Monks Curse Drafters

Kido

Monks curse drafters

Supporters of the proposed constitutional clause recognising Buddhism as the state religion have quit rallying and their hunger strike but will discuss future action against the constitution draft later.

Didn't the monks have time to involved in politic rather spending time in teaching Buddhist to lay person to be good?

Edited by Kido

I think it's anti-Buddhist to want Buddhism as the official religion.

Interesting point. Would this make Bhutan, the world's only Tibetan Buddhist country, un-Buddhist?

Should they be forced to become multi-religious?

My gut feeling says 'no' but I definitely think using force or negative influence to get your will is not a positive action.

But then again, I would most strongly resist the introduction of Sharia law in Europe, for example. But I certainly would not curse anyone or use violence. Still, I would resist and believe it to be a good action.

It's not so easy sometimes, eh?

I believe in freedom of religion within limits (a religion who's basic precept is the extermination of non-white people , white people , short people ... you get the drift) and separation of church and state.

Any group which disagrees strongly with either of these two opinions is to be resisted.

Edited by farangsay

Bhutan is a police state that restricts freedom in many ways, as does Myanmar.

Both of these places use Buddhism as a tool of government control to ensure their power base, very un-Buddhist indeed. IMO Thailand seems to be on its way to becoming a police state as well. Official religions and personal freedom are on separate ends of the political spectrum. Today, Thailand has the best record on freedom of religion in Asia. Why would you want to take that away?

Enforcing Buddhism by the government standard is removing choice and free will. It gives approval to the attachment of an identity instead of encouraging disassociation to worldly desires. To enforce Buddhism is a show of insecurity and desire for control. A Buddhist should not be concerned with nationalism and the workings of government. Therefore Jimjim is right it is anti-Buddhist.

Anyhow the thread is about cursing monks, which I find to be a massive paradox.

No one has ventured an answer on that.

Well, to be fair, we don't know exactlly what they are chanting, as there is no chanting for cursing in buddhist..

But, to say that "not allow them to enter monasteries or conduct any religious ceremonies for them "even when they are dead" because they were people of no religion.", this is really shocking !!

Who is this Phra Maha Boontueng Chutintharo? Did he really say that ??

Can anyone living in Thailand explain about him, is he a real monk or what ?

How come he could say such things??? Sounds like a you-know-what religions.. not buddhist words at all !