Two Russians Arrested for Begging in Surat Thani

webfact

So what kind of visa does the typical Russian get to visit Thailand?  45 days on arrival?  tourist visa?  or some sort of long term?

Sure seems to me that there could well be a lot of Russians not anxious to go back to Putin land when their visa options all expire?  Will Thailand round them up and deport them?  Or maybe they move over to cambodia for a few years?

12 minutes ago, pomchop said:

So what kind of visa does the typical Russian get to visit Thailand?  45 days on arrival?  tourist visa?  or some sort of long term?

Sure seems to me that there could well be a lot of Russians not anxious to go back to Putin land when their visa options all expire?  Will Thailand round them up and deport them?  Or maybe they move over to cambodia for a few years?

Makes ya wonder if Thai Authorities in late October where aware for many Ruskies it was not the usual holiday escape but a one-way ticket with no intention of returning in 45-60-90 days........

2 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

It was only a few months ago the Russian arrival was a savior for tourism but as predicted the departures will need a smart car or two not forgetting a pointing stick and vinyl board also ????    

Quite right, getting them into Thailand is easy, getting rid of them is going to be 'awkward'?????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Overstay jail or becoming hamburger meat in Donesk?

And what's in it for Thailand to fill up their jails and get a lot of bad press and pressure over it? I anticipate a swift kick into the long grass on this one.

As to the unbearably petty types demanding the certain death of harmless beach goers, if I find myself on the barstool next to you, I'll be briskly and theatrically changing my seat.  

How are these people not refugees? They face certain oblivion back home and have done no wrong.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

And what's in it for Thailand to fill up their jails and get a lot of bad press and pressure over it?

Why on earth would Thailand get ANY bad press for enacting it's laws in this case?

Edited by Salerno
  • Like 2

Rounding up conscripts for another country's deranged war when you don't have to is a bad look.

You know that. You're pretending to be this level of obtuse so as to appear to be standing on some principle that exists solely in your head.

Just now, LaosLover said:

Rounding up conscripts for another country's deranged war when you don't have to is a bad look.

What has that got to do with this case?

1 minute ago, LaosLover said:

You know that. You're pretending to be this level of obtuse so as to appear to be standing on some principle that exists solely in your head.

If you say so.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

And what's in it for Thailand to fill up their jails and get a lot of bad press and pressure over it? I anticipate a swift kick into the long grass on this one.

As to the unbearably petty types demanding the certain death of harmless beach goers, if I find myself on the barstool next to you, I'll be briskly and theatrically changing my seat.  

How are these people not refugees? They face certain oblivion back home and have done no wrong.

Many of them are refugees but getting actual refugee legal status will be difficult everywhere for them and impossible in Thailand. Heck Thailand isn't even accepting Ukrainian refugees. I'm not saying they are a monolith though. Each person has their particular story and many of them will be lying about it.

21 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

While I support these Russians for not wanting to take part in their dictator's aggression, draft dodging doesn't meet the standard for refugee status. There' no political oppression.

• Like 2

I'm not saying that they are refugees under the standard definition or are entitled to refugee standing and rights. And Thailand already has its refugee hands full with Myanmar people.

But if someone fleeing gang violence in Honduras is broadly considered to be a refugee of a sort, then someone who is going to be sent to the front with no gun and a pair of flip flops is also deserving of sympathy.

Thailand's (so far) tacit acceptance of these people works for me.

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I'm not saying that they are refugees under the standard definition or are entitled to refugee standing and rights. And Thailand already has its refugee hands full with Myanmar people.

But if someone fleeing gang violence in Honduras is broadly considered to be a refugee of a sort, then someone who is going to be sent to the front with no gun and a pair of flip flops is also deserving of sympathy.

More of those refugees come from Guatemala than Honduras and there are definitely issues there which would qualify them for refugee status.

Link posted previously in another thread.

Edited by ozimoron

3 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Ozmoron, you need a more pedantic, detail-oriented kinda guy to debate who is and isn't a real refugee.

The above is what I think is right and long may it last.

4 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Depends how many of these draft dodgers come begging on the streets

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I hope Putin passes laws that make it illegal for all fighting age men to be outside Russia.  Then Thai immigration can collect them all and send them back to the front.  Rawai is already unliveable due to their arrival.

Move to Patong????

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Some are wealthy and can afford Elite visas,  

some are Putin supporters but afraid to die, some were  antiwar before the mobilization. 

War is messy.

I've talked to about a dozen Russians about this in various pot bars. I'll bet many people here would begrudge these people a spliff in their stressed lives.

All are on the Elite Visa. It's like the American Civil War where you could buy your way out. If they love Putin and now suddenly are hedging their bets, I can live with that too.

I make no judgement since I'd be doing the exact same thing in their shoes. As would the Daily Mail types here. Their insular hypocracy cracks me up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Ozmoron, you need a more pedantic, detail-oriented kinda guy to debate who is and isn't a real refugee.

The above is what I think is right and long may it last.

What you believe and international law aren't necessarily the same thing. A person has to prove oppression from the government to claim refugee status.

Try quoting me next time instead of yourself.

I agree with you 100%. They're not real refugees. I like you as a poster and I respect your point of view

I am quoting myself because that's my opinion: I am happy that Thailand seems to be looking the other way on this. And I hope it lasts.

That's down to my own temperament, not any political definitions. 

Shorter version: They have no right to be here. But I am glad that they are.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I agree with you 100%. They're not real refugees. I like you as a poster and I respect your point of view

I am quoting myself because that's my opinion: I am happy that Thailand seems to be looking the other way on this. And I hope it lasts.

That's down to my own temperament, not any political definitions. 

Shorter version: They have no right to be here. But I am glad that they are.

Some are a type of unofficial refugees. I think a few countries are accepting asylum applications from Russians subject to screening of course. Thailand obviously not.

Sure many are here with money and probably from hiso families its putins war most support him but dont want to fight dosent mean they are against the war.

Thailand and other countries let them in but thailand also let charter flights direct and the are returning almost empty so has more skin in the game.

If russians are stranded thailand have to manage but i cant see alot of sympathy they are not europeans and dont see themselves as that,

lets remember Ukrainians need help they are fighting for their lives russia can stop anytime

• Thumbs Up 2

We're at a once in a millennium crossroads where the fate of Russia and the west will be dramatically decided. 

People on this forum likely have a very unique opportunity to engage with ordinary Russian people about it.

Their response:

"Not 'avin' it. What about me all day breakfast fry-up?"