Just spring for the freakin' Ben and Jerry's!

Jingthing

OK. as said I had a pint of Half Baked delivered.

As their number one selling flavor, that was my excuse to buy it and try it. 

My verdict, while I'm glad that I know what their top seller is like, it's not my favorite and I wouldn't choose it again. 

Maybe I'm just not a cookie dough person. 

25 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

All of the cane sugar I buy, I feed to yeast. In return, the yeast give me CO2 ... I use the CO2 to make leavened bread. 

You don't need to add sugar to your yeast to make bread.  I don't.  Just takes a wee bit longer to rise, that's all.  Yesterday's loaf:

image.png.a70a9cff48fc1f35f33968a26253651c.png

I get my Ice Cream fix at Swensen's, every Tuesday or so, 2 for 1 scoops.  Can't buy quarts and have at the house, as have no will power not take scoop a spoonful out when passing the freezer ... ????

Cream & sugar every day ... not the healthiest, especially if not burning it off.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You don't need to add sugar to your yeast to make bread.  I don't.  Just takes a wee bit longer to rise, that's all. 

But the yeast eat all the sugar so it is irrelevant if you do.

As or ice cream, I'm happy with the 10bht cones from KFC.

Wish the shop were nearer so I could eat more.

I nee to put on a few pounds.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You don't need to add sugar to your yeast to make bread.  I don't.  Just takes a wee bit longer to rise, that's all.  Yesterday's loaf:

I get my Ice Cream fix at Swensen's, every Tuesday or so, 2 for 1 scoops.  Can't buy quarts and have at the house, as have no will power not take scoop a spoonful out when passing the freezer ... ????

Cream & sugar every day ... not the healthiest, especially if not burning it off.

In all sincerity, the bread which you photographed is amazing. 

I'm not sure if the bread I bake would rise without feeding the yeast. 

By the way, if you cooked for me, I definitely would not add anything, any table-side condiments, to your dishes. I would not wish to alter the intended culinary experience. 

However, just keep in mind that some like it hot. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

But the yeast eat all the sugar so it is irrelevant if you do.

As or ice cream, I'm happy with the 10bht cones from KFC.

Wish the shop were nearer so I could eat more.

I nee to put on a few pounds.

A line straight from Bob Seger...

"I was a little too tall, could've used a few pounds" 

The only difference is that Seger was not thinking about ice cream. 

No. 

Far from it... 

He was tryin' to make some front page drive-in news. 

Tight points, way up high

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Back in the states, my wife does sourdough bread that takes 4 days to rise on its own.

In warm and humid Thailand, this should be sourdough Veuve Cliquot region of bread-dom. 

9 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Back in the states, my wife does sourdough bread that takes 4 days to rise on its own.

Know a lady back home - Dawson, YT - who still uses sourdough her relatives brought over the Chilkoot Pass in 1898

17 minutes ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

Love ben and jerrys but sadly they don't sell the best flavours here, they also clossed down the B + J shop in Siam Paragorn, - Hope they consider re opening with the massive influx of tourists now , although they closed down pre covid 

They closed down as B&J as its just not that popular outside the US when compared to other premium brands

3 hours ago, smutcakes said:

They closed down as B&J as its just not that popular outside the US when compared to other premium brands

They always seemed pretty busy whenever I visited Siam paragorn, like a continous que..........

then again they were situated right at the entrance of Siam paragorn, and probably paying the highest rent............

They should have at least kept a smaller store open in Phuket or Ekkamai

15 minutes ago, ESLTeacher1989 said:

They always seemed pretty busy whenever I visited Siam paragorn, like a continous que..........

then again they were situated right at the entrance of Siam paragorn, and probably paying the highest rent............

They should have at least kept a smaller store open in Phuket or Ekkamai

Thought they had one at Terminal 21 as well. Maybe that one is still open.

11 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Thought they had one at Terminal 21 as well. Maybe that one is still open.

Thailand no longer has any New Zealand Natural shops. They do in Malaysia, Singapore, and Vietnam though.

One of my best ever dessert memories was in KL Malaysia where I had a super thick milkshake of their vanilla ice cream blended with primo fresh durian. Their Thailand shops when they existed had special with fruit milkshakes as well but when I checked, no durian.

I guess such high end imported ice cream shops haven't done so well in Thailand.

Baskin and Robbins projects themselves as a luxury brand here, but like Bud's, definitely is NOT.

Edited by Jingthing

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thailand no longer has any New Zealand Natural shops. They do in Malaysia, Singapore, and Vietnam though.

One of my best ever dessert memories was in KL Malaysia where I had a super thick milkshake of their vanilla ice cream blended with primo fresh durian. Their Thailand shops when they existed had special with fruit milkshakes as well but when I checked, no durian.

I guess such high end imported ice cream shops haven't done so well in Thailand.

Baskin and Robbins projects themselves as a luxury brand here, but like Bud's, definitely is NOT.

Nor is Ben Jerry's so what is your point? It's just more corporate fast food

B&R far more popular than Ben Jerry's ever will be.

Edited by SuperSilverHaze

On 12/25/2022 at 11:06 PM, Jingthing said:

That it does. But once in a decade or so won't matter.

It's more expensive because its denser,  creamier, less pumped in air, higher butterfat, and has larger portions of the add in chunkies.

I like Americone Dream.

But I feel like sometimes there is too much of the add ins,  just a little too much sometimes.

Haagen Daz has some nice flavors that are a little simpler.

The Ben and Jerry's pint in the States are six bucks now, but they have a 4 oz size for 2 bucks.

I haven't looked for it in Thailand.

37 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

You might want to read the mission statement of the corporate <deleted> you consume. It's totally political. Always was.

Actually no, don't really want to do that.

Mission statements of Japanese companies make better reading,

Years ago working at a US aerospace company we were required to learn about these wondrous companies one of which wanted to be "the only provider of transportation devices in the universe".

Now that's a mission.

So if you have a rice burner car or motorcycle are you supporting megalomania?

Edited by cdemundo

5 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

I like Americone Dream.

But I feel like sometimes there is too much of the add ins,  just a little too much sometimes.

Haagen Daz has some nice flavors that are a little simpler.

The Ben and Jerry's pint in the States are six bucks now, but they have a 4 oz size for 2 bucks.

I haven't looked for it in Thailand.

I've seen one or two flavors in small size here, but I think too small. 

I like Americone Dream too. 

B and J is for when you want some man sized chunkies.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 9:30 PM, smutcakes said:

I am sure Haagen Dazs is bigger commercially than BJ.. Outside of SanFran and Key West in the US & around the globe,  Haagen Dazs is the 'Go To" premium high Butterfat brand other than a small subset of the population who for ideological reasons prefer BJ's.

I think Ben & Jerry's is the stoner's brand of choice.

Hence the flavors  "Phish Food",  "Cherry Garcia", "Half Baked" with 420 friendly names.

Stoner's are notoriously apolitical.

It is true they have some flavors with lefty names "something something Change" or like that.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

On 12/31/2022 at 7:28 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

More to the point is that children should be warned about consumption of either cane sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

funny you mentioned the children... i especially like the NYT excerpt at 20 seconds.

• Sad 1