3rd Degree during 90 Day Reporting at Chiang Mai

Usually do my 90 Day online, but a system issue meant a visit to immigration today.

Officer was perfectly friendly, although I felt he was questioning me a lot on my address, travel plans and residency in general.

My work permit and extension are connected with Bangkok. But as I work remotely, I move around a bit and have spent the last 6 months in CM.

I got the impression that the IO thought I should be reporting 90 days in BKK, because my extension stamp is from CW. He seemed overly questioning about why I was in CM and when I would be returning to BKK. Also wanted to check I wasn't working in CM.

Is there any actual restriction on working online in different parts of the country, if visa extension itself is based in a particular province?

Maybe officer was just making conversation. Couldn't help feeling he was probing for a rule breakage or applying pressure though. Might have the wrong end of the stick either way.

No big issue, but would appreciate any input if I'm technically breaching a rule or not.

If I end up having to go again, would it be a problem to tell them I work online, but the head office is in BKK (thus my extension is from CW) ?

Edited by mankindmatt5

Did you have a TM30 filed in Chiang Mai showing you've been registered to stay there?

That's usually why they question you. There is no official rule that says you can't file a 90 day report at any immigration office where you happen to be staying when it comes due
BUT

when they see out of province extensions (especially without a TM30 showing you now are IN that province) they can get a bit persnickety

I would just use the online system.. ????

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tod Daniels said:

Did you have a TM30 filed in Chiang Mai showing you've been registered to stay there?

That's usually why they question you. There is no official rule that says you can't file a 90 day report at any immigration office where you happen to be staying when it comes due
BUT

when they see out of province extensions (especially without a TM30 showing you now are IN that province) they can get a bit persnickety

Last TM30 was in Hua Hin, due to a hotel stay (which is what prevented my online TM47 going through).

Before that I've had 2 90 day reports done in CM and I had my CM TM30 slip in my passport too.

Most likely because you did your extension in Bangkok and your doing your 90 day report out of province, unles you did a recent TM30 registering in CM, suppose to do your 90 day in the province you are registered, if you do online then you could do it anywhere

• Like 2