Two Russians Arrested for Begging in Surat Thani

webfact

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Playing guitar for donations isn't begging  because people are free to give a donation in return for listening to a live song 

I know they've been arrested for begging, but In some countries, begging is seen as working and you can have your visa cancelled.

Not sure what the situation is in Thailand though.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

My condo has a fair few Russian draft dodgers. As a baby boomer former draft dodger myself, I welcome them warmly. Vietnam would have been a picnic compared to what they're being coerced to do.

In my favorite pot store, I saw a Russian draft dodger sharing a bong and fist-bumping with a Ukrainian draft dodger. Just such a beautiful We Are the World-moment (so let's start giving).

And both were named Igor. What are the odds?

"Lets start giving".. what exactly? 

I personally find it impossible to say the phrase, We Are The World without its irresistible rejoinder of "so let's start giving". Just such a perfect nonsense-lyric.

But if I see some Ivan begging as war protest, I'm good for a 20 baht note (warning: only one 20 baht hand out-recipient per day. Blind singers from Issan take precedence).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Playing guitar for donations isn't begging  because people are free to give a donation in return for listening to a live song 

Which means there is effort put into what they do and money changes hands, hence they would require work permit, right?

19 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I hope Putin passes laws that make it illegal for all fighting age men to be outside Russia.  Then Thai immigration can collect them all and send them back to the front.  Rawai is already unliveable due to their arrival.

If Russia demands this, that really puts Thailand in the hot seat with their oh so convenient neutrality.

In the history of the world, has any nation dutifully swept up draft dodgers to deliver them back home? 

In the one in a million chance that Putin demanded this, Xi would speak up for his sphere of influence neighbors. Thailand jumps from China, not Russia. What's in it for China in this scenario?

Other than improving your beach-experience.

Can we hear more about how Russian holidayers are harshing your mellow?

Edited by LaosLover

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

No, but then you get payed for doing something. That´s called work! Choose your poison.

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Playing guitar for donations 

Soliciting donations would require them to be licensed as a legal charity. Then as aliens they would need a work permit tied to their legally licensed charity to do so.

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Which means there is effort put into what they do and money changes hands, hence they would require work permit, right?

More than that, they would need to have registered a fully licensed legal charity, then have work permits provided by this licensed, registered charity to solicit donations.

• Like 1

Just now, JeffersLos said:

Soliciting donations would require them to be licensed as a legal charity. Then as aliens they would need a work permit tied to their legally licensed charity to do so.

More than that, they would need to have registered a fully licensed legal charity, then have work permits provided by this licensed, registered charity to solicit donations.

Did you just write the same info twice in one post? ???? 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

If Russia demands this, that really puts Thailand in the hot seat with their oh so convenient neutrality.

In the history of the world, has any nation dutifully swept up draft dodgers to deliver them back home? 

In the one in a million chance that Putin demanded this, Xi would speak up for his sphere of influence neighbors. Thailand jumps from China, not Russia. What's in it for China in this scenario?

Other than improving your beach-experience.

Can we hear more about how Russian holidayers are harshing your mellow?

I don't live in Rawai.  I live in a small coastal (Russian free) fishing village.  But I have a mate in Rawai I like to visit.  

I spent a week in Jomtien this year. Very Russian. They seem fine. Very gym-oriented. Not too chatty.

If the many uh, professional Eastern European women roam free there, I have to believe small potatoes beggars are prob safe too.