Extension and Multi-Entry question

My extension is due for renewal in January 2023 (next month), and my passport expires the same year i.e. November 2023, so I am to believe that the extension will only be valid until the expiry date of my current passport, i.e. November 2023 instead of the usual January of every year.

That said, I will be going to Laos to renew my passport around September to give it enough time to come back as I have heard it can take between 6-12 weeks, and it's more convenient for me to go to Laos twice to drop off the passport application and collect my new passport when it's ready, as opposed to flying to Bangkok twice, so my question is when paying my renewal fee of 1,900 baht, should I ask for a multi entry as opposed to paying the 1,000 baht re-entry fee twice, I ask this because I have never asked for a multi entry before and it sounds like it could save me a little hassle.

Any further advice/corrections appreciated in advance ????

16 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

, I ask this because I have never asked for a multi entry before and it sounds like it could save me a little hassle.

Personally I would go for multi.

It's 3800 vs 1000.

For the sake of the extra baht it allows you to exit and reenter as you need and covers you for the period of the extension. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

And if you're going to do in CW make sure you have all the time in the world to wait. and wait, and wait in both the extension process and the re entry, as the place is a chock of block full of people every day...

Edited by ezzra
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Personally I would go for multi.

It's 3800 vs 1000.

For the sake of the extra baht it allows you to exit and reenter as you need and covers you for the period of the extension. 

Can you clarify, is that 3,800 on top of the 1,900 baht renewal fee, as my wife believes the 3,800 baht includes the 1,900 baht fee.

Somehow I don't think that's correct, I think it's 1,900 baht for the renewal fee, then you have the option to pay 1,000 for a single re-entry or 3,800 for a multi.

If my thoughts are correct and I have to pay 3,800 for a multi plus the fee of 1,900 then I am better off doing two single re-entries as I don't intend on exiting Thailand in 2023 apart from going to Laos twice as I just returned from an overseas trip. 

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Can you clarify, is that 3,800 on top of the 1,900 baht renewal fee, as my wife believes the 3,800 baht includes the 1,900 baht fee.

The 1900 is fee for extension.

The 1000single or 3800muliti is fee for reentry permit.

Separate fees

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ezzra said:

And if you're going to do in CW make sure you have all the time in the world to wait. and wait, and wait in both the extension process

CW has online appointment option and it works a treat. 

Very little waiting. 

https://www.immigration.go.th/?page_id=20131

Edited by DrJack54

From OP he is no where near Bangkok from his mention of flights.  And he could have real issues now so probably best he does not explain multi re-entry fee is 3,800 and just get extension single re-entry each time to avoid domestic issues.  ????

Make sure you can obtain new passport through Embassy in Laos - they might have restrictions on who can do what if on a tourist entry.

• Like 1