Rip-off at famous Thai floating market: "Long running con" investigated after tourist pays 5,000 baht for two hour trip

webfact

45 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

What does this have to do with anything at all? If a price is 400 baht per hour, and you charge 5000, that is a scam, not capitalism. Go back to school before you say things.

Oh dear, you really need to learn how to read before you point the finger at others. The report said it was a different pier than the one quoting 400 to 600 baht.

" At the pier in question there is signage stating charges of 2,000 - 3,000 - 5,000 baht. But the sign is out of the way hidden from view. 

The real charge for an hour from two other piers in the area should be 400-600 baht depending on whether it is a paddled boat or a motorized one.

Local operators said the prices were fixed and suggested that the rip-off occurred outside the market area."

4 hours ago, Celsius said:

I really like it when capitalist comes to Thailand and then complains about Thais being a capitalist.

Remember, in Thailand there is always a choice.... as a matter of fact a lot more choice than back home. If you are lazy to do a research then you really shouldn't complain about being "ripped off". It's called capitalism, not scam.

It's people who come here without doing any research or learning about Thailand. I studied it in depth for quite a few years before I came here, and when I came here I had friends to advise me about stuff like this. I knew about the crooked cabs, I knew not to take cabs from the touts at bus stations, I knew about police bribes, tourist trap roadblocks, etc. All that info is out there, yet people think this is gonna be just like Disney World in Floridaq.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimn said:

Oh dear, you really need to learn how to read before you point the finger at others. The report said it was a different pier than the one quoting 400 to 600 baht.

" At the pier in question there is signage stating charges of 2,000 - 3,000 - 5,000 baht. But the sign is out of the way hidden from view. 

The real charge for an hour from two other piers in the area should be 400-600 baht depending on whether it is a paddled boat or a motorized one.

Local operators said the prices were fixed and suggested that the rip-off occurred outside the market area."

When you have doubts you walk around and ask people. There is always an ex pat somewhere, or a Thai person, who will be glad to advise or help. But you should get your advice before you even set foot in a place. I've been here ten years and I'm still learning and noticing details that I wasn't aware of. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

That's really very naive!

What kind of tourist comes to Thailand and spends 5k a night on a 5 star hotel and then thinks a boat trip on the river cost between 5k and 20k! Tourists need to use some common sense and help themselves just a little bit, nobody ever said you couldn't get ripped off in a tourist area but that happens almost everywhere in some shape or form.

BS

• Thumbs Up 2

If you're gonna come to Thailand with pockets full of money and a t-shirt that says "I'm a dumb naive tourist" on it the scammers will swarm like bees around you. But to them they're just making a living, and charging what the market will bear - capitalism. I mean 60,000 baht? That's almost my entire monthly income. They could have asked around and gotten good advice, why didn't they? I'm willing to bet they carried stupid amounts of cash on their person and in their hotel. This doesn't mean there isn't an issue, this IS an issue, but will anything be done about it? Maybe. There seems to be more cabbies using meters than there used to be. The Bolt app will keep the cabbies in line by competing, and that app is great, I use it all the time. 

• Love It 1

Tourists areas everywhere worldwide have scammers ripping off tourists .. it is what it is. People should research the places they are going to familiarize about the charges. We brought a couple of overseas friends last sept to the market . Booked a motorized boat negotiated down to tb800 for 4 people. Business was quiet then too and more than half the stores were closed. 

• Like 1