Changing from a Retirement Non-O Visa to a Non-B Work Visa

Yesterday in the Chiang Rai Immigration office we were told that it is not possible to change a current Non-O Retirement Visa to a Non-B Work Visa.  We were told that the person would have to leave the country and apply at a Thai embassy or consular office.  Has anyone ever done this in Thailand at an immigration office?  I know of people who have done the reverse getting a Non-O when they retire from their existing Non-B.  If it can be done in country someone please send direct me to the documentation that states this so it can be shown the officials here in Chiang Rai.

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot change visa types without leaving the country.

You can change the reason for your extension of stay from retirement to working.

Neither Phitsanulok (the extension issuer) or Phetchabun (new local office) Immigration would allow me to change from a retirement extension (non-O) to a working extension, both said I needed to leave country to obtain a B-Visa.

Changing from working to retirement was easy, normal submission papers for retirement plus a letter stating why I wanted to remain in Thailand plus confirmation of WP cancellation from local WP office.