Marriage Extension Visa - 400K Banked How Long in Advance?

Hi there. I have never paid any attention to it through previous years because having 400k banked has never been an issue. After a tough year and starting a new career, I am struggling a little, and don't have all of it banked. A good chunk of it, but not all of it. 

My extension permits stay in the kingdom up untill May 9th. Am I right in thinking I need to have 400k banked four months prior, in my case - January 9th?

If that's the case, I am buggered, I think. It might be another month or so untill I have squirreled away the whole 400k. 

Could anyone explain the latest date I can have 400k banked, considering my extension is valid untill May 9th? I'm pretty sure I am correct and it is indeed four months, right?

If I am correct in thinking that, I suppose there are no options and I will 'loose' the right to extend? What are the consequences of that? Going on a tourist visa or something?

Go easy on me, please! I appreciate as expats we should all ensure we have the means to stay and for 19 years it's never been a problem. COVID wiped out my online business of 12 years, however, and I have had to start a new business/career. It's going well so far but I am rebuilding, and it's taking a little longer than I expected to get back on my feet.

Truth is I am panicking about this, a little!

22 minutes ago, Batty said:

Thanks ????

As the guys pointed out it's 2 months prior and best maintained for the under consideration period.

All up you might need to "squirrel it away" (like that) for up to 3 months. 

Be aware that if you are ever in a spot, you can obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife which in some situations gives you time to get things in order (1900baht) 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MJCM said:

Spot on. You SHOULD ONLY withdraw money AFTER the Under Consideration Period (which once lasted (for us) 45 days.

Best (if Possible) keep the money in a dedicated account (FD (fixed Deposit) or a Savings Account without an ATM card, why the WITHOUT ATM Card, so you don't by accident withdraw money from the account and the balance then could fall under the 400k. (happened to many people)

That was true for me for my 2021 renewal but when I renewed in November 2022 the Immigration wanted to see activity in the account and I had to ask my bank to provide additional monthly statements which they did not want to do.

5 hours ago, MJCM said:

Spot on. You SHOULD ONLY withdraw money AFTER the Under Consideration Period (which once lasted (for us) 45 days.

My most recent under consideration lasted only 21 days (when I got my one-year stamp). That's an improvement.

How soon after the Under Consideration Period are you allowed to withdraw funds from your bank account? Immediately? Or is there another 2-month waiting period?

12 minutes ago, MAN2SIN2BKK said:

November 2022 the Immigration wanted to see activity in the account and I had to ask my bank to provide additional monthly statements which they did not want to do

Not sure what you are referring to.

Indeed some offices want to see "activity in the account".

To me thats referring to deposit/withdrawal on day of application? 

Edit: think I misunderstood your post. Do you mean that immigration wanted to see all you bank statements as some months in bank book had no activity. 

Edited by DrJack54

Just now, tubby johnson said:

My most recent under consideration lasted only 21 days (when I got my one-year stamp). That's an improvement.

How soon after the Under Consideration Period are you allowed to withdraw funds from your bank account? Immediately? Or is there another 2-month waiting period?

Immediately after receiving your stamp.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not sure what you are referring to.

Indeed some offices want to see "activity in the account".

To me thats referring to deposit/withdrawal on day of application? 

Edit: think I misunderstood your post. Do you mean that immigration wanted to see all you bank statements as some months in bank book had no activity. 

Your  second reading is correct; I needed to supply monthly bank statements for the previous year to show that the account was active. My bank was unwilling to issue most of these as I had only had 4 entries in the whole year and the account was in excess of 400K. When I was in the bank I actually called my contact at Immigration and had her talk directly to the bank to confirm. I was told that they want to see the account used even if it is only 100 - 500 baht every month. Who am I to argue when I want my visa extended, right?

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MAN2SIN2BKK said:

I was told that they want to see the account used even if it is only 100 - 500 baht every month.

I'm in same boat.

Last extension at CW (Nov last year) I was told that I need bank statements due to no activity in several months.

I use a dedicated bank account and just leave 800k + .

Has been OK all years previously.

Just when you think that you have the ****** worked out they pull a new stunt. 

I can understand consolidated transactions but no activity that's just rubbish. 

18 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Not CW. Ten+ years never an issue. Just show them your other books.

Don't know what "your other books" means. 

I also do extensions retirement money in bank method and have been asked to show activity on the day. 

First time it happened I actually had to go from io desk down to bank and make a deposit.

Others have posted doing updates of bank book (at CW) as it was asked for.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Other Bank Books?

Not CW, but I did my Extension (Retirement) yesterday and use money in the Bank (Fixed Deposit) but just in case I also took the savings account (updated yesterday) bank book with me just in case, but NOT needed.

FD account I also added some money before I went to the Bank to get the Bank Letter and the 3 month statement.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I also do extensions retirement money in bank method and have been asked to show activity on the day. 

First time it happened I actually had to go from io desk down to bank and make a deposit.

Others have posted doing updates of bank book (at CW) as it was asked for.

The other bank books with MONEE ????

Never in my ten years based on marriage not that the reason matters. Not saying you didn't - but I think that's a fish wives story in Bangkok.

What are the papers and process? Updated bank book, photocopy of said book and your reciept. CW

2 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

The other bank books with MONEE

Why do you need other bank books. 

3 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

Updated bank book, photocopy of said book and your reciept. CW

Updated bank book is activity. 

Shows balance on day of application. 

Done with this chit chat (again) 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why do you need other bank books. 

Updated bank book is activity. 

Shows balance on day of application. 

Done with this chit chat (again) 

I always bring my other books precisely to show that I have additional funds and that money is being used.

Lol, no sorry updating the book on the day doesn't show activity through the year. Rather, it's a single transaction on the day. Updating your book on the day is nothing new - common knowledge.

To follow up my experience TODAY at CW. My extension was successful. They did not even want to see my book OR the photocopies. They only took my passport - and everyone else's. No books or photocopies taken

Edited by SuperSilverHaze
remove photos as it had my bank account detail
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

To follow up my experience TODAY at CW. My extension was successful. They did not even want to see my book OR the photocopies. They only took my passport - and everyone else's. No books or photocopies taken

This is typically TiT. :whistling:

Oke it was retirement (and NOT CW) I did yesterday, but number of copies totalled 8 of my Bank Books ALONE that I had to give them

1- First Page (Name + Account Number) (old Bank Book)

2- Last 2 Pages of updated Bank Book (with money deposited early morning to show movement on that day)

3- 2 Pages of 3 month Statement (obtained at Bank)

4- 1 Page of Bank Letter with Total Amount in it.

5- First Page (Name + Account Number of New Bank Book)

6- Page with the Balance in it (New Bank Book) (only 1 entry)