Kodi Trojan Warning

stubuzz

No but I have not recently used any add-ons from that repo although they should have been updated.

Thanks for the warning.

I doubt it is connected but.......I did read something the other day about MSN patches this month due to malware getting into a Python something or other - I only noticed as remembered Python as  one of the dependencies used by Kodi.

• 3 weeks later...

There is a Kodi addon called SafeKodi that has the ability to scan installed addons for malicious content, viruses, and ads.

If SafeKodi finds an unsafe addon it will look like this:

unsafe addon

SafeKodi was formed by a group of researchers at Northwestern University and Brave Inc.

The project aims to inform Kodi users about addons that contain potentially malicious content.

This can be a virus, malware of some sort, or unwanted ads.

Click here to see a tutorial that will show you How To Install SafeKodi on any Kodi device you prefer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/7/2023 at 12:55 PM, stubuzz said:

Anybody else getting this?

Yes now getting it from The Crew Wizard. Only found out as have had major issues and deleted and reinstalled my complete Kodi install on the laptop several times in the last week and just tried to reload that specific add on.

On 1/29/2023 at 3:21 PM, Jai Dee said:

There is a Kodi addon called SafeKodi that has the ability to scan installed addons for malicious content, viruses, and ads.

That would be very useful to use but I am wondering if you have it working on 19 or 20 by any chance?

I cannot get it to install as says the dependency on XBMC.Python 2.14.0 could not be satisfied..........

Have emailed them but no reply yet.

16 hours ago, topt said:

That would be very useful to use but I am wondering if you have it working on 19 or 20 by any chance?

I have only recently installed 20.0 and have only tested 1 addon with it so far.

I know that The Crew worked fine with 19 Matrix but I don't know if it's been verified as compatible with 20 yet.

Are you using the repository from github?   https://team-crew.github.io

12 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

I have only recently installed 20.0 and have only tested 1 addon with it so far.

I know that The Crew worked fine with 19 Matrix but I don't know if it's been verified as compatible with 20 yet.

Are you using the repository from github?   https://team-crew.github.io

The Crew add on works (worked as I am back on 19.?) but I added the Crew Wizard from the same repository for maintenance only and even in 19 that fails with Defender removing something.

Was hoping you had tried Safekodi so I could ascertain if a problem only with my install or a wider problem.

48 minutes ago, topt said:

Was hoping you had tried Safekodi so I could ascertain if a problem only with my install or a wider problem.

I will do a fresh install of Kodi Matrix 19.1, then SafeKodi, then The Crew.

My hardware platform is Win10.

I use Windows Security only.

I will let you know the results.

• Thanks 1

OK... just did a fresh install of Kodi 19.1.

I was unable to install the SafeKodi addon from the repo script.safekodi-1.0.3.zip because "A dependency on Python 2.14 could not be satisfied".

I proceeded to add The Crew Repo and installed The Crew video addon but it doesn't work... I get an error message.

I then proceeded to try to install The Crew Wizard program addon but it doesn't work either... I get an error message.

I then proceeded to add The WareHouse Repo and installed The Promise video addon... it works fine.

It appears that there is a problem with The Crew Repo version 0.3.4.

2 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

OK... just did a fresh install of Kodi 19.1.

I was unable to install the SafeKodi addon from the repo script.safekodi-1.0.3.zip because "A dependency on Python 2.14 could not be satisfied".

I proceeded to add The Crew Repo and installed The Crew video addon but it doesn't work... I get an error message.

I then proceeded to try to install The Crew Wizard program addon but it doesn't work either... I get an error message.

I then proceeded to add The WareHouse Repo and installed The Promise video addon... it works fine.

It appears that there is a problem with The Crew Rep 0.3.4.

Well thanks for confirming that the SafeKodi add-on does not seem to work on 19 plus....I also tried it from directly downloading the zip but same issue.

By the way it took me a couple of attempts to install The Crew last weekend but as mentioned it is working - just started it up on a series I was watching and cross fingers no issue. I also use Homelander (more than The Crew) from the same repo and that has been working fine.

Crew Wizard same as you but did you see the warnings as per the OP as that was what I got when I tried to install from the Crew repo from Defender - but the notification was fleeting.?

I also have The Promise and my set up is similar to you but using Kodi 19.4

Thanks for taking the time to test it.

Edited by topt
addition of direct zip

8 minutes ago, topt said:

Crew Wizard same as you but did you see the warnings as per the OP as that was what I got when I tried to install from the Crew repo from Defender - but the notification was fleeting.?

No Defender warnings... only Kodi error messages.

9 minutes ago, topt said:

Thanks for taking the time to test it.

You're welcome.

I intend to play around a bit more with Nexus - Kodi 20.0.

I do know that the Aussie IPTV addon works well, as I tried it out both with and without a VPN for another forum member with good results.

I haven't really tried any other addons with it yet.

I usually test new stuff on my Win10 platform first before deciding on a certain configuration which I then install on my Android box for every night entertainment.

I currently have 6 different builds/configurations of Kodi running on my PC and it is interesting (for me) to compare response times/results for scrapers to yield sources etc. for different addons.

Just out of curiosity, what maintenance aspects of The Crew Wizard made it useful for you?

51 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

No Defender warnings... only Kodi error messages.

You're welcome.

I intend to play around a bit more with Nexus - Kodi 20.0.

I do know that the Aussie IPTV addon works well, as I tried it out both with and without a VPN for another forum member with good results.

I haven't really tried any other addons with it yet.

I usually test new stuff on my Win10 platform first before deciding on a certain configuration which I then install on my Android box for every night entertainment.

I currently have 6 different builds/configurations of Kodi running on my PC and it is interesting (for me) to compare response times/results for scrapers to yield sources etc. for different addons.

Just out of curiosity, what maintenance aspects of The Crew Wizard made it useful for you?

Only that it had seemingly a few more variables to change then others for cleaning that I have tried plus the xml settings GUI was nice and easy. Probably very little difference to most and was one of the first I tried. Now using EZ. Tried Open Wizard but had some issues but may give that another go.

Read a lot of positive stuff online about Fusion TVaddons but seems to not be available any more along with Ares Wizard.

I envy you the dedication with that many builds. I haven't changed the stuff on my Android box for a while as the gf monopolises the TV............

Cheers :thumbsup: 

17 hours ago, topt said:

Read a lot of positive stuff online about Fusion TVaddons but seems to not be available any more along with Ares Wizard.

I used to use the Ares Wizard myself for many years, until the big shakedown happened and the tvaddons.ag site was taken over by the anti-piracy group and the Ares Repo disappeared.

I'd be very wary of anything coming from tvaddons.ag as they would be actively looking for anything that uses file sharing tech. :ph34r:

I have heard that the Indigo addon is a good alternative to Ares... also Looking Glass Wizard gets a lot of positive reviews.

Apparently the Indigo add-on hosts various categories like Config Wizard, Addon Installer, Maintenance Tools, Rejuvenate Kodi, Factory Restore, Log Uploader, Network Speed Test, Sports Listings, Backup/Restore, Log Viewer, and No-Coin scan (I have no idea what that means...).

Maybe give that a try? :cool:

/Edit: I just discovered that the source for the Indigo repo is http://fusion.tvaddons.co so for that reason alone I would not recommend installing it as it may interfere with your other addons.

And the source for the Looking Glass repo http://repo.lookingglass.rocks/ won't connect so that has probably been taken down too. 

Edited by Jai Dee
  • Thanks 1

If you are looking for an addon that you can use for Kodi maintenance purposes the EZ Maintenance+ addon does work (I did test it with Kodi Matrix 19.1) to maintain your Kodi.

Over time Kodi will run more slowly affecting your user experience because of redundant files from caching, packages, and thumbnails. Those files consume a lot of storage space.

EZ Maintenance+ removes the redundant files, and by freeing this space, it improves the performance of Kodi.

The repo source is https://peno64.github.io/repository.peno64

Once you have added the source, and installed the repo from the zipfile, you can then install the program addon from the repo.

This addon has other purposes besides maintenance like backup and restores, log viewer and uploader, buffer size optimization and speed test. However, let's focus on the maintenance functionality.

To get to the maintenance menu, you need to click on the addon, and in its main menu click Maintenance. There you see the following options:

Clear Cache

The cache is used to store files, so Kodi won’t need to download the same files over and over again. However, over time more and more files are stored in Kodi’s cache.  A full cache is one of the most common reasons for slow performance with Kodi. Choosing this option cleans the entire cache and improves the performance of your Kodi.

Clear Packages

When installing an add-on, Kodi first downloads a ZIP file containing the addon’s files in a compressed format. Over time those  ZIP files may consume a large percentage of your storage. Choosing this option removes all those redundant files. You can always download them again if you ever need them.

Clear Thumbnails

Thumbnails are part of every addon, but an addon may contain redundant thumbnails. Choosing this option deletes all the thumbnails of the addons and forces downloading the ones which are needed. This way, you can save a lot of storage.

Settings

In the main menu of the addon, click Settings, then click AutoClean at Startup to enable it. By doing so, the addon will clean the cache, packages and thumbnails every time you start your Kodi. You can also configure the limit for packages and thumbnails folders.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you are looking for an addon that you can use for Kodi maintenance purposes the EZ Maintenance+ addon does work

Thanks that is what I am currently using - 

20 hours ago, topt said:

Now using EZ. Tried Open Wizard............

Hi, very interesting reading your comments re Kodi. I have just upgraded to 20.0 without any problems at all.

I only use the Fen and Seren add-ons , mostly Fen. I have an All Debrid account, I used to use Real Debrid, but I had a problem making a payment one time so changed to All Debrid, works just as well, and no need for a VPN. I also have a Trakt account which I find very useful.

I was wondering if it was really worth having these maintenance accounts as you can clear cache etc. in the Tools in both Fen and Seren.

Anyway nothing more to say, just interesting reading some knowledgeable comments concerning Kodi.

21 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I was wondering if it was really worth having these maintenance accounts as you can clear cache etc. in the Tools in both Fen and Seren.

Probably not if you are using a PC/Windows based platform, but if you are running Kodi on an Android box you need to do it regularly otherwise it will slow down.

For an Android box you can either 1) step through the settings menu until you find the cache memory and clear it yourself, or 2) install the EZ Maintenance+ addon and Kodi will perform the maintenance automatically every time it starts, or 3) use the tools in the addons you mentioned.

Options 1 and 3 involve regular manual intervention, option 2 is automatic.

I know which one I'd prefer to do... :cool:

21 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I only use the Fen and Seren add-ons

I thought that Fen had been discontinued a few years ago but it seems to have been resurrected.

I must give it a (re)try.

Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

I thought that Fen had been discontinued a few years ago but it seems to have been resurrected.

Yes Fen is back and is working well. But he keeps updating it, I think he is well into version 30 already, I wish he would leave it alone, but it's obviously his hobby.

I know I could turn off automatic updates, but then I may miss something good.

I am using a Windows 10 platform on an old Acer laptop that I bought my son about 10 years ago. I have taken the old HDD out and replaced it with an SSD and added some extra memory, works perfectly.

Just Checked Fen, it is now on version 3.0.41

Edited by elfpattaya
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

Just Checked Fen, it is now on version 3.0.41

I just installed it to try out... it's now on version 3.0.42... :cool:

On 2/9/2023 at 7:42 PM, elfpattaya said:

I have an All Debrid account, I used to use Real Debrid, but I had a problem making a payment one time so changed to All Debrid, works just as well, and no need for a VPN. I also have a Trakt account which I find very useful.

And if you want the pretty pictures and data that go with the media titles you need to have a TMDb account, a Fanart.tv account, an IMDb account too.

Other provider accounts are Premiumize, Furk, and Easynews, so it's a well optioned addon for those who opt to pay for premium content. 

But getting back to the main subject of this topic which is about checking for potential viruses with your Kodi addons, I just ran the repository location of the Fen addon through the VirusTotal website with the following results:

image.png.2d952ac676bd543e08fee7b234674f2f.png

It may not give you 100% protection against malicious software but it's better than nothing.

Even Kodi alerts us during setup that these 3rd party addons will be given access to personal data stored on our device, so it pays to run a check on them before you install them.

Good news that Fen is clean, I find it a very good add on, probably the best for my usage. Seren is also good, but you must have a Trakt account for that add on to work, and of course Trakt went down for about a week a while back, which is why I went looking for alternatives.and found Fen working again.

Fen also works with an IMDb account, which is good.

I know that it is not necessary to have a Debrid account, as there are torrents and now lots of sites where you can watch movies for free. But I find the convenience and the quality obtained from the Debrid sites worth the 100 Baht a month that it costs, for now, but that may change always looking for alternatives.

I am also looking for a good add on, that uses free IPTV for mostly UK sports. I have tried a few but they have generally been unsatisfactory. i am at the moment using a paid IPTV service which costs 10 US Dollars a month, this works very well, so maybe my standards are a little high when looking for something for nothing.

I have been using Kodi since the old Fusion days and thankfully I have never had any virus problems, but I do limit the add on's I use, I have used Crew in the past, so maybe I dodged a bullet there.

Edited by elfpattaya