How do you manage to get good long lasting batteries?

In Full Agreement

Something many don't realize, you can actually "recharge a non rechargeable alkaline battery".  Though not really recommended, but it is possible.

You can also "revive a dead rechargeable battery".

Those that wish to verify those 2 statements, simply search youtube for "quoted" statement.

Edited by KhunLA

Not always …I let a phone battery go flat ..probably only two-three weeks. It wouldn’t charge so a friend offered to give it a few volts … result …failed

He said…. The batter is gone. It was at 0.6V, I injected 5V for over 3 hours with my PSU into it and it only went up to 0.7V in the end 

But it is a fact that many times you can save a flat battery.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, a lithium battery of any flavour is dead dead if it goes below a couple of volts for any appreciable time (even over night) ????  

I've saved rechargeable batteries which were dead and unchargeable by using another battery to put some current through them.

As for the OP, some Lazada batteries are good, avoid fakes (cheap), buy Homepro to be sure, my Lazada rechargeable AAAs have been very good

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I've saved rechargeable batteries which were dead and unchargeable by using another battery to put some current through them.

Yeah.

It certainly works with NiCd and NiMh but I wouldn't risk a Li-ion, too much danger of conflagration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rechargeable.

Assuming you are talking AA or AAA size … look for Panasonic Eneloop or Eneloop Pro technology (pricy)

IKEA-labelled rechargeables are cheaper and reportedly supplied by Panasonic using the same tech … but are lower capacity.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, a lithium battery of any flavour is dead dead if it goes below a couple of volts for any appreciable time (even over night) ????  

Not true.

A (very) smart charger such as Powerex will include refresh and recovery functions that restore near-original capacity to ‘dead’ Li cells.

A slow process though - can take 12 hours to complete all cycles on an AA cell.

But typically these devices can charge 4 batteries simultaneously.

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Something many don't realize, you can actually "recharge a non rechargeable alkaline battery".  Though not really recommended, but it is possible.

You can also "revive a dead rechargeable battery".

Those that wish to verify those 2 statements, simply search youtube for "quoted" statement.

Mad bad and dangerous advice.

Do not try this at home.

24 minutes ago, BananaGuy said:

A (very) smart charger such as Powerex will include refresh and recovery functions that restore near-original capacity to ‘dead’ Li cells.

Which Powerex charger would you recommend for this task?

18 minutes ago, BananaGuy said:

Mad bad and dangerous advice.

Do not try this at home.

I did state 'not recommended' ... unless you're going to pay attention & DO outside ????  That's charging a non rechargeable.

The other, reviving a dead rechargeable is safe to do.  Better not to run them down to nothing.

1 hour ago, BananaGuy said:

Rechargeable.

Assuming you are talking AA or AAA size … look for Panasonic Eneloop or Eneloop Pro technology (pricy)

IKEA-labelled rechargeables are cheaper and reportedly supplied by Panasonic using the same tech … but are lower capacity.

A quick question, if I may. After your post I looked on Lazada for Enelop Pro rechargeables. Now I probably know the answer, but if you have purchased them can you please clarify. One set is priced at 545 Baht for 4 AA batteries. The other is priced at 135 Baht for 4. It appears obvious the second is fake. 

The high priced one has made in Japan on top right, on the left is the capacity of 2550 mAh, and on the right is a battery with 85% life after one year facing left. The cheap ones do not say Japan, the battery on the right faces the other way, and High Capacity is on the top of the card. 

So, am I correct in assuming the more expensive are genuine. I thank you in anticipation for your kind assistance.

3 hours ago, BananaGuy said:

Not true.

A slow process though - can take 12 hours to complete all cycles on an AA cell.

But typically these devices can charge 4 batteries simultaneously.

Chargers for cordless power tool battery packs will not recharge a pack that has dropped below a certain voltage for safety reasons. Pack may catch fire. Bypassing the charger and directly supplying a charging voltage to the pack can raise the voltage enough for the charger to then accept the pack for charging. However if the Li-ion are truly flat there is nothing you can do to bring them back.

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

A quick question, if I may. After your post I looked on Lazada for Enelop Pro rechargeables. Now I probably know the answer, but if you have purchased them can you please clarify. One set is priced at 545 Baht for 4 AA batteries. The other is priced at 135 Baht for 4. It appears obvious the second is fake. 

The high priced one has made in Japan on top right, on the left is the capacity of 2550 mAh, and on the right is a battery with 85% life after one year facing left. The cheap ones do not say Japan, the battery on the right faces the other way, and High Capacity is on the top of the card. 

So, am I correct in assuming the more expensive are genuine. I thank you in anticipation for your kind assistance.

545 baht looks the right price, they cost around that in Australia when not on sale. I have heaps of Eneloops both AA and AAA and don't remember single one failing. All bought overseas, not in Thailand. You can check Amazon, if you buy a few packs it may be cheaper than Lazada even with shipment to Thailand.

• Thanks 1