Talk It Up

SET index could break 1,000 points in mid 2008

Sunday 1 July 2007 03:03:50 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, July 1 (TNA) - The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) composite index may sail through the 900 point level within this year and rise above the 1,000-point level in mid-2008, if the country's general election is held as planned and a democratic government is formed, said the chairman of the Federation of Thai Capital Market Organisations.

Federation chairman Kongkiat Opaswongkarn, who is also CEO of Asia Plus Securities, said spending in Thailand remains comparatively stagnant because people are waiting to see what will happen about the general election and, he said, the economy will improve if the election is held according to the proposed timeframe and a democratically-elected government is formed.

If the election is held this year, restored confidence could help the SET index break through the 900-point level later this year and, if confidence continues to build, pass the 1,000-point level in mid-2008 as much as Bt100 billion in foreign investment is on-hold while investors study the future movement of the Thai stock market, said Mr. Kongkiat, also CEO of Asia Plus Securities.

However, he said, investors are awaiting a clearer picture of Thai politics amid of landscape of continuing uncertainty. On Friday, the SET composite index closed at 776.79, down 0.89 points from Thursday. (TNA) - E111

MCOT Public Company Limited.

A 33% rise in twelve months rise a little ambitious considering all uncertainties associated with Thai politics at the moment? SET undervalued? International stock speculators allowed to enter the arena?

Soundman.

Edited by soundman

Read this recent CNBC article about investing in the Thai market and about the Templeton Thailand Fund. Their summary view:

"In writing this column and other articles for the Asian Financial Crisis anniversary, we have spoken to many analysts, economists and market strategists. They have all said the same thing – investing in Thailand is a big risk. There are better markets to put your money in."

view:http://www.cnbc.com/id/19497864

BANGKOK, July 1 (TNA) - The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) composite index may sail through the 900 point level within this year and rise above the 1,000-point level in mid-2008, if the country's general election is held as planned and a democratic government is formed, said the chairman of the Federation of Thai Capital Market Organisations.

Federation chairman Kongkiat Opaswongkarn, who is also CEO of Asia Plus Securities, said spending in Thailand remains comparatively stagnant because people are waiting to see what will happen about the general election and, he said, the economy will improve if the election is held according to the proposed timeframe and a democratically-elected government is formed.

If the election is held this year, restored confidence could help the SET index break through the 900-point level later this year and, if confidence continues to build, pass the 1,000-point level in mid-2008 as much as Bt100 billion in foreign investment is on-hold while investors study the future movement of the Thai stock market, said Mr. Kongkiat, also CEO of Asia Plus Securities.

However, he said, investors are awaiting a clearer picture of Thai politics amid of landscape of continuing uncertainty. On Friday, the SET composite index closed at 776.79, down 0.89 points from Thursday. (TNA) - E111

There is a lot of "if", isn't it? So, it is not to look at it year to year but have to view the position as week to week, (not even month to month). This is the time to watch the political development very closely especially the bad repercussions from the "mob".

Yes, Cnbc's news on templeton is more prudent.

Edited by Maestro
Special formatting of entire post removed.

There is a lot of "if", isn't it? So, it is not to look at it year to year but have to view the position as week to week, (not even month to month). This is the time to watch the political development very closely especially the bad repercussions from the "mob".

Yes, Cnbc's news on templeton is more prudent.

Besides, I would hardly call the "expert" objective.

• 3 months later...

SET likely to surge 1,000 in post-election period, says top analyst

Wednesday 10 October 2007 04:49:30 PM (GMT+7:00)

BANGKOK, Oct 10 (TNA) – The Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET)’s composite index is expected to break through 1,000 point level in the post-election period next year if the political conditions are favourable, according to a top stock analyst.

snip

etna.mcot.net

not only are they sticking with the numbers , they are also bring the time frame forward ....................

We deal with blue chip Thai companies. By this I mean superb management with most of their activites offshore in other parts of Asia. Very, very conservative, and one of the biggest players in the region in their field. Senior managment is a good mix of Thai founders and top flight farangs who have worked elsewhere and are respected in their field.

Yet they are going gangbusters on the SET.

But compared to their say Chinese, HK or Indonesian listed counterparts, their prices are cheap. You name the metric, on most they are cheaper and better value They are more on par with Australian counterparts.

I can't speak for the rest of the SET, but for the blue chips, Thailand is indeed cheap. And if the bull run comes to an end, it will be less further to fall.

My personal view is SET up to 900 by year end - excluding the election impact. It has moved a little quicker recently than I thought towards this level tho', and not far away now.

The country still has one of the lowest p/e ratios in the region. Given earnings will pick up even further in 2008 on the back of a better political situation, that suggests upside to me. Once the election gets thru, I think there's another 20% upside at least in a few months. So I wouldn't be surprised to see it break thru 1,100 before June 2008, and could well go higher.

The main Thailand specific risks I see would be:

- if something happened with the election - looking more and more likely that all will go well, or

- how long it takes to form a government with a majority, i.e how quickly they get coalitions together,

- something happens to the health of HM, which I hope won't happen for many reasons more important than financial.

Yes there's always global external shocks too that could happen.

But I'm positioning myself for breaking thru 1,100 by mid 2008. If it doesn't happen, well I just lose a few of the excellent gains so far since the start of the millenium. Longest held Thai mutual fund I have is up about 512% over 7 years, so if I do get slapped I can't really complain. I'll still be holding longer term anyway given a part of my future at least is tied to Thailand, and I need to "keep up with the Somchais". That said 90% of Thai people who save put their money in the bank. That earns very little. Many do not save. So keeping up should be OK . Besides I'm happy to link part of my money to the country I live in

Edited by fletchthai68