One Bad Hair Cut After Another...

SiamSquare123

Wow, you guys spend a lot of money for a haircut. Usually, my Missus cuts my hair (yes, she used to be a professional hair stylist once) and if she has no time, I go to a nearby beauty saloon. The lady does not speak any English, but she knows me by now and does an excellent job. Costs me 40 Bath. Place is clean and close by.

This reminds me of the topic we had about facial shaving: everybody's hair and experience is different. I have way too much hair, extremely thick and wavy and four colors from light brown to blond to white and gay (oops - Freudian slip, I mean gray :o), very long with a ponytail. The 40 baht barber at the traffic circle (Changpuak neighborhood, next to police box) did a fair job, and he now charges 50 baht.

Like lannarebirth said, I always got lousy haircuts back home. The $20 haircuts were worse than the $8 cuts; my stylist for three years cut off my new ponytail right after I told her in both our languages not to; her boss repeated the mistake the next time, etc. Now my boyfriend's sister cuts it just fine, for free. Last time she cut it, we joked that she could have made a bird's nest with the clippings.

Sexual orientation only matters if you intend to have sex then and there. Gay Thais gravitate to hair styling; then again, stylists in Guatemala and New York City tend to be gay, too. There was this extremely tall stylist in Guatemala City......

I dont really get why, but I have had 20 bad hair cuts in Thailand and zero good hair cuts. I have always gone to places in the 300-400 baht range - so maybe I need to go to somewhere more expensive?

Are there any good places to get a hair cut in the Nana area that might be used to cutting farang hair? Can you recommend a specific barber/salonist?

Thanks, I am really getting tired of having to wait to go to HK or Singapore to not look like a fool with a lop-sided hair.

Louis Kraemer, Central Worl, 4th floor next to the banks. Never lets you down. Foreign Trained staff. Foreign Owned.

The guy walked in my shop 6 months ago promoting his opening with 50% discount. Just mention "Raymond" and he will give you the same price which is Baht 280.

I've had good experience with Moga in Emporium (3rd floor, I think, on the same level as Books Kinokuniya).

The shampoos are definitely worth the 700 (for men), if nothing else. They seem to cut women's hair pretty good, too. (Yes, I tend to watch sometimes. Creepy!)

I dont really get why, but I have had 20 bad hair cuts in Thailand and zero good hair cuts. I have always gone to places in the 300-400 baht range - so maybe I need to go to somewhere more expensive?

Are there any good places to get a hair cut in the Nana area that might be used to cutting farang hair? Can you recommend a specific barber/salonist?

Thanks, I am really getting tired of having to wait to go to HK or Singapore to not look like a fool with a lop-sided hair.

Louis Kraemer, Central Worl, 4th floor next to the banks. Never lets you down. Foreign Trained staff. Foreign Owned.

The guy walked in my shop 6 months ago promoting his opening with 50% discount. Just mention "Raymond" and he will give you the same price which is Baht 280.

Loui,raymond - sounds very gay.

280 baht!

I get mine for 35 baht, a good shave and massage too.

When I was in Bkk, I used to go to a place on Suk soi 103/1. Girls training to be hairdressers. 20 baht plus lots of girls to choose to go out with. Who cares that it was often lopsided?

I've been happy with the way CAT Barber Shop follows instructions properly, if your hair is cut by the owner herself (her name is "Cat").

There was this other girl there named Nok who was very good too, but doesn't speak much English. Cat can do it the first few times and when Nok gets used to seeing your hair, she can duplicate was Cat does.

Haven't been there for a while though, since I moved out of that area. May have changed a bit.

It's at BTS Nana station, inside the station, upstairs near the payment booth.

150 baht plus tip.

my bf gets his haircut everytime he's in bangkok and has tried the following salons (with his comments):

-Shisheido Emporium - (ok)

-Bangkok Salon at Emporium - (ok)

-Shisheido at Siam Paragon with stylist "Joe" - (best) -Personally, I and my (western)girl friends love him too, he does the best haircut IMO and speaks perfect

English.

-Chalachol at Thonglo - (not satisfied and stylist speak fair English only)

Over the last 4 years I've tried several of the "better" hairdressers in Bangkok with no good stories to tell. Maybe for the simple trim they're ok, but try getting a decent style, new style or colouring and I've had some nightmares. All in Emporium - rubbish, Chalachol in Siam Centre - rubbish, Central Chidlom - average, Erawan - not much good, and lastly and most recently the German one in Central World (Tom & Co) who coloured my hair the wrong colour in the wrong way. Even when things were explained clearly to managers who spoke fluent English, the staff would misunderstand and mess up.

So far I've found it impossible to get a new decent haircut in Bangkok, but my worst ever was in Bali: I couldn't pull for weeks after that one.

:D same with me!!!!! a couple of weeks ago I was under a lot of problems so I had (hair-disorder) same as the common (eating -disorder) that effects some ppl; so I went on a craze of changing my hair color and styles :bah: .

The first time I asked the hair dresser to dye my hair with dark choco base color (to hide the grey hair) and cream highlighted blocks; I ended up being blond (Paris Hilton ) :D and also the layers were not equally the same cut or length :D .

Last week I went and asked to color my hair only one color (brown mahogany);I ended up with pure charcoal black :o

If you are willing to color your hair here;put no prior expectations for the hair-color you would have after stepping out of the salon !!!!!!

BTW, both salons were highly recommended on this forum and they were extremely expensive :D

• 1 month later...

Toni&Guy in Siam Doscivery is quite good. Also there are hairdresser listings in www.surfbangkok.com website if you want more.

I can't recall a bad haircut here, but then again I am not very fussy and there is not much that can be done with my thin brown hair anyway. Besides, if I had a haircut that drew positive attention from the women it might lead me astray.

I never let the barbers shave my full face as it is too painful. Their razors are never up to my thick facial hair apparently. Anyone else have that problem? I do like the ear, forehead, etc. shaving, nose hair trimming, and the massage. Can't beat that for the 40-60 Baht I pay.

My girlfriend's a hairdresser and cuts my hair really well. Not too far to travel either as the shop is built onto our house! She only charges 20Baht (although I did pay a fortune to set everything up and pay for her training in the first place). I always feel a bit vulnerable when she's got the cut throat in her hand as well - I find that's a good time to remind her my life insurance has lapsed. The problem is we live in a village in the middle of nowhere in Nan provice so I don't suppose many of you will be making the trip.

Hey, I am going to recommend someone in Pattaya. She will be thrilled and she is worthy. She speaks only basic English but has 15 years cutting experience. As soon as she starts, you can just feel she knows what she is doing.

She works in the basement of Tukcom in a one lady shop. It looks like mostly a lady salon but she did a good job for me. Cost is 100 baht including shampoo (no double pricing). Don't expect male barbershop stuff like shaving in back because as I said this is more of a lady salon style:

It is called the ORN SALON. Just go the basement of Tukcom, it is between Tops and the food court.

Edited by Jingthing

I've had some nasty haircuts in Thailand. I've tried the village barbers and the more expensive shops in Pattaya -- not much difference between the two in my opinion. Now I live in a village not too far from Pattaya and I've got a barber that does a great job on my hair. It wasn't always that way, though. He started off doing an OK job of it, but it was always a little too short. To solve this, my GF came with me and asked him to leave it a bit longer. She also taught me to say "Mai sun gun bai." which means "not too short". Now he's more familiar with me and my hair, so when I drop in for a cut, he smiles and says, "Mai sun gun bai." then does a his good work for the exorbitant (ya, right) price of 50 baht. I give him 80 baht, and he's very happy with that. So, perhaps the way to get good consistent cuts is to visit the same barber and basically "train" him or her to do it the way you like it.