Help buying a small generator.

sirineou

We purchased a Rai of property about 5 minutes from our house, Not sure what we will do with it.

We will play with it (plant fruit trees, small vegetable patch. There is water  available, but we might dig a well.

There is no electric yet, even though it is located in a main road.

Funny enough, the lectric comes to about 1/4 of a km from the property and starts again about the same distance from it. 

Both lines seem to come from different directions

I know they are going to extend the electrical lines, to reach our property soon, and when it does the value of the property will increase, and I might sell it at that time for a profit. Or if we like it there, sell our current home, and build there. 

I tell you all that so you might have a clear picture of the situation. If you want to skip this lomg explanation, my question is all the way at the end. 

As a stop gap solution , I need a small generator. I dont want tp spend a lot because as I said, we should have electric power there soon.

In the mean time, I want to do some work there, Build a small shed, to keep some tools there,  a bathroom for the ladies, 

And a Sala to hung out in while there. 

And as such I need to be able to run a few power tools and a small ark welder. and a pump in case we dig a well. 

I was thinking of spending 6,000-10,000 ฿

How strong a generator would I need for such a task?

A little more than I was thinking of spending, but seems to pack enough power for the small amount more.

What do you think? is Nash a good brand? do you see another that you think is better for similar cost?

14 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I knew I could depend on you Crossy. ????

That's identical to our KwaiThong unit which happily runs our inverter welder.

The welder says Imax is 27A but I doubt it ever really goes over 20A. It certainly has never opened the 20A breakers on our outlet circuits but we rarely run it over about 80A weld-current.

It's also less than the 18k we paid in 2011 (but that was a flood-enhanced price).

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Crossy said:

That's identical to our KwaiThong unit which happily runs our inverter welder.

The welder says Imax is 27A but I doubt it ever really goes over 20A. It certainly has never opened the 20A breakers on our outlet circuits but we rarely run it over about 80A weld-current.

It's also less than the 18k we paid in 2011 (but that was a flood-enhanced price).

80A is where I run it also , anything more and I blow holes in the material. 

Thank you Crossy!!  ????

6 minutes ago, sirineou said:

80A is where I run it also , anything more and I blow holes in the material. 

Welcome to the Bird-s**t Welding Club! (Do we need a separate forum?)

The angle-grinder and paint hides a multitude of sins :whistling:

I learnt to weld as an apprentice xx years ago, trust me, it is NOT like riding a bike! I just don't have the fine motor-control needed to maintain the arc. So, it's Thai style splat and wriggle.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Welcome to the Bird-s**t Welding Club! (Do we need a separate forum?)

The angle-grinder and paint hides a multitude of sins :whistling:

I learnt to weld as an apprentice xx years ago, trust me, it is NOT like riding a bike! I just don't have the fine motor-control needed to maintain the arc. So, it's Thai style splat and wriggle.

Yea I hear you.

When I was in Uni , more years ago than I am willing to admit,. In Lab I was the go to guy for welding. But they had to notch equipment. Oxyacetylene, Mig, TIG etc, I even learned to weld aluminum (2024), Which IMO is some of the toughest material to work with because it does not form a puddle, Instead it sweats, and when it does you better get moving or it collapses on you, and you blow a hole. 

Anyway,  forward many years later, I got here with  metal and welding  used so much I decided. "Hey I can do that 

I thought it would be a breeze, and I would show them all with my superior technique . LOL

Much to my embarrassment , like you my hand shaked, I could not see my bead, my electrode stuck to the material, my bead was and is scabby , and I was either doing cold welds or was blowing holes. 

I have gotten a bit better but only because I no longer try to lay down a bead, but I  do a series of tack welds.

As you said, a grinder and plenty of paint hides a myriad of sins ????

I just made a gate, and when I was done I used caulking in the joins (after my weld ofcourse) , smoothed with my finger and then painted, and I must say. It looks damn good.  

"Fake it until you make it"  LOL

Edited by sirineou
typo

I am not familiar with the generator brand names available for sale in Thailand. 

Is Nash a Good brand? Would a Kanto be better? any other brand name suggestions ?

I saw this  Kando, available for sale in Lazada.

image.png.f355288795fff0c625aaa0510cc62b08.png

Is it a good Idea to order such item from Lazada? What if there is something wrong with it?

Thank you all for your support.????

Sorry if my questions sound stupid. If I was in the US I would know all about the brands and service policies, Here in Thailand I am a lost puppy when it comes to Generators. 

Edited by sirineou

These are all low-cost Chinese units and essentially identical. They are powered by Chinese knock-off "Chonda" (copy Honda) engines.

Ours has been perfectly reliable and starts every time (converted to full auto) and has only needed the carb cleaning out and a fuel tap (it came off in my hand, honest), replacement cost peanuts from the local farm shop.

Other known brands such as Hyundai etc. are available but at more "premium" pricing.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

These are all low-cost Chinese units and essentially identical. They are powered by Chinese knock-off "Chonda" (copy Honda) engines.

Ours has been perfectly reliable and starts every time (converted to full auto) and has only needed the carb cleaning out and a fuel tap (it came off in my hand, honest), replacement cost peanuts from the local farm shop.

Other known brands such as Hyundai etc. are available but at more "premium" pricing.

Thanks Crossy, For the price of the Hyundai I can buy two of those and if one fails, I can fire up the other.LOL

Seriously, I would be a very light user, If I use it once a month , it would be too much, so no need for a heavy duty unit.

Glad you had good service from yours. I think I will give it a try.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Follow up:

Still have not bought one, (have not really needed it yet) but should be buying one soon , as I am getting ready to start doing some work where I dont have access to electric. 

The reason I an writing this follow up is that I noticed that many of the generator brands are made by the same producer and  others simply put their brand name on them.

for instance , the two below are identical in every way,  except the brand name and paint job. Yet have a price difference of about 1,000 baht. 

image.png.cee12030460cf757805442321820783f.png

• Like 1

From personal experience gas generators for permanent use are a non starter.  For welding the ones that work are very big and heavy.  For well pumping they are very, very, very thirsty.  I know, I tried it.  They are no fun to load up and take home for the night either.   For the well, go solar.  The pump, panels and controller cost us about 25K THB.  For general small tools use I bought a Polo inverter generator and it works a treat even with tools that have a big start up draw like metal cutoff saws.  Can even perform 2 or 3 spot welds b4 the breaker flips.  Less than 20kg.  About 13,500 THB from Lazada.  Polo is a consumer friendly company, btw.  For welding we rent from a farmer who has a small rig on a small trailer.

POLO เครื่องปั่นไฟอินเวอร์เตอร์ ขนาด 2.0KW รุ่น P2250iS POLO Inverter Generator

• Like 1