What UV protection do my sunglasses give?

Puccini

My weather app gives a UV 6 reading for Bangkok and this web page says:

... A UV Index reading of 6 to 7 means high risk of harm from unprotected sun exposure. Protection against skin and eye damage is needed.

• Reduce time in the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
  • If outdoors, seek shade and wear protective clothing, a wide-brimmed hat, and UV-blocking sunglasses...

How can I find out how effectively my sunglasses block ultraviolet rays? Does the labelling on the frame give an indication:

Polaroid SuncoversTM

P8405A  KIHY2  61   135  032  3  Z

Edited by Puccini

What does it say on the label and packaging? If you see something along the lines of "100% protection against UVA and UVB rays", or "UV 400" then you are good. If not mentioned on the label, or you don't have the label/packaging then likely not to be very good. Technically, if you take them to an optometrist they can do a quick check and tell you but up to you if worth the bother finding an optometrist that will do it for you.

If sure they are genuine Polaroid they will be 100% protection against UVA and UVB.

Edited by Salerno

My Ray Ban's have the letter P for polarized on top left part of lens. Not all Ray Bans have this. But with the ridiculous prices for quality sunglasses here in Thailand and you're still not sure of the quality. Around 12K baht in Thailand. 

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

My Ray Ban's have the letter P for polarized on top left part of lens. Not all Ray Bans have this. But with the ridiculous prices for quality sunglasses here in Thailand and you're still not sure of the quality. Around 12K baht in Thailand. 

Polarized & UV protection have nothing to do with each other.

• Like 1

Bought at a reputable option's shop in Italy.

In the meantime, I have done an Internet search and on a Dutch webpage I found this (Google translation):

100% UV400 protection. Polaroid polarizing lenses protect the eyes against harmful UV-A, -B and -C radiation.

Based on what Salerno posted, I seem to be OK for the protection of my eyes. Now all I still need to do is buy a litre or kilogram of a god sun protection lotion before going on a naturist vacation.

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Polarized & UV protection have nothing to do with each other.

The Ray ban website says 100% protection while another site states exactly as you say. Oh well at age 65 with all my life in the sun, a bit too late to worry now.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

The Ray ban website says 100% protection while another site states exactly as you say. Oh well at age 65 with all my life in the sun, a bit too late to worry now.

Maybe .. eye doc discovered early cataract development in my left eye, and noticeable difference when doing the one eyed 'eye chart' at distance.

Gave me drops for it, and I think working.  Anyway, asked how to slow the progression of, and both (a 2nd opinion was sought) docs, suggested to wear sunglasses.   Sadly, last time I filled my scripted sunglasses, both UV & polarized, I opted for a darker tint, which shortly after, realized I didn't like.  so haven't worn for years ... hmm

Note to self:  go buy sunglasses, and lighter tint, dumbA$$

Good news, it is my left eye, and right (power) eye seems to be fine, which is good, as the one I use with the camera viewfinders.

Strangely, well, not that strange, the drops are not approved for cataract treatment in the USA, and ONLY surgery is recommended treatment ????

Talk about industry control for profits.  I believe the drops are working, as I put in both eyes, and the left eye's cataract does seem to be dissolving.  The tell is the 'crustys' in the far left corner of the eye when I wake up, as I sleep on my left side.  Before drops, never had that much.  And I think I do notice less blur, though was minimal to begin with, before told having.

These are the drops if anyone is interested, and I'm not a doc, so due diligence on your part.  But my opinion, they are working:

image.png.a772b3f6b5e4aa6dcfdf4f8fbcf6aaa8.png

I just restocked online @ ฿85 per, and ordered 10 more.   Local pharmacy sells for ฿100, and doc sold for ฿120.

Cheaper & safer ... IMHO ... than ~฿50k per eye for cataract removal