Hp Pavillion A6000n

Jet Gorgon

Just traded in my Compaq for this. But when I booted it up, it says the D drive only has 10% free capacity. Should I copy all the recovery stuff to disc? Will this improve performance? It seems to be doing OK, always have several progs open when I'm working. After looking at Noodles thread, I feel like such a greenie.

Edited by Jet Gorgon

Thanks, CV. C drive is ok 205 of 225gb free. Thanks for that. I will download D. Can I delete it on the hard drive then?

No. . don't ..

It's the HP recovery partition. Notice that it's labelled "RECOVERY".

No. . don't ..

If the HP "recovery" files are properly burned to CDs / DVDs using the application provided by HP, then those disks are "bootable" and are an adequate replacement for the hard drive version. No reason at that point that the recovery folder on the hard drive cannot be deleted.

Thanks, CV. C drive is ok 205 of 225gb free. Thanks for that. I will download D. Can I delete it on the hard drive then?

No. . don't ..

Once you burn recovery disks from it it's unnecessary.

Not that HP's recovery systems ever work well or anything....

Thanks muchly, everyone...CVic, I feel like I should be saying uhoh that I bought another HP.

I was saying that everytime I bought an HP but they actually aren't bad. I've recently converted my remaining HP to Linux.

Exactly what state do these Recovery disks recover you too??

My impression is that they recover the machine to the state it was when you bought it.

ie original partitioning and all user programmes and data deleted.

This is fine if you run an internet cafe and want to clean up, but of absolutely no use to an ordinary user.

I prefer to have my data and programmes off the C: drive, then I can format and re-install the OS

without loosing my personal files and settings.

Or have I got it all wrong?

My impression is that they recover the machine to the state it was when you bought it.

Nope. That is exactly right Astral.

The only reason I took the time to make the recovery disks on my laptop was in the event I sell the laptop in the future. In which case I will "image" the machine back to "as new" to give the buyer.

I build my own OS from scratch, install the latest drivers and software, make an image backup and keep handy in case of emergency.

Edited by Rice_King

This is fine if you run an internet cafe and want to clean up, but of absolutely no use to an ordinary user.

I prefer to have my data and programmes off the C: drive, then I can format and re-install the OS

without loosing my personal files and settings.

I do the same Astral. Makes life a lot easier.