Friendly Borders?

I've been in Thailand for the last 18 months on tourist/ then agent volunteer visa, which expires next week.

I've subsequently turned 50 and now wish to change to a Non-O retirement.

I spoke to a visa run company, and they've told me that all border bounces in Cambodia are off limits to anyone who has been here with Education/Volunteer/Covid extensions

over the last year+.

Flying home and obtaining a 90 Non-OA is an option, but I'd rather avoid the insurance requirements, especially when it comes to extending it.

Have the Laos borders adopted the same policy? Is it possible to maybe spend a night in Vientiane, and come back visa exempt?

Or are there any other options?

Many thanks.

15 minutes ago, Daithi85 said:

I don't know if something has changed but I've went to a few visa run companies this week and they said no problems doing the Cambodian border run with COVID extensions.. 

He said as of yesterday it's not possible for Education/volunteer and extension (which I took to mean covid extensions).

1 hour ago, mockingbird said:

Pattaya.  Maneerat visa on Soi 13 gave me his number. I haven't asked any other visa run company.

8 weeks ago I went from Pattaya to nongkai and done a border bounce there.Very long trip but no problems at the border.You could also get the direct bus to mukdahan and do the border bounce there....Im supposed go to Cambodia with the border run company but if the rules have changed it will be back to loas.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

I don't know if something has changed but I've went to a few visa run companies this week and they said no problems doing the Cambodian border run with COVID extensions.. 

There was a report here from a guy with multiple Covid extensions who was refused exit on the Thai side of the Cambodian border. I had the same problem too, but managed to cross the border, although it was not easy.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

There was a report here from a guy with multiple Covid extensions who was refused exit on the Thai side of the Cambodian border. I had the same problem too, but managed to cross the border, although it was not easy.

My thinking was if I used a visa run company I'd bypass these problems at the border.

My suggestion would be to fly to Vientiane on Air Asia (cheap now) and return either with a tourist visa (requires an appointment from the Thai embassy) or visa exempt via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai. From Nong Khai, arrange to fly from Udon Thani airport, take the train to Bangkok, or go by bus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

My suggestion would be to fly to Vientiane on Air Asia (cheap now) and return either with a tourist visa (requires an appointment from the Thai embassy) or visa exempt via the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai. From Nong Khai, arrange to fly from Udon Thani airport, take the train to Bangkok, or go by bus.

Thanks Tim.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. I don't need a tourist visa as I'll be switching to retirement, but I'm not sure if crossing visa exempt would be a good idea.

54 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Thanks Tim.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. I don't need a tourist visa as I'll be switching to retirement, but I'm not sure if crossing visa exempt would be a good idea.

I crossed at nongkai and got 45 days exempt no problem after 2 years of COVID extensions.I just checked the visa run companies in Pattaya again this morning and they said no problems at the Cambodia border.

2 hours ago, mockingbird said:

Thanks Tim.

Historically, Thai immigration at the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai has been hassle free. While there is never 100% certainty that nothing changes, it is extremely unlikely that you would be refused a visa exempt entry there. Returning by air to Bangkok, however, especially if planning to enter visa exempt, would not be risk free.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Oh ok that doesn't fill me with confidence,I might be better going to loas again.

But since you're already off covid extensions, there should not be a problem. The problem was that I was on a covid extension and they told me I should use an airport to clear it. Which of course was bullsh*t.