Beach conditions at Cha Am

Sparkles

Bit of advice please. We live in Chiang Mai and took advantage of the new Air Asia direct flights to Hua Hin then taxi to Cha Am.

Hadn't been to Cha Am since I was working in Bangkok 15 years ago and distinctly remember a stretch of sandy beach at Cha Am but alas this trip the ocean water was pounding into the concrete steps every day making swimming there not only difficult but dangerous and my intention was to soak up some salt water rather than our small resort pool.

We enjoyed our 4 days but couldn't get an answer if these ocean conditions are the new norm ,if so we will have to find another beach location. 2 days of misty rain was also unusual. 

The larger tide is normal in December in Cha-am & Hua Hin. However currently the low tide isn't until about 3am, so that's a bit of a double whammy. I was there earlier this week, and the waves were hitting the steps from central to south Cha-Am beach, although the northern end was still very sandy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2022 at 2:23 PM, mark5335 said:

The larger tide is normal in December in Cha-am & Hua Hin. However currently the low tide isn't until about 3am, so that's a bit of a double whammy. I was there earlier this week, and the waves were hitting the steps from central to south Cha-Am beach, although the northern end was still very sandy.

Thanks for the info, next time will try the northern end. The surge hitting the concrete steps was so strong you could hear the sound 200 m away. Tried to swim but sank up to my knees in unstable sand, first wave knocked me over and been surfing most of my life back in Oz. Might explain why no one else was attempting to swim.???? 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...