Pool equipment and ladder erthing/grounding

unheard

I would like to get some confirmation from the knowledgeable people on this forum that my pool is not an electrical hazard.

It's still unfinished at the moment.

I've recently came across western requirements for swimming pool bonding.

When I've mentioned them to my local, experienced pool builder (has done many pools before) he'd looked unsure about the question.

It's a simple salt water pool with lights and the usual pool electrical equipment - water pump and chlorinator.

The contractor has mentioned that the pool lights will be connected to the house earth/ground, which is a standard procedure.

I'm assuming that it would be the case with the pump and chlorinator.

As to the pool metal ladder, he said that he "can" (not a normal thing over here) earth/ground it separately from the house system.

Shouldn't it be tied up to the house earthing/grounding?

Or maybe even left without bonding/earthing/grounding like he's done with the rest of his pools?

The house has just been wired to the Thai electrical standards.

It has the full house RCBO installed.

There's a long discussion here https://aseannow.com/topic/1281234-earth-cablegrounding/

Are your pool lights low-voltage (12V) with proper transformers located away from the pool area?

Your pumps etc. should not be accessible by pool users and can use the house ground.

Generally, all the metalwork in the pool area, including the pool structural steel and the lighting should be electrically bonded together creating an equipotential zone.

Whether this zone is then connected to the house electrical earth is debatable, I would follow the UK/Europe convention of NOT connecting to the electrical ground.

Is there any possibility of mains powered equipment being used in the pool area? If at all possible, this should be avoided. The vast majority of pool electrocutions are caused by faulty mains powered kit (or just wet hands operating kit not designed for it). 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Are your pool lights low-voltage (12V) with proper transformers located away from the pool area?

Your pumps etc. should not be accessible by pool users and can use the house ground.

I'll check with him on the pool lights voltage.

All equipment (electrical and pumping) is enclosed in an above-ground little structure, which they call a machine room. There's a waterproof brick wall separating pool's water and equipment.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Is there any possibility of mains powered equipment being used in the pool area? If at all possible, this should be avoided. The vast majority of pool electrocutions are caused by faulty mains powered kit (or just wet hands operating kit not designed for it).

Could you please explain it as you would do to a 7 year old?

What do you mean under "mains powered equipment"?

Appreciate your help!

Just now, unheard said:

What do you mean under "mains powered equipment"?

Anything powered by the 220V supply.

Fans, electric barbie, Ghetto Blaster, that sort of thing.

Really, really avoid having power outlets in the pool area, they are way too tempting.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Please let them be 12V!

Mains pool lights really are accidents waiting to happen!

Thank you for mentioning this.

I've pulled up the pool's build quote.

The lights are listed as 12V AC with a transformer and junction box.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, unheard said:

Thank you for mentioning this.

I've pulled up the pool's build quote.

The lights are listed as 12V AC with a transformer and junction box.

Your pool transformer should cost about B4000 to B5000. Check how much the quoted price is. ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, carlyai said:

Your pool transformer should cost about B4000 to B5000. Check how much the quoted price is. ????

There's no price listed per line item.

For four pieces of 12W LED lights plus the transformer and junction box the quoted price is 14,400

How's that sound?

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1