Malaria and dengue fever cases likely to increase this year in Thailand

webfact

image.png

The number of malaria and dengue fever cases is expected to be 3-4 times higher than in 2022, according to Dr. Tares Krassanairawiwong, director-general of the Disease Control Department.

Quoting the Malaria Information System, he said there were 10,174 cases last year, three times the cases in 2021 and 45,145 dengue fever cases, an increase of 4.5 times the figure in the same year.

31 people died of dengue fever and two from malaria last year, said Dr. Tares, as he predicted an increase in cases this year.

Most of the malaria cases were found in Tak, Mae Hong Son and Kanchanaburi provinces, he said, adding that 1,370 cases of chikungunya disease were found, although there were no fatalities, but the cases were double those of a year ago.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/malaria-and-dengue-fever-cases-likely-to-increase-this-year-in-thailand/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-01-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Monthly car subscription with first-class insurance, 24x7 assistance and more in one price - click here to find out more!

5 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

I got dengue last year in Bangkok. A horrible, unrelenting headache for 4 days; the only mild relief were hot showers for 15 minutes followed by 20 minute naps, and then the pain returned... for 4 days.

I had dengue a few years ago and as you say the headache was unrelenting, despite taking large doses of paracetamol, however one of the most debilitating things for me was lower backache, which was the worst of the lot IMO.

• Thanks 1

"If You didn't have dengue You haven't been in Thailand" (Collin "the Fat Irishman" 2017)

Little girl in our kindergarten turn into shadow (literally speaking) after dengue. Horrible.

When I got it I found that tastes changed completely: drinking water tasted like sewage and "101 Pipers" was quite disgusting.
Antibodies developed? Probably yes, but still I got it few times over years.

• Thanks 1

Had it 2 weeks ago here in Pattaya......woke up 4am from the sound of my teeth chattering.  Went straight to the hospital and diagnosed with Dengue.  Dr. said good thing I got there right away.  Had an IV, and a few hrs. later sent me home with a "ton" of meds.  Had the back pain, headaches, bone soreness and everything else for about a day or so but not long.  Went back 3 days later and all I still had was slight upper chest soreness but had x-rays and told I was good to go.  Not as bad as last time I had it in Korat in 2014.  Young Dr. misdiagnosed me saying I had an oncoming cold!!  And 2 days later my 2 friends carried me back into the hospital.  Had it so bad I was in there for 4.5 days!  

Edited by mushroomdave
  • Thanks 1

Had DHF about 10 years back and spent 5 days in a Pattaya hospital. Recovered fairly quickly and was able to travel to Cairo for work after about a week with no issues.

Then another bout last month, just before Christmas. No real advance warning - just a mild headache. But next morning I collapsed at home and literally couldn't even crawl back to my bed. Recovered a bit and, luckily, my wife was around and she arranged for me to be driven to the hospital. Was there for 4 days.

Still feeling the effects now, 3 weeks later, with painful wrists/fingers, neck and back. No way I could travel like previously. Maybe just age related (70ish) or the effects of a 2nd bout. Either way, not too pleasant.

• Thanks 1