If you are listening to music - What's Playing ? (2023)

CharlieH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been listening to a lot of techno music (now called psytrance) in preparation for a visit to Ko Phagnan's Full Moon Party. I've come to appreciate the DJ skill of repetition/tension-building up to the point where they have "the drop", where the rhythm changes and everyone goes berserk.

But Disco did this trick better 50 years ago and with better tunes. Jazz musicians were bringing audiences to their feet by blasting harder and faster on the second chorus 80 years ago. The Grateful Dead had a whole career based on this simple musical hat trick.

I'm back in my long-running taste for Soul Jazz, which was post-bop players reaching for a little commerciality by mixing in soul/r+b elements and covering songs outside of the American song book canon, like really stretching out on Ode To Billy Joe.  

To sample this groovy genre, Back At The Chicken Shack is a 20 minute long cut that will have you hitting replay. I'm Part Of The In Crowd by Ramsey Lewis is another Soul Jazz Ear-wormer. Blue Note Records had the best cuts and a Youtube search for Blue Note Soul Jazz can get you lost for days.

Then there is Latin Soul Jazz, where say, Mongo Santamaria really beats the hell out Watermelon Man, or  Willie Bobo's bongo's thru the orig (he wrote it) version of Evil Ways, or War's 20 minute version of The World is A Ghetto.  That's really my preferred flavor, but they didn't make enough of it.

Edited by LaosLover

• 2 weeks later...

Been an avid fan of Popmaster on BBC Radio Two since it started in 1998, and was on it twice.

But today is Ken Bruce's last day after 31 years before he moves to Greatest Hits Radio. He actually bought the rights to it when it started, so he takes the quiz with him, but the station is 5hit3, so I shal not be listening. 

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I'm not clever enuff to add links on my small phone.

Check out theJapanese band...

Seagull Screaming Kiss Me Kiss Me.

The groups name is taken from a XTC song.

(Coma is my fav.)

Perhaps you can upload?????????

3 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

I'm not clever enuff to add links on my small phone.

Check out theJapanese band...

Seagull Screaming Kiss Me Kiss Me.

The groups name is taken from a XTC song.

(Coma is my fav.)

Perhaps you can upload?????????

Excellent

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...