Which holidays/special occasions are important for giving gifts to a Thai girlfriend?

wml22

I'd always bought a birthday gift for my Thai girlfriend because it's my cultural practice, but I thought that generally on a Thai person's birthday, they don't expect gifts or parties - it's more of a merit making occasion. I thought maybe the only really important gift giving occasions are anniversaries and Valentines Day. But someone earlier today told me there are three - those two, plus the girl's birthday. What do you all think is accurate? And how would you rank them in order of importance? I'd expect that anniversaries are the most important (e.g. for which the most expensive gifts would be given), followed by Valentines Day, and lastly maybe their birthday. But what do you all think?

I was told by my first missus here wasn't Thai culture to give gifts and celebrate birthdays (when it was my birthday). Was a different story when it was her birthday. I been here ten years. Not sure any occasion ranks higher than others. Also noticed value of the gift (and resaleabililty) is much more important than the thought put into the gift. For eg a 1 baht necklace with a special message engraved. Give her 2 baht...within 10 minutes she will be wondering why you didn't buy her 3 baht. The value of the gift usually wont be enough...shown with a disappointed pout...however much you've spent. I've learnt not to bother, you can't win. Thais have some wonderful qualities...showing appreciation is not on of them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1