Changing from non-immigrant B to non-immigrant O

To cut a long story short, I am currently here on a non B based on my job. However, I turned 50 recently and, for various reasons, I want to change to a non O. My current employment contract expires at the end of this month and will not be extended so I was wondering: 

1) once my current employer cancels my current non B visa in early February, do I have to leave Thailand and return on a different / tourist visa and then apply for a non o?

2) can I apply for non o before the current visa is cancelled in early February? 

3) approximately how long does it take to change from non B to non O? 

4) is there anything else I should be thinking about that I have not listed above? I will use a visa service, but want to inform myself in advance first. 

Thank you for any advice you can give me. 

I did just that last December. My now-former employer canceled my WP and Non-B, and I switched to a Non-O Retirement (which was a lot simpler and more expeditious to get than a Non-O Thai spouse ou Non-O Parent of a Thai child, which would have been possible alternatives).

In short, my take on your questions is:

1. No. Immigration can process a Non-O in Thailand. 

2. No. Once canceled, you get a short while to depart the country or secure another permission to  stay. I was given 21 days.

3. Same day, possibly. In my case, the immigration office to issue my Non-O was different from the one canceling my Non-B, so it took a few days between the two.

4. Consider requesting to stay in the Thai Social Security. You have 6 months to do so.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LogicThai said:

I did just that last December. My now-former employer canceled my WP and Non-B, and I switched to a Non-O Retirement (which was a lot simpler and more expeditious to get than a Non-O Thai spouse ou Non-O Parent of a Thai child, which would have been possible alternatives).

In short, my take on your questions is:

1. No. Immigration can process a Non-O in Thailand. 

2. No. Once canceled, you get a short while to depart the country or secure another permission to  stay. I was given 21 days.

3. Same day, possibly. In my case, the immigration office to issue my Non-O was different from the one canceling my Non-B, so it took a few days between the two.

4. Consider requesting to stay in the Thai Social Security. You have 6 months to do so.

Thanks LogicThai! I have nightmares that it is going to be very stressful, but knowing that it is easier than I imagine it to be is a relief. Much appreciate the reply. 

43 minutes ago, djayz said:

I have nightmares that it is going to be very stressful, but knowing that it is easier than I imagine it to be is a relief. 

I was a bit apprehensive too, but it went very smoothly. And n need for an agent either. I only had to produce my passport and the bank letter/statements/book bank, plus my wife's ID and Tabien Ban. As it was a new application and not an extension, I had to pay 2,000 baht rather than 1,900 (go figure...), plus 3,900 for a multiple re-entry stamp. It was all done in less than 1 hour.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LogicThai said:

I was a bit apprehensive too, but it went very smoothly. And n need for an agent either. I only had to produce my passport and the bank letter/statements/book bank, plus my wife's ID and Tabien Ban. As it was a new application and not an extension, I had to pay 2,000 baht rather than 1,900 (go figure...), plus 3,900 for a multiple re-entry stamp. It was all done in less than 1 hour.

Applying for an O visa is 2,000 baht, an extension is 1,900 baht, nothing untoward there.

Multi re-entry permit is 3,800 baht.