2022 killed the cheap money era. Here’s what the next decade has in store

For more than a decade after the Great Financial Crisis, central banks worldwide kept interest rates low in an effort to revive the economy.

It was an era of cheap money that fueled risky investments in unprofitable tech stocks, dodgy cryptocurrencies, and backdoor IPOs known as SPACs. And when COVID hit and central banks doubled down on their loose monetary policies to prevent a global recession, it helped exacerbate a whole new problem: inflation.

37 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

How did they lose? Anyone who bought Bitcoin and held a couple of years is up. 

Well it's down -64% over the last year.

And there are other crypto currencies that have done far worse and gone to zero.

And in the volatility, you can easily trade your way down to -99% cos it's a wild ride.

Christ, even over the last 5 years Bitcoin has only done +29% which is utterly pitiful and atrocious considering the risk involved (and nothing to be proud of).

You'd have done better with a rental property or a conservative index fund.

Edited by 2009
  • Like 2

When financial "experts", both professional and amateur, cannot predict even 3 months forward with any degree of accuracy, why should anybody in their right mind believe a forecast for 10 years ahead?

You might just as well go to KFC and get a pile of chicken bones to use for predictions.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, 2009 said:

Christ, even over the last 5 years Bitcoin has only done +29% which is utterly pitiful and atrocious considering the risk involved (and nothing to be proud of).

You are taking from near the top of the bull cycle. I could say it has done 500% since early 2020, or 1500% in 6 years. 

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How did they lose? Anyone who bought Bitcoin and held a couple of years is up. 

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I bought some Bitcoin early 2018 after some for then big falls averaging in for about 10500 and at best I am up 40%.

Pretty terrible compared to my rented out property investment.

Even in gold I would have done better.

Not to speak of the risk involved.  Bitcoins suck big-time.

19 minutes ago, 2ndhomepattaya said:

Nothing could be further from the truth.

I bought some Bitcoin early 2018 after some for then big falls averaging in for about 10500 and at best I am up 40%.

Pretty terrible compared to my rented out property investment.

Even in gold I would have done better.

Not to speak of the risk involved.  Bitcoins suck big-time.

So you bought near the peak  of a bull market, not wise but as you found out, if you keep it you will profit. Your investment went x7 almost after 3 years, reaching $69,000, why are you complaining? Unbelievable!