Just spring for the freakin' Ben and Jerry's!

Jingthing

29 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I eat ice cream frequently.   The only adult teeth that have been removed were two impacted molars, back in 1970, when I was in the Army. 

I don't know about that thirst bit.   Sliced bananas taste good on a peanut butter sandwich.   

Now, if you want a banana food that tastes good and sweet! 

Chop one or two bananas up, put into a pan or pot with 1 - 2 tablespoons of butter, heat and stir until the bananas are all creamy, eat.  Damn that is good!  Be sure to use salted butter.   

Brushing and flossing. 

46 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I have eaten at chick fil a.  The best food they have there are the crackers for the chicken soup.   Very mediocre tasting food! 
I have also had better ice cream than ben and jerry's!

I had a Chick milk shake which was very good. They're famous for their chicken sandwiches but I haven't tried.

I have also have had better ice cream than Ben and Jerry's at artisan shops. Ben and Jerry's style is a particular experience that is very popular and definitely better than Bud's. If you crave Ben and Jerry's only their brand will do it. I remember when Häagen-Dazs  was the <deleted> before Ben and Jerry's hit the scene. It's also high butterfat but I don't crave that brand. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please also consider the carbon footprint of a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream when shipped to Thailand! 

Just due to the extra carbon pollution, I am sure that neither Ben nor Jerry would want to see you eating their ice cream, so far from their factories. 

You don't say?

You think Ben and Jerry don't know they're stuff is sold abroad?

Maybe there's an Asia factory?

They have one in Netherlands for Europe.

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Eating ice cream by the pint is the surest way to triple bypass surgery. 

My father ate ice cream by the pint. 

He endured bypass surgery twice in his life. 

I don't eat ice-cream. 

Instead, I just peel a few bananas and store them in the freezer. 

Please stay away from foods containing sugar. 

Also, eating ice cream makes one thirsty. And it rots your teeth, if you might still have any left. 

It's well known that it's very common for people to eat the entire pint in one sitting.

Especially single people on dateless Saturday nights.

When it's a chocolate flavor it's like love in a spoon.

Netflix and chill with your Ben and Jerry's pint. I won't tell.

It would be interesting to do a research study to know what percentage of pints are eaten that way.

That's obviously unhealthy. Nobody would debate that.

But you have to look at the frequency and other factors.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I prefer the "Mister Whippy" type ice cream cornets as opposed to fancy ice cream. Places like KFC sell them for around 10 baht for plain vanilla. It's probably the best thing they sell. Haven't had any  since before covid-19, but I would only eat 1 or 2 in a crab season anyway.

whippy.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 1:10 PM, Keep Right said:

None for me. I do not support a far left, woke company such as this.

Founded in 1978 in Burlington, Vermont, the company went from a single ice cream parlor to a multi-national brand over the course of a few decades. It was sold in 2000 to multinational conglomerate Unilever and operates as an independent subsidiary. Its present-day headquarters is in South Burlington, Vermont, with its factory in Waterbury,

Vermont.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_%26_Jerry's

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I prefer the "Mister Whippy" type ice cream cornets as opposed to fancy ice cream. Places like KFC sell them for around 10 baht for plain vanilla. It's probably the best thing they sell. Haven't had any  since before covid-19, but I would only eat 1 or 2 in a crab season anyway.

whippy.jpg

Soft serve dipped in chocolate wouldn't throw it out of bed

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

haagen Dazs all day over Ben & Jerry????

I'm sure many people feel that way. They directly compete as mass market luxury high butterfat brands. I'm assuming Ben and Jerry's beats them commercially though. 

In a way its a blessing that my "thriftiness" has prevented me from indulging in B and Js here in Thailand  Nobody needs it.

But it is only a matter of time before I buy a pint of Half Baked. The letdown of the Bud's pint has set the table.

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm sure many people feel that way. They directly compete as mass market luxury high butterfat brands. I'm assuming Ben and Jerry's beats them commercially though. 

I am sure Haagen Dazs is bigger commercially than BJ.. Outside of SanFran and Key West in the US & around the globe,  Haagen Dazs is the 'Go To" premium high Butterfat brand other than a small subset of the population who for ideological reasons prefer BJ's.

10 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

I am sure Haagen Dazs is bigger commercially than BJ.. Outside of SanFran and Key West in the US & around the globe,  Haagen Dazs is the 'Go To" premium high Butterfat brand other than a small subset of the population who for ideological reasons prefer BJ's.

Well it's a lot more complicated than  that.

They are both very major luxury brands.

This article points out that Häagen-Dazs appeals to those seeking more traditional flavors while Ben and Jerry's competitive advantage is their more wildly creative one.

https://www.mycatholickitchen.com/the-top-three-ice-cream-brands-ben-and-jerrys-haagen-dazs-and-nestle/

I see Häagen-Dazs as an old fuddy duddy brand  Also the Nordic name is a fake corporate creation.

My first luxury brand experience was Häagen-Dazs but once I had my first taste of Cherry Garcia the romance was over.

Buy what you want or buy nothing.

Up to you.

Edited by Jingthing

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Especially single people on dateless Saturday nights.

When it's a chocolate flavor it's like love in a spoon.

Netflix and chill with your Ben and Jerry's pint. I won't tell.

for some reason american pie movie comes to mind. 

20 minutes ago, Screaming said:

No reason to eat this woke ice cream:

th.jpg

Eating  a whole pint is more likely to make you sleepy.

It's funny not ha ha funny that a topic as innocent as yummy ice cream still brings out how divided Americans are.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, smutcakes said:

haagen Dazs all day over Ben & Jerry????

100%.

I like the idea of Ben & Jerry's mixing salty and sweet stuff and having interesting chunks of stuff to dig out, but the ice cream its floating in is good, not great, compared to Haagan Daz ice cream, which is flat-out great.

Back in the states, they tend to rotate the flavors a bit. Chunk-wise, Haagan Daz pistachio is as good as a 5* middle eastern restaurant. Their chocolate-covered almonds in vanilla ice cream is beautifully proportionate. I find B+J tends towards an over-chunk ratio -if that can ever be considered a bad thing. The cynic in me notes that pretzels and cookie dough are cheaper fillers inside the pint container than ice cream.

Rotation may be why I haven't seen an HD white chocolate, green tea ice cream bar here for a while. Again, like A dessert you might see in an upscale restaurant.

It's been ages but I agree Häagen-Dazs vanilla chocolate-covered almonds is fantastic.

B and Js has a flavor called Pistachio Pistachio which obviously has big chunks of actual nuts but it's not a greatest hits flavor so you won't find it in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

We did a taste-off, And B+J is too sweet for us. Also, the vanilla Haagan Daz had a richer vanilla flavor. Pistachio-wise, true, B+J was like eating a can of pastichio's agglomerated with a little ice cream.

I am bound for a Singapore getaway and will eat at the upscale middle eastern Artichoke Restaurant.

They have ice creams in flavors like Honey, Rose, Orang Blossom, and Saffron-Pistachio. Saffron-Pistachio is available in the ME section of Brooklyn, and a few other ME enclaves in America. Never encountered it in Europe.

On 12/27/2022 at 12:49 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Eating ice cream by the pint is the surest way to triple bypass surgery. 

• Ben Cohen had to undergo quintuple bypass surgery in 2001, at the age of just 49, to clear several blocked arteries.  These blockages were attributed to years spent eating copious amounts of ice cream.

I guess he was "testing" his product.

The other thing is the ice cream was marketed as "all natural" but contains corn syrup so they had to change it. 

Have fun, kids!

Edited by save the frogs
  • Thanks 1

My official pint of Ben and Jerry's Half Baked is in my house. In my freezer more specifically.

I don’t have a plan yet on when I will pop it's cherry (Garcia).

When it feels right.

Probably soon.

There is the same flavor with peanut butter but not sold in Thailand. 

I like that idea so I will add some natural crunchy peanut butter to a portion of what I have.

Edited by Jingthing

Here's another example of a product that I would enjoy but the price just seems too cra cra zee zee to ever buy here.

Original cream of wheat cereal. About $4.50 in the US and maybe $16 here. I don’t get it. I have paid hugely for Grape Nuts cereal but with lower multiples than Cream of Wheat. 

I don't each much ice cream but I have 2 thoughts on ice cream to share.   I was slightly distracted this close to NYE .  After my ice cream craving due to this thread subsided. Thoughts of moms homeade ice cream hand chuned by dad circa 1965 . Think the cleavers/Simpsons. Tall hairdue, pinnacle club as an excuse to rotating parties with tall hair, smoking as wide bar choices.  Coors  was bootlegged elsewhere.  and Schlitz was a thing. 

To my limited knowledge of B&J I think they were hippies who took a good idea and made it big.  Lots of converts and pot and what else. Business exploded and they succeeded.  

Now some claim they are "woke". But I need a definition along with that word. Political company?  Have you seen the donor lists?

I think what these wise men's companies or their stance is where I aide until I further we investigate this topic.  

2nd story.  My wife's god mother who, after the war asked if  her and husband could clean out a chicken coop to live in.  Well her dad owned 5 original shared of Bluebell.   In about 1985 the dividend on these xx,000  shares after splitscand things was over 100k/ month and the family was offering 2x price to buy it back.   Wow what a hard working lady till she died. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2022 at 1:35 AM, radiochaser said:

I eat ice cream frequently.   The only adult teeth that have been removed were two impacted molars, back in 1970, when I was in the Army. 

I don't know about that thirst bit.   Sliced bananas taste good on a peanut butter sandwich.   

Now, if you want a banana food that tastes good and sweet! 

Chop one or two bananas up, put into a pan or pot with 1 - 2 tablespoons of butter, heat and stir until the bananas are all creamy, eat.  Damn that is good!  Be sure to use salted butter.   

Diatarily speaking, I am sure that butter is healthy. 

It's just that, after watching the film, Last Tango in Paris, with Brando, I have been off butter for years. 

Still, your suggested recipe sounds great! 

On 12/28/2022 at 2:21 AM, Jingthing said:

You don't say?

You think Ben and Jerry don't know they're stuff is sold abroad?

Maybe there's an Asia factory?

They have one in Netherlands for Europe.

There very well might be a BJ factory in Asia, as you suggest. 

But it's neither here nor there, to me. 

I'm just trying my best to avoid triple-bypass surgery by staying clear of sugar, as well as corn syrup. 

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

There very well might be a BJ factory in Asia, as you suggest. 

But it's neither here nor there, to me. 

I'm just trying my best to avoid triple-bypass surgery by staying clear of sugar, as well as corn syrup. 

It's doubtful an occasional treat is going to kill you.

I looked up the ingredients for the Half Baked flavor and didn't see corn syrup.