be satisfactorily closed.