Satellite Reciever Broken

Hi All.

My satellite reciever had gone and will cost too much to repair but I have been informed that if I were to buy a recordable DVD player (which I need anyway) with a built in tuner this will also act as a satellite reciever.

Is this true as I anm not too clued up on the latest technology.

Thanks slippery

I am not even sure I understand the question..

Are you asking if a DVD player will act as a stand in UBC sat decoder.. If so then no !!! And I am boggled that you would think it would, for example where would you put the access card ??

If you have cable then an internal tuner (as found on the TV or a recording device) can decode the broadcast frequency channels.

Basically when I went into the hi-fi shop in the uk to purchase a replacement satellite reciever the shop said that if I were to buy a recordable dvd player with a built in tuner then it could be used as a sat reciever.

I doubt this very much but thought tit advisable to seek your advice.

I don't need a decoder card facility as the only channel I want is 1 free channel (thai tv from the uk).

I hope that this explains things a little.

Thanks....slippery

Dear Slippery,

How are you?

I have a DVD recorder and a DVD player, satelite and a UBC box (and a TV!). The DVD player just plays DVDs (through the TV), and my DVD recorder is tuned to the UBC box so that I could record from UBC - wouldn't do it for copyright reasons obviously :o It also plays through the TV.

I don't think you can do what the shop is suggesting as I suspect the tuner in the DVD recorder is a different type to the type that can tune say to your UK Thai TV. But I don't know.

I would be interested in an informed answer as well.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Billzant

Basically when I went into the hi-fi shop in the uk to purchase a replacement satellite reciever the shop said that if I were to buy a recordable dvd player with a built in tuner then it could be used as a sat reciever.

I doubt this very much but thought tit advisable to seek your advice.

I don't need a decoder card facility as the only channel I want is 1 free channel (thai tv from the uk).

I hope that this explains things a little.

Thanks....slippery

What do you want the sat receiver for? If you want it to receive Thai television get a second hand Sky digital receiver and tune that in. There were plenty alailable on second hand market stalls for a few pounds last time I was in the UK.

Did you know there are two channels in Thai broadcasting free from Hotbird satellite (DMC TV on 10949(v) and Thai Global Network on 12207(H))?

I'd also doubt (as already pointed out) a DVD recorder would be able to supply the power to the LNB and also agree old Sky decoders are plentiful secondhand.

You can pick up Satellite Receivers in electronics shops. (i.e. Maplin still has them - although the shops wouldn't have all the choice that they have on their web page )

The Beta one at £40 would be all you need for the Thai channels, assuming your dish and LNB are OK, and pointing in the right place.