Looking to buy All in One PC

jonnyscot

Any recommendations where to look in and around pattaya, Chon Buri, sriracha etc,, without having to travel to Bangkok, I would even consider a decent used one, I’ve checked tukcom and see little choice there, not sure about the online (invadeit or advice) as I’d rather see the product, I understand better options available and better for upgrading if avoiding All in One PC but it’s what the mrs wants for her works set up.

thanks 

These days you can buy a very compact "desktop" that can easily be attached to the back of a monitor using a VESA mount.  This arrangement will largely replicate the experience of using an All in One PC.  The major difference is that there will two power cords and a short HDMI/Display Port cable from the computer to the monitor.  The mouse and keyboard cables can also be eliminated if you use Bluetooth components.

I recommend this setup over an All in One primarily because of easier hardware maintenance, replacement and upgrades.  There's a good chance it will also be cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really looked into "All in One's" a few years ago and found that generally you are getting out of date components, low level specs and poor, difficult to maintain hardware for a price much higher than you can spend for a decent mini-PC like the NUC which others have mentioned and I ended up buying.

Very decent monitors, certainly better than most offered by AiOs are available for under B3000.  A very decent NUC configuration can be had for B10,000, good enough for most routine computer uses and streaming.  Speakers on AiOs are universally terrible.  Many speaker alternatives available. Many AiO's offered only wired mouse and keyboards.  Wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse combos less than B1000.  A NUC based system will be more versatile, have more ports and be much higher quality than any AiO for a similar price.

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The other posters who recommended a NUC in place of an AIO were talking through experience, and trying to save the OP money and problems.

Yah yah. But the experience of having a happy Thai wife trumps that of having an unhappy one--unless, of course, she's not your wife. And the OP already indicated he knows the limitations of AIOs.

image.png.ca825f9a59dc76129b88329f86aecbe4.png

8 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yah yah. But the experience of having a happy Thai wife trumps that of having an unhappy one--unless, of course, she's not your wife. And the OP already indicated he knows the limitations of AIOs.

image.png.ca825f9a59dc76129b88329f86aecbe4.png

I would talk nicely, and firmly with the Mrs, and explain what these other posters have said about AIOs. She wouldn't know the difference,  As Gamb00ler said, the NUC can be fixed to the back of a monitor and be invisible, but will be better quality.

AIOs are fashionable with ladies at the moment, simply that.

Edited by KannikaP

28 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

The other posters who recommended a NUC in place of an AIO were talking through experience, and trying to save the OP money and problems.

Another brand popular is BMax - attached to rear of monitor (or TV - larger than monitor if you want) just add keyboard/mouse and will look just about the same as an all in one and offer much more versatility.  Most come plug/play these days so no shop required to set up.

• Thumbs Up 1

A friend of mine has an Acer all in one PC. During warranty the CMOS battery died (the battery for the BIOS). To replace it you have to dismantle the whole PC. The battery is on the motherboard. You have to remove this to have access to the battery on it. But it was still under warranty so only Acer could replace it. We had to send it to Acer to replace this small battery and wait and wait... 

59 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I would talk nicely, and firmly with the Mrs, and explain what these other posters have said about AIOs. She wouldn't know the difference

It's a bitter pill for our egos, but the OP already knew what the other posters have said. You dunno what she'd notice and what she wouldn't.

I just remembered how my old man thought that when he bought my mother the wrong brand of sewing machine. It was sad.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

AIOs are fashionable with ladies at the moment, simply that.

You've arrived at a critical insight. Hold that. BTW, have you taken that iPhone away from your wife?????

Edited by BigStar
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

A friend of mine has an Acer all in one PC.

Friend of mine has an HP for his wife and daughter, and it's been totally reliable, best of his machines. It's well put together, I have to admit. I wouldn't have one, but his wife and daughter love it.

31 minutes ago, BigStar said:

It's a bitter pill for our egos, but the OP already knew what the other posters have said. You dunno what she'd notice and what she wouldn't.

Mine would say 'You're paying for it, so up to you' as long as it works OK.

What do 'those who bear children' know about PCs?   Oh, is it PC to say that?   555

Edited by KannikaP

18 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I use an ASUS mini computer with external keyboard, mouse and monitor. I believe it's the way to go. The computer weighs about 300g and almost sits in the palm of my hand. It also goes easily in my room safe. Cheaper for traveling as well.

I just looked on the Internet. Is it something like this? 

https://www.advice.co.th/product/mini-pc/mini-pc-asus/desktop-asus-mini-pn51-e1-b-b5210md-90mr00k1-m001y0-?gclid=CjwKCAiAheacBhB8EiwAItVO27nIu_TlIn8_oFD5VesxPsP3Uu6yswNfw8ObDUrzRS3kQH4wCK92fxoC8McQAvD_BwE

That looks interesting. Does it have any disadvantages? 

2 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

Exactly that model. It's very easy to add an nvme drive and memory. Mine is a 1Tb drive with 32 Gb memory. I use it heavily and rarely turn it off. I also do a lot of dev work so the CPU works hard. The fan is mostly inaudible but never noisy.

I think if I were to go again I'd take the Intel NUC 11 only because it is fanless and potentially more reliable. I thoroughly recommend the ASUS as above.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Mine would say 'You're paying for it, so up to you' as long as it works OK.

Oh, then why didn’t you get her a cheap Android, in which you have considerable expertise from watching UK streaming TV, instead of that far more expensive iPhone? Android phones work OK.

My gf wouldn’t need to, as she bought her own iPhone with her own money. Oh—she and presumably the OP’s wife would easily be able to tell the difference between an AIO and a box with peripherals attached.

What do 'those who bear children' know about PCs?   Oh, is it PC to say that?   555

But that merely begs the question of what you know about those who bear children that would enable you (cough) to address the OP’s question? Not much, it turns out, given the sample you’re working from. And we can probably surmise the reasons for that necessity, but only to lead us further off-topic. Good play to our misogynistic peanut gallery, however. By this time you should be getting likes and thumbs ups.

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Oh, then why didn’t you get her a cheap Android, in which you have considerable expertise from watching UK streaming TV, instead of that far more expensive iPhone? Android phones work OK.

My gf wouldn’t need to, as she bought her own iPhone with her own money. Oh—she and presumably the OP’s wife would easily be able to tell the difference between an AIO and a box with peripherals attached.

But that merely begs the question of what you know about those who bear children that would enable you (cough) to address the OP’s question? Not much, it turns out, given the sample you’re working from. And we can probably surmise the reasons for that necessity, but only to lead us further off-topic. Good play to our misogynistic peanut gallery, however. By this time you should be getting likes and thumbs ups.

This is completely off topic. The OP intimated that HE was buying his wife a PC, not an Android or iPhone. 

I am glad you have a GF who can buy her own, and can tell the difference.

And as for your answer about my remarks about women, there was 555 after it. Sorry you have no sense of humour.

Edited by KannikaP

27 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

This is completely off topic. The OP intimated that HE was buying his wife a PC, not an Android or iPhone.

Not a PC, but specifically an AIO. Strive for precision, my man.

In the landscape of extinction, precision is next to godliness.
       --Samuel Beckett

Fortunately, a couple of posters did kindly try to help the OP his quest, so I hope he succeeds. I congratulated one of them, whereupon you jumped in to schoolmarm and defend off-topic posts.???? And your 555 wasn't in reference to your belittling of 'those who bear children' but rather a smug little pat on the back at your own cleverness for the play on PC, with an implied bold sneer at Political Correctness.

So that's all cleared up, a contradiction noted, and I assume we're done then.

Edited by BigStar

19 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Not a PC, but specifically an AIO. Strive for precision, my man.

In the landscape of extinction, precision is next to godliness.
       --Samuel Beckett

Fortunately, a couple of posters did kindly try to help the OP his quest, so I hope he succeeds. I congratulated one of them, whereupon you jumped in to schoolmarm and defend off-topic posts.???? And your 555 wasn't in reference to your belittling of 'those who bear children' but rather a smug little pat on the back at your own cleverness for the play on PC, with an implied bold sneer at Political Correctness.

So that's all cleared up, a contradiction noted, and I assume we're done then.

Up to you!

18 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

My Lenovo All in One is in it's eighth year, the damned thing won't die but I want a new one.

Good luck - my Lenovo B310 All in One will be 12 years old in two more months.  Replaced keyboard/mouse/upgraded to SSD - but machine just will not die.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Up to you!

OK. Now as of your last post, you still were not able to grasp that the OP wants an AIO for his wife because she wants an AIO. NOT "a PC." Reading and understanding the topic would be a notable breakthrough--and then addressing it specifically would be helpful, as I congratulated one poster.

Now this indignant harrumph! after you earlier defended going off-topic:

This is completely off topic.

Laughable. But actually I simply followed up my earlier point:

On 12/14/2022 at 2:46 PM, BigStar said:

But the experience of having a happy Thai wife trumps that of having an unhappy one--unless, of course, she's not your wife.

with the iPhone/Android analogy. It proved exactly what I said. When it's your wife, she gets the tech she wants, no matter if the other is cheaper across the board, "works," and is more maintainable. So it is with the OP and his wife. Why should our posters pretend they don't do the same thing when their wife's happiness is at stake? Such hypocrisy.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Wow, thanks for all the replies, hadn't really checked back till now as I already had the required info from a poster,  appreciated from both those respondents who advised on specifically what I was looking for, and also to those with other suggestions, finished up buying her an AIO as planned, and to answer some questions that I don’t really need to answer, yes she certainly could’ve bought one by herself, however I bought it as a bit of a Christmas present, she was quite delighted with it, although it was to help her in her work setup and not really as an irrelevant gift. Quite interesting and humorous to read some of the counter replies, thanks for those too, 

Edited by jonnyscot

I know you are after an AIO, but with laptops now having 17 inch and 19 inch screens, with everything you need onboard, and can run off a battery for even more portability, they are possibly more AIO than an actual AIO these days.  

Edited by KhunHeineken

On 12/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, BigStar said:

Friend of mine has an HP for his wife and daughter, and it's been totally reliable, best of his machines. It's well put together, I have to admit. I wouldn't have one, but his wife and daughter love it.

I bought a Lenovo AIO about three years ago, it was terrible with all sorts of problems, then I was advised to get an SSD fitted to it, and it has been great ever since.