Drilling Water Well

UWEB

On one of my farms in Phang Nga I drilled the bore myself.

I designed and fabricated the drill rig myself also.  There is lots of information on older websites when charities were all about providing fresh water to villages in Africa.

Thai neighbor on the block next door paid Thai contractor 125K to drill.  He now borrows water from my bore because his went dry 3 months after it was drilled.

Random advice:

1. What substrata are you dealing with.  If it is hardrock then 100K+ is cheap

2. What diameter bore will you be drilling

3. Make sure the bore is properly cased.  With the end of the case sealed and a rat hole below the pump head.

4. Make sure the slots in the casing are cut evenly and correctly.  Not just somchai puting  few cuts in with a 1mm blade in his 4 inch angle grinder.

5. Make sure a barrier of pea gravel is placed around the casing.  If you are using 4 inch casing then you should be drilling a 6 inch hole and then back filling with pea gravel.  You want gravel literally the size of a pea and round.  Do not use building or road gravel and do not use metal dust as it locks together and does not provide a reliable filter.

Reasons why my bore is very successful and neighbors failed was because Thai contractors did not do steps 4 and 5 above.  They just hacked a few slots in the 4 inches casing with an angle grinder and did not backfill with any gravel.

PM me if you want further tips.  Or photos of my drill rig.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Like 1

Sam Roi Yod can be a very difficult area to locate a good source for a well that provides enough potable water for a home throughout the year and for years. I don't know about finding someone to dowse your property in Thailand but some people swear by dowsing to find places for wells.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, unheard said:

Sure, but then there's no such a thing as "normal price"...

Normal price is what I have heard throughout the last 10 years, backed by many replies in here. Pvc pipes, one safety, cable, cheapest pump, electric cable plug andbplay. Not normal is granit formation, or other hard geology formation.

As I also pointed out. God sake man

I don't think you can 'buy your way out of this.' If the 150,000 fee is only payable if they hit water then you lose nothing by having them drill. However 150,000 is a lot of money and there might be a temptation to claim the money if they hit a sewer pipe....although most Thais would resist such a temptation.

29 minutes ago, d4dang said:

Sam Roi Yod can be a very difficult area to locate a good source for a well that provides enough potable water for a home throughout the year and for years. I don't know about finding someone to dowse your property in Thailand but some people swear by dowsing to find places for wells.

Worthless witchcraft will not help him.

All bores over 12m deep have to be registered with the Amphur (but not all are).  Just go to the Ampur and ask to see their map and you will get a rough idea what you are up against in terms of required depth by reviewing the bores surrounding your property.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Normal price is what I have heard throughout the last 10 years, backed by many replies in here. Pvc pipes, one safety, cable, cheapest pump, electric cable plug andbplay. Not normal is granit formation, or other hard geology formation.

????

Soft, rock free geological formations are normal for your area, but not for the multiple others.

Why to even call those prices normal?

The OP is unsure about pricing.

Why to create an unnecessary confusion for him by calling things "normal"?

There are no "normalized" water well prices for the whole of Thailand.

The fixed pump and pipe prices are not relevant to the cost of the bore drilling process.

Edited by unheard

11 minutes ago, unheard said:

????

Soft, rock free geological formations are normal for your area, but not for the multiple others.

Why to even call those prices normal?

The OP is unsure about pricing.

Why to create an unnecessary confusion for him by calling things "normal"?

There are no "normalized" water well prices for the whole of Thailand.

The fixed pump and pipe prices are not relevant to the cost of the bore drilling process.

Please, just breathe, enough

• 1 month later...

So back to start again. After I have found finally a Company to drill the well, the Permit was arranged. But yesterday the Company has informed me that they will not do the Job. Great, just have wasted six weeks of time while waiting for the Permit and the " broken Compressor" to be repaired.. If somebody knows a good Company in Prachuap Khiri Khan Area just let me know.

On 1/10/2023 at 12:30 PM, UWEB said:

Sam Roi Yot/Prachuap Khiri Khan. A lot of Mountains here but the Underground is Sand and other places hard like Granite. One of the Wells we did was just 8 meter deep, no forward coming at all.

Sounds like the only way to get to water in your particular place is by utilizing  percussion air hammers driven by a powerful air compressor. Those things are not cheap.

I think you need to expand your search to the nearby bigger cities.

Also get prepared to pay north of 200K to the company that is properly equipped for your local geology.

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2023 at 10:36 AM, Adumbration said:

On one of my farms in Phang Nga I drilled the bore myself.

I designed and fabricated the drill rig myself also.  There is lots of information on older websites when charities were all about providing fresh water to villages in Africa.

Thai neighbor on the block next door paid Thai contractor 125K to drill.  He now borrows water from my bore because his went dry 3 months after it was drilled.

Random advice:

1. What substrata are you dealing with.  If it is hardrock then 100K+ is cheap

2. What diameter bore will you be drilling

3. Make sure the bore is properly cased.  With the end of the case sealed and a rat hole below the pump head.

4. Make sure the slots in the casing are cut evenly and correctly.  Not just somchai puting  few cuts in with a 1mm blade in his 4 inch angle grinder.

5. Make sure a barrier of pea gravel is placed around the casing.  If you are using 4 inch casing then you should be drilling a 6 inch hole and then back filling with pea gravel.  You want gravel literally the size of a pea and round.  Do not use building or road gravel and do not use metal dust as it locks together and does not provide a reliable filter.

Reasons why my bore is very successful and neighbors failed was because Thai contractors did not do steps 4 and 5 above.  They just hacked a few slots in the 4 inches casing with an angle grinder and did not backfill with any gravel.

PM me if you want further tips.  Or photos of my drill rig.

Im interested, i have PM you.

Pink