Confused over proof of address for extension, please help!

Hi all, I recently returned to Thailand after being away for a few years. I came with VOA (45 days) and on Friday I had to go to IT Square to get the 30 day extension, however I was told when I was there that I needed some kind of proof of where I was staying from my landlord or they couldn't do it. I've known my landlord for 15 years and his whole family (they live in the same small building) and last time I stayed here and this time, they have not been charging me rent so there is no contract. I have no gotten him to write one up and provide copies of the other documentation so I can at least show something when I return on Monday but due to the requirement (at least as I understand it) for me to have been registered within 24 hours of arrival, the landlord has dated out contract for Sunday, the day before I return. The snag here is that when I was there on Friday, the official told me I had to prove where I had been since arriving in Bangkok. Can anyone shed any light? I'm worried I might have to fly out now if the reject it.

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

I have no gotten him to write one up and provide copies of the other documentation so I can at least show something when I return on Monday but due to the requirement (at least as I understand it) for me to have been registered within 24 hours of arrival,

"Have no gotten him" but sounds like you have, worst case scenario I can think of is a 2k fine for not reporting you in 24hrs. you can pay that.

• Like 1

Hey Brian, thanks, and thanks to all other respondents, much appreciated. I meant "now gotten him". It was at IT Square when it happened. Perhaps it would help if I got the landlord to write a letter to take with me saying that up until now I have been staying as their guest rather than a tenant? I'm not sure it would make any difference. 

I use a scanned ID of the owners place where I rent as I don't have any kind of written contract, been using it for years without a problem, did get scolded many years ago for producing it after staying there for over two weeks......

Probably to late now but you can buy a whole book of rental agreements from many shops for a few baht, if needed just get him to fill in with a made up rent and room number. Job done. you can also download one and print it off.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 2