Question for Parents of school children

rankric

Our son attends a mid range school providing IEP, this is a mix of english and thai teaching, a form of international program, is my understanding.

Our son is 6.

Our main point of contact is a thai teacher and she seems a little bit disorganised. 

We get a message in the line group on sunday, advising no school the next day as it is teachers day and therefore a day off for the kids.

Absolutely mortified as we were travelling over the weekend and rushed back Sunday to prepare for school the next day.

On this occassion my wife mentioned she used the words: to remind you again in her message, on sunday.  This message was sent in a line group where all parents can see the message.

Thing is, she never told anyone in the line group as we checked all history. Clearly trying to cover her own backside.

This is one of maybe 5 times she has announced stuff at really odd times, advising homework videos to be sent on the same day and sends the message at 6pm!

The school is well regarded and when i visited for a christmas performance the other teachers seemed much more enthusiastic and awake than our sons teacher.

This teacher just seems very disorganized, i notice she likes to run out of the school and speak to parents individually in a hurried state.

She has even done it with us a couple of times and yet its just information relevant to the everyone, a group type message.

Sorry and if you got this far, thanks for reading. 

Any ideas as we cannot just change schools and we do not want to outright complain but surely this type of performance is not going unnoticed by others too?

• Like 1

So the school my kid attends is an EP school. They have a program you log on to that has a message board, a calendar with school holidays listed, grades, basically every aspect of school is there.

I've spoken to others at different schools and they have the same complaint as you. 

I taught at an "IEP" school, perhaps the system as your son attends (and for obvious reasons we don't name it directly).

I was in no way qualified to teach (Associates degree only) and not qualified to work specifically as an IEP teacher. My command of the English language is far above average, so I can sleep well at night knowing I gave those kids proper lessons.

Two points:

1. Your school may not be an actual IEP accredited institution. Schools can just slap that title on any time.

2. It is always the luck of the draw. There are good teachers and there are bad teachers, regardless of diplomas.

I would suggest just sucking it up. Age 6 is very young and likely no permanent mental scarring will occur. The school year is almost up and there is a whole new teacher next year. Complaining about a Thai teacher will only hurt your situation.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

So the school my kid attends is an EP school. They have a program you log on to that has a message board, a calendar with school holidays listed, grades, basically every aspect of school is there.

I've spoken to others at different schools and they have the same complaint as you. 

We changed his school after covid as the previous school was always having construction work done and after 3 years of construction work on site and no knowledge of any other schools first hand, we changed.

The old school did a great job reporting kids progress but were always changing teachers extremely quickly.

They did do a decent job during lockdown but the construction on site for so long and the opportunity to start afresh after covid seemed like a good opportunity to change.

The reporting at this school is not documented but we see a progression and focus so its not all bad, just frustrating.

Thanks for the input.

5 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I taught at an "IEP" school, perhaps the system as your son attends (and for obvious reasons we don't name it directly).

I was in no way qualified to teach (Associates degree only) and not qualified to work specifically as an IEP teacher. My command of the English language is far above average, so I can sleep well at night knowing I gave those kids proper lessons.

Two points:

1. Your school may not be an actual IEP accredited institution. Schools can just slap that title on any time.

2. It is always the luck of the draw. There are good teachers and there are bad teachers, regardless of diplomas.

I would suggest just sucking it up. Age 6 is very young and likely no permanent mental scarring will occur. The school year is almost up and there is a whole new teacher next year. Complaining about a Thai teacher will only hurt your situation.

I agree complaining is not going to help and the term is near the end and this teacher does look like a minority. 

Appreciate the input.

• Like 1

Nothing new or unusual about this. The vast majority of 'em fall into this category, unfortunately. That 8s the public education system here. It isn't going to get better in our lifetime.