Duration of Extension after Visa Exempt ?

I arrived BKk with a 90 day return flight booked? I was under the impression that arriving on a Tourist visa exemption for 45 days and being able to get a further 45 day extension as this would be within the new March deadline extending visa exemption from 30 to 45 days..

I applied for the extension last week and I received just 30 days at Surin IO.. After querying this at the IO they confirmed that the 45 day rule does not apply to Extensions.

This would mean a border bounce and a further  payment. I presume I can enter again on a visa exempt but what duration would it be and would I be able to obtain another 30 extension. 

How many times can I do this?

My airline ticket  allows me to alter my return flight only once for a fee. Hence the need to know definitive dates for appropriate action.

Anyone advise please!

Extension to visa exempt and tourist visa is 30 days. 

A border bounce will give you another 45 day stamp and that can be extended by 30 days.

Regards definitive dates.

That depends on when you exit Thailand on your current extension and of course when you reenter 

The new 45 day stamp (visa exempt) starts on entry to Thailand and a 30 day extension would be added to the expiry date of that 45 day stamp. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, fgmr said:

I presume I can enter again on a visa exempt but what duration would it be and would I be able to obtain another 30 extension. 

How many times can I do this?

You can enter visa exempt twice in a single calendar year if coming by land.

There is no specific limit if you come by air, however the periods you spend, and have spent, in Thailand, the number of day you spend outside Thailand and the number of entries and reason for entering will all factor into how easy it is to pass immigration and if the IO will be asking a lot of questions. 

At the moment any visa exempt entry until until 31st March will get 45 days, it is possible that the cutoff date maybe extended.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 1:11 PM, DrJack54 said:

Extension to visa exempt and tourist visa is 30 days. 

A border bounce will give you another 45 day stamp and that can be extended by 30 days.

Regards definitive dates.

That depends on when you exit Thailand on your current extension and of course when you reenter 

The new 45 day stamp (visa exempt) starts on entry to Thailand and a 30 day extension would be added to the expiry date of that 45 day stamp. 

Thank you Dr. Jack.