Compression socks

still kicking

Yes, they do help

There are different types of compression stockings:

the cheapo airline type, usually white - only helps a little bit.

medical grade, comes in different strengths and should be fitted individually.  They are so tight, you can hardly put them on without help.

There are cheap devices to help you putting them on.

BUT:

Swollen legs are a symptom. You should see a doctor to check what is the underlying disease,  if any.  He might recommend compression socks. 

• Like 1

My $0.02 I had a really silly "minor" operation on my armpit to remove an ingrowing boil - five years ago.

A year or so later, I noticed I couldn't put my watch on my wrist and my wife commented on how swollened that hand was.

Turned out which is very common in surgery of this kind (Doctor Hannah Fry had something similar after cancer removal, did a very good programme on it) they had damaged the lyphmatic node (lymph gland)  in my armpit (doctor word - axilla) so my hand (and arm) was swelling up.

I had physiotherapy (which was next to useless but the massuese was very pleasant ???? ) and am able to control it - with a compression stocking on my arm!

Jest sayin' (not a doctor) you may have a problem with your lymphatic system and you REALLY REALLY need to get it looked at, and not by the medical experts on this forum like myself (ha ha ironic).

PSOSTSCRIPT if anyone is still reading this (I thank you for your continued interest) I recently had an MRI scan on my arm where they injected some chemicals between my fingers and am due for another kind of scan soon. I only wear the stocking four days a week (day time only) now and my swelling has reduced but still there. Maybe it'll fix itself (could take years apparently, it's been three years already)  but I am told they could do yet MORE surgery to put tubes in my armpit.

Thanks - but no thanks. I'll just keep wearing the stocking.

Anyone know where I can get one in Chiang Mai? My "goto" place is the Pharma opposite Maharaj Nakhorn Hospital - they are pretty clued up there.

Edited by nglodnig

4 hours ago, Lorry said:

Swollen legs are a symptom. You should see a doctor to check what is the underlying disease,  if any.  He might recommend compression socks. 

Totally 100% agree. Don't waste your time here - find someone who knows what they are talking about.

Edited by nglodnig

As others have said, swollen legs are a symptom and the cause needs investigation.

It is most unusual for feet and legs to swell during the night. Or did you mean swollen by the end of the day? Typically swelling occurs after being seated or standing/walking for some time.  Cause can be vascular, cardiac or renal. 

If you meant that there is swelling by the end of the day (and not that the swelling develops after going to bed for the night),  compression stockings will help and so will periodically elevating your legs during the day. Use a footstool when seated.

But you still need to get to the bottom if what is causing it as it could be first sign if something that is or will become serious. 

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As others have said, swollen legs are a symptom and the cause needs investigation.

It is most unusual for feet and legs to swell during the night. Or did you mean swollen by the end of the day? Typically swelling occurs after being seated or standing/walking for some time.  Cause can be vascular, cardiac or renal. 

If you meant that there is swelling by the end of the day (and not that the swelling develops after going to bed for the night),  compression stockings will help and so will periodically elevating your legs during the day. Use a footstool when seated.

But you still need to get to the bottom if what is causing it as it could be first sign if something that is or will become serious. 

My feet swell up at the end of the day and yes, I have diabetes 2 

1 hour ago, still kicking said:

My feet swell up at the end of the day and yes, I have diabetes 2 

Diabetes alone will not cause this but puts you at risk of things that will. 

See a doctor, you need to be evaluated for possible vascular, cardiac or renal disease. 

• 2 weeks later...